Discussion Board

C++ Dev Env and Protected Access Areas

I'm developing the software for a hardware prototype regarding an application technology patent for mobile teminals, involving Symbian OS based terminals like N70 and N93.
    So, actually I'm using S60 3rd edition SDK and Carbide C++ (Express version). After a complete installation, the environment work properly and is corrcetly instaled, basing my knowledge on the documentation found on nokia forum site, wide and complete.

For protection and security reasons, while the development environment, platform, SDK with examples and documentation and Eclipse reside on an unprotected Hard disk (C unit), all the specific project documents and sources are on a PGP encrypted Hard disk (J unit).
    The trouble I tried to solve for a lot of hours, seems very strange; I created a test software (PathTest module), a very simple "Hello world" program to check the correct path management by the development platform. When the project is built in debug mode, it works fine: in fact I compile the module and debug it without problems with the emulator. The sources of te project reside on J:\sviluppo\PalmTV\... while all the other components are on C:\... (standard SDK paths as purposed during installation).

When I try to compile the release version of the software, the .pkg file for SIS generation must be manually edited. The problem is that specifing the correct paths, SIS file can't be compiled yet for a further unspecified and very strange error: the file ProvaPath.mif, is not in the same path of the corresponding .rsc file

I expect to find this file in the path [COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]"C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\Epoc32\Data\z\resource\apps"[/COLOR]

Initially I tried to discover what was my error so the .mif file wasn't created, but I discovered the truth only seeing what does happen when I start a full rebuild project (the SIS release). In fact, the .mif file is correctly (!!!) deleted on the directory I expected, but on the J (Encrypted) disk.

What I think is that the IDE in some cases work with the disk-relative path "\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\Epoc32\Data\z\resource\apps" while is pointing to the sources disk (J) and not on the IDE and SDK environmet disk (C).

This is the only way I think may generate this problem, but I think that maybe very useful to investigate to find a good way to solve this problem. Is possible I am the only one developer that need to work on several physical units ?

Enrico

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: C++ Dev Env and Protected Access Areas

Quote Originally Posted by enrico.miglino

What I think is that the IDE in some cases work with the disk-relative path "\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd\Epoc32\Data\z\resource\apps" while is pointing to the sources disk (J) and not on the IDE and SDK environmet disk (C).

Enrico
    There is a known bug in mifconv.exe (and it's actually down in bmpconv.exe) in that it only can generate a header file with an implicit path (you can't specify a full path with drive spec). This is in the Carbide.c++ release notes.

For MIF building you can either move your file around to pick up the proper references or make sure your project and sources are on the same drive.

Tim

Thank you Tim, I can add also that for the java development environment (Carbide.j under NetBeans), this problem doesn't appear.

Was correct to post my message on this board?

Enrico

Nokia Developer Moderator

Lightbulb Re: C++ Dev Env and Protected Access Areas

I think the best solution for you is to use a "NTFS junction" through which to access your encripted data as part of the C drive despite of them being phisicaly on the ecryped drive. It works like a charm for me ...

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta
    I think the best solution for you is to use a "NTFS junction" through which to access your encripted data as part of the C drive despite of them being phisicaly on the ecryped drive. It works like a charm for me ...
    Hi, thank you, it seems a good idea. Actually I'm trying to use a pgp encrypted drive mounted as a local directory on drive C, but it hase some problems (regarding pgp encripted disks and XP/W2000) so not in every case it work properly. I never heared about this feature of ntfs, can you give me some infos ? I don't know how I can practically create this.

thank you, Enrico

Nokia Developer Moderator

That's the way I use it, by selecting "As a directory on an NTFS volume ..." as default mont option for the encripted drive. You can also create the junction by hand, a search on google should give you plenty of info about that ...