Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

REcmt APIs & Carbide PRO

Hello,

does Carbide PRO support the REcmt APIs for Remote Logging in Diagnostics Windows?
    I am using S60 3rd MR; Carbide PRO; Nokia N80.
    I am debugging via USB cable using App TRK 2.6.
    When debugging, it looks like these function calls are properly executed:
    TBuf16<10> plainText( _L("Command1\n") );
    iEcmt.Write( plainText );
    TBuf16<11> formattedText( _L("Number: %d\n") );
    TInt num = 10;
    iEcmt.WriteFormat( formattedText, num );
    However in the emulator Diagnostics Windows I don’t see anything happening.
    I guess I miss something silly & essential.
    What I do is opening the emulator & Diagnostics Window, then launch the remote debugging on device.
    NOTE: application is compiled only for device (ARMv5_ABI2). Is it a requirement to compile for emulator as well?

In the case what I am doing is correct and these APIs do not work on Carbide....
    What is the recommended procedure to get Tracing/debugging messages in a console using Carbide?

Thanks,
    Mik

Regular Contributor

Re: REcmt APIs & Carbide PRO

Too bad: these APIs are not supported yet in Carbide...

Mik

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mikfi
    Too bad: these APIs are not supported yet in Carbide...

Mik
    How is an IDE supposed to support (or even care about) some APIs ?

There's no connection between REcmt and your USB based on device debug session. To get the logs from device you need to install then stat the REcmt service on device and then establish a BT connection between your device and the phone. Then open the diagnostic window (on PC) and run the application (on device) ...

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta
    How is an IDE supposed to support (or even care about) some APIs ?
    Well, this is the answer I got from FNPro. Possibly not directly the IDE, but the TRK doesn't support it...
    However IMHO it would be really cool to see these messages in a Carbide Console rather than another emulator based tool (so there would be a connection between these APIs and IDE).

There's no connection between REcmt and your USB based on device debug session. To get the logs from device you need to install then stat the REcmt service on device and then establish a BT connection between your device and the phone. Then open the diagnostic window (on PC) and run the application (on device) ...
    Sorry, what do you mean "install REcmt service on device"? is that a .sis file that must be installed separately?
    I was expecting that once my code was compiled and linked with these libraries... it would be all done.
    Sorry I am confused also about the connections you explained: if I am debugging via USB cable... (which works occationally) isn't that the only connection I need to see the debugging messages on my PC? Or do I need a separate channel to allow REcmt traffic?

I would be glad if you could clarify,
    thanks anyway,

Mik

I always thought that the instructions were really clear but I have checked again only to find out that the relationship between the "REmct API" and the "Device Connectivity Tool for S60 SDK" is not clearly defined by the S60 3rd SDK [MR] docs. There is a slight improvement in S60 3rd SDK FP1 though...

Quote Originally Posted by S60 3rd Edition SDK for Symbian OS, MR
    Tools and Utilities >> Device Connectivity Tool for S60 SDK

Device Connectivity Tool for S60 SDK
    The Diagnostics Window used for monitoring emulator activities is also available for a phone via a Bluetooth link.

Installation
    First, you must install the following SIS package on the phone:
    %EPOCROOT%S60Tools\ecmt\EcmtAgent_CPP_BT.SIS

Server Startup
    Once the SIS packages have been installed, the Ecmt Server can be started. Search the application list of the phone for an application named "Ecmt" and launch it. This will start up the Ecmt Server with the installed plug-ins, and enable a Bluetooth serial port connection between the phone and the PC.

Client Startup
    Follow these steps to start up the client:

From the Start menu, select Start > Programs > S60 Developer Tools > 3rd Edition SDK > 1.1 – MR > Device Connection.

The Device Connectivity Tool for S60 SDK window is displayed.

From the Port list, select the COM-port which your PC's Bluetooth adapter has been configured to use for serial port connections.

Select File > Connect.

After a connection between the PC and the phone has been established, select Tools > Diagnostics to open the Diagnostics Window.
    Now you can start your REcmt API enabled applications and see the log messages in the output window.

This API is not part of the S60, it is an extension built on top of the platform as a tool that can ease application development. It is a stand-alone logger tool and not a debugger and it has no connection with TRK or with the IDE you might be using.

Best regards,

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta
    I always thought that the instructions were really clear but I have checked again only to find out that the relationship between the "REmct API" and the "Device Connectivity Tool for S60 SDK" is not clearly defined by the S60 3rd SDK [MR] docs. There is a slight improvement in S60 3rd SDK FP1 though...
    What I would find very helpful is some additional note as to which Bluetooth software the ECMT tool was tested with. I found that, on two different PCs running versions of the Widcomm BT stack, we were not able to connect the "Device Connectivity" tool on the COM port created after connecting to the Ecmt Agent on our phone.

In both cases, pressing the "Connect" button after selecting the right COM port would simply do nothing, i.e. the Connect button would remain active, and Stop would remain grayed. For comparison, when using a physical port like COM1, the tool would immediately go to "connected" on pressing "Connect", but of course that did not help...

We were finally able to connect only with a BT dongle configured to use the stack in Windows XP SP2, which produced a COM port named "EcmtAgent" in the "Device Connectivity" tool after connecting to the service on the phone - this was the only combination that worked for us so far.

With WIDCOMM drivers you can easily establish the BT Serial Port connection using the quick connect menu. Then the Device Connectivity Tool will also be able to "connect" ...

HTH,