Discussion Board

Themes with portrait and landscape modes supported?

Hi,

I am trying to develop some themes for my newly aquired N93 and am having an issue with developing themes with both portrait and landscape backgrounds using Carbide UI. The older theme generators (e.g. S60 Theme Studio 3.0) seem to allow you to have a background BMP for portrait mode and a different background BMP for landscape mode however the Carbide UI seems to only allow one or the other (and consequently distorts the image when switching modes).

Unfortunately themes developed in S60_TS_3 do not work on the N93 as I get a not supported error when I try to install (they have been built with a certificate and key). When I import the S60_TS_3 theme to Carbide UI it loses the landscape background (if I have it setup for portrait mode) along with other settings. I have checked the Carbide generated .tdf files in notepad and they do not seem to be the support for different images whereas the S60_TS_3 ones do.

Two questions that I hope someone can answer: -

1. Is it possible have both landscape and portrait modes in a theme developed in Carbide (and if so, how?)

2. How can I use S60_TS_3 to develop themes for my N93?

Any help appreciated...

Regular Contributor

Re: Themes with portrait and landscape modes supported?

Hi,

The older theme generators (e.g. S60 Theme Studio 3.0) seem to allow you to have a background BMP for portrait mode and a different background BMP for landscape mode however the Carbide UI seems to only allow one or the other (and consequently distorts the image when switching modes).
    How did you created different bgs for landscape and portrait? In my opinion it is not possible. Can you please post a screenshot of this?

1)
    In the Carbide.ui (and the same was in Theme Studio 3.0 as well) you can set Background and Idle Background, there is no special setting for Landscape and Portrait mode AFAIK.

2) I do not know, but I would rather recommend you to use Carbide.ui.

Here's a screenshot of the Series 60 Theme Studio version 3:-

Here are the relevant lines from the saved TDF: -

<element id="qsn_bg_screen" name="Background">
    <graphic h="320" status="actual" w="240">
    <image>
    <layer angle="0" colourdepth="c16" entity_x="0" entity_y="0" filename="Portrait_background.bmp" image_x="0" image_y="0" in_effect="Normal" ms="Stretch" name="Layer0" tile_height="320" tile_width="240"/>
    </image>
    </graphic>
    </element>
    <element name="Background (Landscape)">
    <graphic h="240" status="actual" type="still" uniqueid="0" w="320">
    <image>
    <layer angle="0" colourdepth="c16" entity_x="0" entity_y="0" filename="Landscape_background.bmp" image_x="0" image_y="0" in_effect="Normal" ms="Stretch" name="layer0" status="actual" tile_height="240" tile_width="320"/>
    </image>
    </graphic>
    </element>
    <element id="qsn_bg_screen_idle" name="Idle Background">
    <graphic h="320" status="actual" type="still" uniqueid="0" w="240">
    <image>
    <layer angle="0" colourdepth="c16" entity_x="0" entity_y="0" filename="Portrait_background_i1.bmp" image_x="0" image_y="0" in_effect="Normal" ms="Stretch" name="layer0" status="actual" tile_height="320" tile_width="240"/>
    </image>
    </graphic>
    </element>
    <element name="Idle Background (Landscape)">
    <graphic h="240" status="actual" type="still" uniqueid="0" w="320">
    <image>
    <layer angle="0" colourdepth="c16" entity_x="0" entity_y="0" filename="Landscape_background_i1.bmp" image_x="0" image_y="0" in_effect="Normal" ms="Stretch" name="layer0" status="actual" tile_height="240" tile_width="320"/>
    </image>

It looks like the older version could generate both the Background and the Background (Landscape) elements whereas the the newer version cannot.

Of course I cannot verify the SIS/package it works as I cannot load load it to my N93

Regular Contributor

I have checked the Theme Studio 3.0, but there is no landscape background as in your screenshot, your version of Theme Studio is probably 2.0 (you can check Help->About Series 60 theme studio).

The background in landscape and portrait mode is the same (of course it looks differently, but the same image is used).

I do not think that Theme Studio 2.0 package will work, because it cannot create packages for S60 3rd Edition (the older packages (for S60 2nd edition) won't work).

hmm, correct..
    I did uninstall version 2 before installing version 3 however it looks like the uninstall, well, didn't

As things stand then, the functionality that existed with version 2 was taken out with version 3 and subsequent versions, which is a bit of backwards step. Anyway, it seems that using the portrait / landscape flip available to the N93 phone means that you can design a theme that looks right in either mode but distorted in the other mode, until such time as the phone and/or carbide.ui can support both modes in a single theme. probably not worth holding my breath over.....

Thanks for your help.

Regular Contributor

I do not think that the features disappeared, I would rather imagine, that it was not working correctly (probably in 2.0 you could edit both landscape and portrait, but still only one was used, if there is somebody reading this who does not agree, please correct me:-).

Away from topic...:-)
    This is a problem of some Nokia PC software, it states something but works differently. I have seen it yesterday, when I updated firmware on my N80. Although I followed the instructions and made a backup (using PC Suite) before updating, after the update and restoring backup I realized that all messages and contacts was not restored. I can see them in the restore file (*.nbu), but only way I can get to the phone is to write them manually. (PC Suite should be renamed to PC Sh(u)it(e)).

Btw. do you have seen any theme on the phone that has different landscape background and portrait background?

to make the image work in both landscape and portrait, try using SVG graphics. the original image for background is 320 x 320, this square image is cropped to view different sections when in landscape and portrait.

not got it to quite work yet, but svg works much better and distorts less than bmp

Talking Re: Themes with portrait and landscape modes supported?

Actually using a 320 x 320 jpg for background works 100% OK for me as long as you click the "keep aspect ratio" radio button for both idle and active backgrounds.. Using a bitmap theme with the main focus in the "safe area" (ie. the 240 x 240 square in the middle that is always shown) is fine.

Feeling a bit of a chump as it's obvious really......

Now all I need to figure out is how to address the external screen