Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Problems we are facing with Carbide C++. Please help with the solutions

Hello ,

Please do not take it as effort to downgrade Carbide or something like that.
    I have listed some problems related to the latest Carbide 1.1 eval version, and listing down the problems. If anybody has a solution/comment...most welcome.

regards,
    Bharat

Importing:

1)Our project takes 9 minutes to get imported. ( Code Warrior less than 2 mins)
    2)For browsing through declarations and definitions a full C/C++ indexing has to be made.
    However, a fresh full indexing takes 20-30 minutes. (CodeWarrior does this within 10 secs)

Performance:

1)Opening and closing the files is slower.
    2)Browse through declarations and definitions are very slow.

Compiling/Pre process/Linking:

1)No option to right click a file and say compile. (each time a file is changed, the project has to be rebuilt. Not a great solution, since extra time is required for linking and creating .exe)
    2)Each time the project is imported, the include paths order has to be rearranged. (note that even though paths are changed in MMP, Carbide rearranges them)
    3)Is there a way to pre process a particular file?
    4)Can’t create the .exe with GCCE linker. Linker exists saying that path is long. Looks like there is a work around,
    That, symbian release directory can be mapped to X: and X drive can be used in the paths. But this is untidy.

Debugger:

1)Faced a strange problem. The behavior of the debugger depends upon workspace path! Initially I chose the workspace as C:/SymbianWork . I got a strange error like “-98932427432” (by the by error message is only this text). However If I change the workspace to C:/Symbian/CarbideWork , ondevice debugging works well.

2)Debugger crashes randomly while debugging. Note that here I am not trying to debug into the .dll file.

Building:

1)We have around 45 .pkg files in the project directory. While building, Carbide tries to create .sis out of all .pkg files even though it is not told do so.Hence build does not get through. However there seems to be a work around. I can remove the createsis command from the project properties
    and build will pass.( even here .pkg files will be processed, but errors are ignored)

Misc:

1)When the project files are updated from the Perforce, Carbide does not recognize that files are changed. Hence each time a file is updated from
    Perforce, project has to be cleaned and built again.

Re: Problems we are facing with Carbide C++. Please help with the solutions

Wired,i countered the same problem, do u now have a solution?

And i use carbide.vs 2.01

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Re: Problems we are facing with Carbide C++. Please help with the solutions

There is an interview with the Symbian Carbide team you may want to point out your problems to them.

Ron