Discussion Board

Unhappy Program works in emulator but will not start in phone

Hi all!
    We have used 2nd edition Symbian phones such as 6630, 6680 and N70. On these phones we developed and used a tool receiving a file from a bluetooth connection by scanning the inbox, and then pass it to a server using an HTTP connection. However, as new phones are used, we are trying to convert to Symbian 3rd edition. Using the document S60_Platform_Porting_from_2nd_to_3rd_Edition_v1_1_en.pdf and some more documentation found on forum.nokia.com it was no big deal making the code work in the emulator. The phone is another matter, though. The code installs perfectly well on both an E60 and a N73, and the icon is in the correct spot in the menu, but the program just will not start, not giving any notification at all.
    I have read about some problems other have had and posted them on these forums, but I cannot find anyone having the same problem as we do.
    We have successfully created and installed the example HelloWorldBasic program, and have compared our code with this code in detail. Further, we have reduced functionality and linked libraries with our code to not do a thing more than show the standard GUI (hotkey values and white background) in a container (or a view as it is called in the example, both inheriting the CCoeControl interface).
    We have tried about every tip we have found about making the emulator find errors, looking in the EPOCWIND.OUT file but have not found anything either. We are signing the .sis file in the same way as the working HelloWorldBasic installation, and using the same range of UID3.

Does anybody have any clue of what we might have missed? Any help is appreciated.
    ------------------------------
    Niklas Trygg
    Developer at
    Penboost AB, Sweden

Re: Program works in emulator but will not start in phone

What's about capabilities like ReadDeviceData?

In the preferences I have checked the box "Perform capability checks", and unchecked all boxes in the "Granted capabilities for all applications". I guess this would make the emulator give errors if any capabilities is needed. However, no such error is given in the EPOCWIND.OUT file. I get one error, though:

1664.480 AKNSKINS: (Error) "CAknsAppSkinInstance::GetLayoutBitmap Srv update failed -1"

This appears twice, and just before a row saying
    1668.655 RAknUiServer::ConnectAknServer(), handle 1081344038, EikAppUiServerThread

Any clues? We're pretty clueless here
    Niklas Trygg
    Developer at
    Penboost AB, Sweden

I just spent a couple of weeks, on and off, on a problem with the same symptoms while porting an app to S60E3. What finally got it working for me was that I changed the export declaration for NewApplication() to LOCAL_C like in the HelloWorldBasic example. Until then I still had EXPORT_C which works on the older S60 versions.

Now my code looks like this:
    #ifdef EKA2
    LOCAL_C CApaApplication* NewApplication()
    #else
    EXPORT_C CApaApplication* NewApplication()
    #endif

Gary

Thank You for the tip. However, we have aldeary tried that.
    We have kind of put this part on ice for a while, since we cannot find any solution, and does not have infinite amount of time for trial and error, even if we would like it. If anyone out there have encountered the same problem, and have a solution och any more tips of what we can have missed, it'd be most welcome.

Cheers.
    Niklas Trygg
    Developer at
    Penboost AB, Sweden

Super Contributor

Hi,
    I hada similar problem and though it may not be the same. This was eventually sorted by myself and others. It was so hard to find that I wrote a thread on porting this from 2nd FP3 to S60 3rd ed.

see http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...35671#poststop

If you download the example it will load and run, yet on the phone it wont

This is the main change :-

From

15:TARGET bt.app <--<
    16:TARGETTYPE app
    17:UID 0x100039CE 0x101FF1C5
    18:TARGETPATH \system\apps\bt <--<

To

15:TARGET BluetoothPMPExample.app <--<
    16:TARGETTYPE app
    17:UID 0x100039CE 0x101FF1C5
    18:TARGETPATH \system\apps\BluetoothPMPExample <--<

Save changes
    -------------------------------------------------
    Many months on I realise how important to get to the bolded bits right.
    I found this by going BACK and looking AT THIS IN S60 FP3.

Summary
    ---------
    What I am saying is in Nokia E61 I switched to data storage mode using the USB cable and found my icon link did not point to my executable.

Do you have files that need to be opened. The Snow and Rain examples ran well in emulator but did not work on the phone and I could not Apptrk initially
    and that was documented in

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ad.php?t=92750

Finally you may need to load a copy of Carbide Developer for 21 days, build you applications, build with Abld first to build your exports put in the default icon instead of SVG icons. The work through your program using Apptrk on device debug.

Build hello from within Carbide example and apptrk that to get an idea of a good start up of a program.

Good Luck

Jim

Good Lu

Exclamation Re: Program works in emulator but will not start in phone

Same problem here.
    It's very weird I already spent a far amount of time checking UIDs, capabilities and other nasty settings.

My EXE just KERN-EXEC 3 very early in the execution. Before even the first framework call to CMyApplication::AppDllUid.

When On-Device debugging with Carbide.C++ it seems like NewApplication gets call before E32Main?!? It does not make any sense at all!!!

When I debug a simple helloworld it works just fine and E32Main gets call before NewApplication as one would expect.

Ok I just did a reallyclean and it works fine now. Never underestimate the power of reallyclean

I'm guessing my problem was due to that EXPORT_C/LOCAL_C thing for then NewApplication function.

One other thing I changed before the reallyclean was adding a "VENDORID 0" line in my MMP but I have a hard time believing that this was my problem.

Wink Re: Program works in emulator but will not start in phone

I just had same kind of problem, found also the reason.

The project I'm working used to be just one application,
    recently it was put in several parts, some functionality to
    2 different Dll's. And no one updated .pkg file...(with dll file information)
    so sis was created and installed ok, but application didn't start - due the reason dlls weren't there.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by vesamattila View Post
    I just had same kind of problem, found also the reason.

The project I'm working used to be just one application,
    recently it was put in several parts, some functionality to
    2 different Dll's. And no one updated .pkg file...(with dll file information)
    so sis was created and installed ok, but application didn't start - due the reason dlls weren't there.
    Welcome to the Forum!!

Well if you create an empty file in c:\resource\ErrRd , you will see more information regarding the kind of panic. The list of panic codes can be found here

Also check this for more details