Discussion Board

Command line compilation problems

I have S60 3rd edition FP1 SDK installed and have been succesfully using Carbide.c++ IDE (Version 1.1 Pro) to build and run S60 applications (both on the emulator and on a phone). However I have a problem using command line compilation to build applications. Take for example the "HelloWorldBasic" example shipping with the SDK.

The following command works for me: 'abld build gcce udeb' in the sense that the executable gets created in $(EOPCROOT)epoc32\release\GCCE\UDEB. However, I am do not see this file in "Installed" directory when I launch the epoc emulator.

The following command does not work for me: 'abld build winscw udeb'. I get an error "Unable to identify calid CodeWarrier for Symbian OS installation". This is perhaps not surprising, since I do not have CodeWarrier IDE installed on my system.

The following compile targets do not work for me at all: arm4, armi, wins. I get an error saying 'This project does not support platform, build, or program..."

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Command line compilation problems

ARMI, ARM4 and THUMB are release targets for pre-3rd edition SDK-s. WINS is the release target for the emulator of MSB (Microsoft/Borland) SDK-s. WINSCW is the emulator target of CW SDK-s.
    Building for WINSCW from command line requires something to look like a CodeWarrior. I do not know if Carbide can do this, but if you have enough disk space, you can install an evaluation version of CodeWarrior which will continue compiling from command line even after the eval-licence expires - at least it works for me.

Thanks for reply. It makes sense. Any idea why the result of compilation using gcce as target does not show up in the "installed" directory on the emulator. Also, any suggestions on which compilation target should I be using to produce an executable for the phone? Would 'abld build gcce urel' do the trick?
    Last edited by radek_grzeszczuk; 2006-10-26 at 13:48.

The "abld build gcce urel" is the right choice. For getting an icon make sure that you have a _reg.rsc, and it is deployed to !:\private\10003a3f\import\apps\.

Do you think that is the only way to be able to build for winscw on the command line? To actually install CodeWarrior?

I am not sure, but it works for me, and with a sole Carbide it has not worked.

Regular Contributor

radek: GCCE can only be used for target builds. UDEB means to build with debugging symbols, UREL means release build, ie. both "gcce urel" and "gcce udeb" are target builds and can't be run on the emulator.

Carbide.c++ uses the same c++ compiler as CodeWarrior does. However Carbide.c++ does not install the compiler so that it would be accessible from outside the IDE thus a call to "abld build winscw" would fail. I had this solved once but I do not remember the details now (some system environment variables to set, including %PATH% ). It is however doable, and I have the feeling that is also documented somewhere ...

In the BLD file,the PRJ_PLATFORMS option will affect the making of .MAKE files in SDK's $(EOPCROOT)epoc32\BUILD directory.If there hasn't PRJ_PLATFORMS option, BLDMAKE BLDFILES command will only make WINSCW,GCCXML,ARMV5,CW_IDE four .MAKE files in 3rd edition.But in 2nd edition,the result of this command is WINS,WINSCW,ARMI,ARM4,THUMB five .MAKE files.So if you want to build wins platform target,you must add a parameter in PRJ_PLATFORMS option like this:

PRJ_PLATFORMS
    ... WINS ...

You can use BLDMAKE BLDFILES command make VC6.MAKE,and ABLD MAKEFILE VC6 command will make .dsw and .dsp file for VC6.0.

At last,if you want to build WINSCW platform target,CodeWarrier must be installed.And the GCCE platform target needs CSL ARM ToolChain which include in SDK 3rd edition.

How to enable for building for winscw on the command line is described here (in the first post):

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ad.php?t=83677