Discussion Board

App. uses active GPRS, PHN-01...do I need a Waiver Request?

I have sent our application that streams live TV to Symbian Signed for signing, got it back and it failed at PHN-01 because if another person called the handset using the application it was redirected to voicemail. But this does not occur if running the application on a 3G network. As I see it, this is a limit in the phone, not in application (Class B GPRS). But do I still need to do a waiver request for this?
    What do you all think? And what is the truth?

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: App. uses active GPRS, PHN-01...do I need a Waiver Request?

Hi,

that's what interesting me also. We're developing network applications (mostly trials for operators), which are dedicated only for 3G networks. Running them over GPRS, where CS calls and data packet transfer cannot be acted parallel could result in similar problems like you have...

I don't know if its possible with public API to detect the type of underlaying network...

Bye
    STeN

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by cartman_ume
    I have sent our application that streams live TV to Symbian Signed for signing, got it back and it failed at PHN-01 because if another person called the handset using the application it was redirected to voicemail. But this does not occur if running the application on a 3G network. As I see it, this is a limit in the phone, not in application (Class B GPRS). But do I still need to do a waiver request for this?
    What do you all think? And what is the truth?
    Even though the device is Class B GPRS, it shouldn't redirect the voicecall to the voicemail. Once the voice call is coming in, the GPRS connection should go on hold and let the voice call come through.

Quote Originally Posted by enstedt
    Even though the device is Class B GPRS, it shouldn't redirect the voicecall to the voicemail. Once the voice call is coming in, the GPRS connection should go on hold and let the voice call come through.
    Then why does it redirect to voicemail? It works perfectly when connected to 3G or WLAN.
    If you want to reproduce the error, connect to GPRS using built in browser, start download a big file and try to call the device while downloading file.

So what you are saying is that it is a bug in the phone/network, and thats why the call does not come to device?

If I am only connected to GPRS and not using it active, then the call comes to device and GPRS goes on hold.

Super Contributor

Then why does it redirect to voicemail? It works perfectly when connected to 3G or WLAN.
    If you want to reproduce the error, connect to GPRS using built in browser, start download a big file and try to call the device while downloading file.
    I cannot reproduce the error with the internal browser or any of the streaming clients I tested it with. So, to me it seems that there's something wrong in your implementation. Priorities maybe? If you could send me your client to nokia.testing(AT)nokia.com, I could run a quick test for it?

I cannot reproduce the error with the internal browser or any of the streaming clients I tested it with. So, to me it seems that there's something wrong in your implementation. Priorities maybe? If you could send me your client to nokia.testing(AT)nokia.com, I could run a quick test for it?
    I will check the priorities, try to lower them. Actually I can't send you the app since it is for the 3rd Edition and uses EReadDeviceData capability so I have to use developer certificate when installing it on device.

Super Contributor

I will check the priorities, try to lower them. Actually I can't send you the app since it is for the 3rd Edition and uses EReadDeviceData capability so I have to use developer certificate when installing it on device.
    I can use my own DevCert to sign it, no problem there.

I can use my own DevCert to sign it, no problem there.
    Of course, forgot that.
    I have sent it now...

Did some more testing today. Same settings as before, GSM/GPRS, the mobile operator i use is Vodafone/Telenor Sweden. Got some intresting results, sometimes call comes through, sometimes not. Anyone have a suggestion what to do? Could it be something in the mobile network?

Did some more testing with the browser that is shipped with the device. If I go to www.aftonbladet.se(swedish paper, quite big page to download) and tries to call the device while downloading this page, call does not come through. I start to suspect that it is the network since it seems to work for other people. I have tried both Telia and Vodafone/Telenor here in Sweden, with same behaviour.

Super Contributor

Did some more testing with the browser that is shipped with the device. If I go to www.aftonbladet.se(swedish paper, quite big page to download) and tries to call the device while downloading this page, call does not come through. I start to suspect that it is the network since it seems to work for other people. I have tried both Telia and Vodafone/Telenor here in Sweden, with same behaviour.
    Yep, it seems to be a network configuration related issue. We tested this with the N80 (in GSM only mode) and in E50, which is a 2G device. In both cases voice call came correctly through putting the GPRS on hold. We used Elisa and TeliaSonera networks in Finland.

New info.
    Our application is now signed, the waiver request I submitted got accepted by Nokia/Symbian, after first being rejected, no motivation for the acceptance yet. I have contacted the test house about this.
    If I can get the info from Nokia/Symbian why the accepted this waiver request, it maybe will give som answers to this issue.

Super Contributor

New info.
    Our application is now signed, the waiver request I submitted got accepted by Nokia/Symbian, after first being rejected, no motivation for the acceptance yet. I have contacted the test house about this.
    If I can get the info from Nokia/Symbian why the accepted this waiver request, it maybe will give som answers to this issue.
    You can see the reason for the acceptance in my previous message.

Super Contributor

Does Symbian provide API's for IP telephony..is it possible to route a call programatically to the inbuilt VoIP client on phones like E61..using my application..?

Also what classes does Symbian provide for Call management in the case of both GSM and IP calls..i mean i dont want to own the call per se..i just want to manage them..get notifications and stuff like that..i know NotifyChanges in CTelephony provides some of the stuff for GSM...what would be the classes for IP Telephony...?

Cheers
    mayank