Discussion Board

What are libraries/APIs for full duplex voice communication (including rtp handling)?

Hi

I want to develop a voip client using S60 3.0 public sdk. I am facing problem in the media (voice) part.

Can you please tell me of any libraries/APIs which can provide me full duplex voice communication (including handling of rtp)?

I want libraries/APIs which listen from mic and send the rtp packets to other party (convert audio into rtp packets.) and which receives the rtp packets from other party and play them on the speaker (convert rtp packets into audio) and it should be full duplex voice communication.

The libraries/APIs may be open source or commercial.

Thanks
    --deve

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: What are libraries/APIs for full duplex voice communication (including rtp handling)?

The rather old CMdaAudioInputStream-CMdaAudioOutputStream pair can work in a full duplex way on 3rd edition.

Re: What are libraries/APIs for full duplex voice communication (including rtp handling)?

Hi,

Can you please send me an example on how to use those APIs for full duplex ? or any idea how to proceed ?

Till now i have not been able to find any information on how to do full duplex communication.

Please mail the example to
    devendra.singh@wipro.com

Thanks
    --deve

Re: What are libraries/APIs for full duplex voice communication (including rtp handli

Or even better - could you please post any helpful examples (or links to them) here? I'd be interested in working out full duplex communication with different codecs as well! I haven't found much helpful documentation/examples elsewhere...

Thanks!
    Brett.

Super Contributor

This is what the Symbian knowledgebase says

-------------------------
    The Symbian OS reference design does not support full duplex audio because the audio policy has been designed to be simple 'one-shot' audio playback / recording i.e. only one application will have any audio at any time. This policy is in the non-standardised part of the audio subsystem DevSound and so phone manufacturers are able to include full duplex audio in their own designs if they wish.

At present only the 6630 (based on Symbian OS 8.0a) has included a full duplex audio policy. This is, however, restricted and has to be initialised into full duplex 'mode' via a proprietary request. In order to obtain the information on how to do this, 3rd parties are advised to speak directly to Nokia who may be able to release this information.
    --------------------------

So I guess full duplex is still something for which Symbian does not provide much support..and probably we might have to write our own wrapper/implementation or whatever it takes to make this happen on Symbian phones.

Cheers
    mayank