Discussion Board

Thread: XHTML vs WML

XHTML vs WML

As a developer of a Mobile Web site (wap.hirners.com), I wonder if there are any advantages of XHTML for me or our customers.

At the moment, the site is completely designed in WML and works well on all mobile phones where I can test it. What are the advantages of using XHTML over WML? I don't need style sheets or something like that, I just want the pages being loaded fast and they should work on all mobile phones. When I change the site to XHTML, I do either have to maintain 2 different versions (WML/XHTML) or abandon non-xhtml mobile phones (not very much probably, but at least my mobile phone doesn't speak XHTML).

Is there any reason to use XHTML for me?

Super Contributor

Re: XHTML vs WML

As long as devices still support WML, you should be OK, but the transition is ongoing, so there will be a point where you have to switch to XHTML or full HTML to support new devices.

You could consider looking into various Content Management Systems (CMS software) that allow you to handle different types of terminals (use same content and through different templates and transformations generate different output & and also manage what gets published and where and by whom, etc.).

Re: XHTML vs WML

Thank you. I played around with XHTML MP and the possibilites are great. I'm surprised how well the CSS properties are interpreted and how good XHTML pages look on the mobile phones (and they look the same on every phone).

Thumbs up Re: XHTML vs WML

Just to add, you may want to also look at software that does automatic device recognition and device adaptation, by querying device repositories.

The open source WURFL and WALL projects, and Volantis MultiChannel Server(MCS) are good examples that implement such a solutions.