Discussion Board

Question How do I catch S60 Panics in VC++?

Hi,

I’m using Microsoft Visual C++ .NET 2003, Carbide vs 2.0.1 and Nokia S60_2nd_FP2 for developing my application.

The problem is that Panics (e.g. User::Panic() and __UHEAP_MARKEND) generated by my application are not detected by VC++. The only indication I get is a dialog in the emulator saying that my application has been closed (Program closed: MyApplication). I would like to use the Panic information together with Symbian HookLogger to track down memory/resource leaks.

Is there any way to make S60 SDK/VC++ generate/catch these Panics? VC++ detects similar Panics when using UIQ SDKs…

Cheers
    Stefan

Re: How do I catch S60 Panics in VC++?

Quote Originally Posted by steffe66
    Is there any way to make S60 SDK/VC++ generate/catch these Panics? VC++ detects similar Panics when using UIQ SDKs…
    One way that has worked for me (I am not sure if it is the easiest, and I have only tried it on VC 6.0...) is to use the trick described at http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/mraento/...n/symbols.html to create rudimentary debug symbols for the emulator, and then to set a breakpoint at EUSER::User::Panic.

These symbols are also very helpful for getting better backtraces - since they only map the DLL exports contained in .lib files, there usefulness is somewhat limited compared to the times when Nokia still shipped complete symbol files, but it is much better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by mgroeber9110
    One way that has worked for me (I am not sure if it is the easiest, and I have only tried it on VC 6.0...) is to use the trick described at http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/mraento/...n/symbols.html to create rudimentary debug symbols for the emulator, and then to set a breakpoint at EUSER::User::Panic.

These symbols are also very helpful for getting better backtraces - since they only map the DLL exports contained in .lib files, there usefulness is somewhat limited compared to the times when Nokia still shipped complete symbol files, but it is much better than nothing.
    Hi,

Thanks for the tip-off but unfortunately the link to symbols.pl in the Step-by-step instruction doesn’t work and I don’t get any respond from Mikie who owns the page. Do you know where to get this file?

And a probably stupid question:
    If I want to use the loop described in the instruction…
    for %i in (*dll) do (
    perl symbols.pl %i
    dbggen %i
    )
    …am I supposed to put it in a .bat file and run it from the Windows command line (this doesn’t work however) or what language is it?

Cheers
    Stefan

Thanks for the tip-off but unfortunately the link to symbols.pl in the Step-by-step instruction doesn’t work and I don’t get any respond from Mikie who owns the page. Do you know where to get this file?
    The link http://mikie.iki.fi/symbian/symbols.pl works fine for me - maybe you will have to right-click and save it (otherwise it may open as a plain-text file), or there is a firewall in place for you that blocks Perl files as potentially dangerous...

If I want to use the loop described in the instruction…
    Code:
    for %i in (*dll) do ( 
      perl symbols.pl %i
      dbggen %i
    )
    Yes, this should best go into a batch file - in this case, you would have to duplicate each % character to escape it for batch processing... I have also added *exe after *dll, so that also EXE files with imports (rare, but seem to occur in some SDKs) are covered.

Finally I managed to create the DBG files and it seams like VS .NET finds the symbols, because I can see “'EPOC.EXE': Loaded 'X:\epoc32\release\wins\udeb\euser.dll', Symbols loaded.” in the output window.

The next question is how I can set a break point in EUSER::User::Panic when I use a ordinary S60 2nd ED FP2 SDK (downloaded from the net) where there is no source file for EUSER available!?

The next question is how I can set a break point in EUSER::User::Panic when I use a ordinary S60 2nd ED FP2 SDK (downloaded from the net) where there is no source file for EUSER available!?
    Being able to do just this was, of course, the whole point of creating those symbols in the first place. :-)

I have used the following steps in the past: Break, go to Disassembly, Ctrl-G (Go To), Address, EUSER::User::Panic, set breakpoint with cursor on first line of assembly...

However, it may be even easier to use Edit->Breakpoints... and type in EUSER::User::Panic as the address to stop when creating a new breakpoint.

[Both of these are for VC6... the commands in VC.NET may be slightly different. In Code Warrior, I have not yet managed to do this at all, because CW seems to be much lazier in loading symbol files for "unrelated" DLLs, except if I disable auto-targeting, in which case startup becomes unbearably slow...]

Thanks!

I managed to find out the memory leak with your instructions. :)
    (In the disassembly of EUSER::User::__DbgMarkEnd, the address of the first leaking memory allocation is used as "text argument" in the call to EUSER::User::Panic. I used HookLogger to find out what type of object that was allocated...)

Cheers
    Stefan