Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular Contributor

Tutorial Carbide.C++ Express, Chapter Debug

Hello,

I talk about the chapter "5. Debugging programs" in the Carbide's Online help section "getting started".

Between the first two figures there is a note:
    "NOTE: If you don't see the Debug button on your EXE file you'll need to define a Configuration for the program."

I wonder where a debug button should be. And I wonder what EXE file means. The executables used for the emulator are the .app files if I have understood the things correctly. So, there is no EXE file. And what does is mean, a button on a file?

Later, figure 6, there is a screen shown that displays a menu "Message, Message from file" which is definitely not from the HelloCarbide or Hello World progamm. I guess, that's an error.

These things do confuse a beginner like me!

Greetings,
    Karsten

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Re: Tutorial Carbide.C++ Express, Chapter Debug

Thanks for this feedback. I've let the documentation team know.

Ron

Nokia Developer Expert

Argh - that definitely could be a bit better.

The "debug button" refers to the little green "debug icon" that preceeds the program name. The reference to EXE in the first note referred to the ".exe" extension that appears on the compiled program name in the C/C++ Projects view.

The note should more correctly read:

NOTE: If the compiled application in the C/C++ Projects view does not display a debug icon you'll need to define a launch configuration in order to debug the program.

Figure 6 is correct once the HelloCarbide program is running in the emulator and you press the Options soft-key. The Options soft-key is replaced by the Select soft-key when the menu appears. Step 5 does not make this clear at this time, skipping the Options soft-key press. So Step 5 should read:

Step 5. Click the Options soft-key on the S60 Emulator to display the Select menu. Choose the Message menu item and press the Select soft-key to send a message.

Thanks for letting us know about these confusing items. I'll submit a bug report to myself and get them fixed for the next release. If you spot any more, please let me know so I can clarify them for everyone.

thx // frank

L. Frank Turovich
    Nokia

hi
    th to all
    but i need all steps to program on carbide.c++ epress step by step and how to start to write a program on it........

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by amoon108 View Post
    hi
    th to all
    but i need all steps to program on carbide.c++ epress step by step and how to start to write a program on it........
    Doesn't it help: http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n..._1_en.exe.html
    ?
    Check your other threads also for the same answer.

It would be really a good idea to go into the sea rather than guessing its depth by sitting on the seashore.

Kiran.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

Nokia Developer Expert

Writing for the Symbian OS requires some knowledge on the developers part. The video mentioned above should point you in the right direction. Once you've viewed it you should then look at all the project templates available in Carbide to get some basic programs up an running. Start simple and expand as you learn more.

After that, it comes down to putting in the time to learn the specifics within the Symbian OS, C/C++ programming, and the mobile environment in general to write your program.

Also, refer to the Getting Started section of the Carbide manual for additional information that will help you get up and running as well.

// frank

As i need to write basic program in carbide.c++. Pls help to write the program and also to make the program in sis file. Is any tutorial for carbide.c++.

Question Re: Tutorial Carbide.C++ Express, Chapter Debug

I have done helloworld, dialogs, listbox programs in carbide.c++, but i need to write still many basic program in it, so is there any tutorials for that. And also i need to make thise program into .sis file....

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jameskittu View Post
    I have done helloworld, dialogs, listbox programs in carbide.c++, but i need to write still many basic program in it, so is there any tutorials for that. And also i need to make thise program into .sis file....
    Did you check the link suggested in post #5?

I need code for option menu to open various list of item in the listbox. Is there any website to all necessary codes.

Quote Originally Posted by Symbian_Neil View Post
    Did you check the link suggested in post #5?
    I already go through that screen shots, but i need any separate websites like Helloworld tutorial and all.....

I already go through that screen shots, but i need any separate websites like Helloworld tutorial and all.....
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/Tools_Doc...s/Carbide.c++/ contains all the tutorials for carbide.c++ related issues.

I need code for option menu to open various list of item in the listbox. Is there any website to all necessary codes.
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...xt=Search+Wiki use the search feature on the wiki and you will find lots of codes/articles there.

Can someone here teach me how to create a .lib file from a .dll file?

I badly need your reply..