Discussion Board

What are libraries/APIs for full duplex voice communication (including rtp handling)?

Hi

I want to develop a voip client using S60 3.0 public sdk. I am facing problem in the media (voice) part.

Can you please tell me of any libraries/APIs which can provide me full duplex voice communication (including handling of rtp)?

I want libraries/APIs which listen from mic and send the rtp packets to other party (convert audio into rtp packets.) and which receives the rtp packets from other party and play them on the speaker (convert rtp packets into audio) and it should be full duplex voice communication.

The libraries/APIs may be open source or commercial.

Thanks
    --deve

Re: What are libraries/APIs for full duplex voice communication (including rtp handling)?

I hope this thread already discussed lot of things about the same matter: Full Duplex functionality with public APIs.

Re: What are libraries/APIs for full duplex voice communication (including rtp handling)?

Hi vin2ktalks,

thanks for the link. I have gone through many links before posting this question.

But i didnt find any logical solution there.

1) jimgilmour1 told that there is example at pro nokia (charged website) and also told it doesnt work on 3.0.

2) There was no mention of handling of rtp. This is necessary in Voip scenarios.

I could NOT find any solution there.

Can anyone of you tell me the libraries/APIs ?

Thanks
    --deve

Re: What are libraries/APIs for full duplex voice communication (including rtp handli

Full dublex PCM: CMMFDevSound (sounddevice.h)
    Codec: CMMFCodec (mmfcodec.h)
    RTP: RRtpSession,... (rtp.h)

Re: What are libraries/APIs for full duplex voice communication (including rtp handli

I tryed to use CMMFDevSound in 3rd edition SDK but it doesn't compile. Infact, the lib included into the SDK seems to be EABI version 2; I think it refers to 2nd edition release of the SDK. Moreover in the technical support of nokia is written that the CMMFDevSound is not supported. Now my question is: how we can implement full duplex in 3rd edition? Thanks

Super Contributor

Excellent article called
    "Multichannel Sound using CMdaAudioOutputStream (v1.1) "

which may help

http://www.newlc.com/article.php?id_article=113

Multi channel may be similar to Full duplex and in the context of VoIP is that
    multi channel mixing is what is needed

The Nokia E61 support Internet calls ans SIP calls just need to set up with a service provider and thats where the problem for me lies broadband providers do not want to provide the facility.

The NDA Full Duplex code is not difficult to convert.
    copy "C:\Symbian\7.0s\S80_DP2_0_SDK\epoc32\include\mmf\server\SoundDevice.h"
    to C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\Epoc32\include\mmf\server

patch the file FullDuplexExApp.cpp from Version 2 to version 3
    and comment out the RThread parameter changes and
    BLDMAKE BLDFILES
    ABLD BUILD GCCE

now this compiles and you can carry on testing.

But as I said before its very simple and WILL NOT WORK ON MANY PHONES if any. The best way is to use standard codecs to for VOIP.

------------------------------------------------------------

#ifndef __SERIES60_2X__
    #include <eikstart.h>
    #endif

// ---------------------------------------------------------
    // NewApplication()
    // Constructs CFullDuplexExApp
    // Returns: created application object
    //
    EXPORT_C CApaApplication* NewApplication()
    {
    return new CFullDuplexExApp;
    }

#ifdef __SERIES60_2X__
    // E32Dll(TDllReason)
    // Entry point function for EPOC Apps
    // Returns: KErrNone: No error
    //
    GLDEF_C TInt E32Dll( TDllReason )
    {
    return KErrNone;
    }
    #else
    // E32Main()
    // Entry point function for new (>= 9.0) EPOC Apps (exe)
    // Returns: Sistem Wide error codes or KErrNone if all goes well
    //
    GLDEF_C TInt E32Main()
    {
    return EikStart::RunApplication( NewApplication );
    }
    #endif

------------------------------------------------------------------

No secret here just standard patch to build both 2nd and 3rd edition SDKs.

Jim

Super Contributor

Hi,
    Have you tried "S60 Platform: Audio Streaming Example v2.0"

Audio Streaming Example demonstrates the use of Audio Streaming API that provides functionality for recording audio stream into a buffer and playback of the audio buffer. Besides playing, recording, and stopping the audio stream, the recorded audio stream can be saved into a file and further loaded to be played again. PCM and AMR-NB-encoded sample files are included in the package. Audio Streaming API is part of the Symbian Multimedia Framework (MMF) and supported from S60 2nd Edition onwards. Main classes: CMdaAudioInputStream, CMdaAudioOutputStream, MMdaAudioInputStreamCallback, MMdaAudioOutputStreamCallback.

S60 3rd Edition, S60 2nd Edition. Tested with Nokia 6670, Nokia 6630, Nokia N90, and Nokia E60. Created / tested with S60 2nd Edition SDK for Symbian OS, Supporting Feature Pack 2, for C++, Supporting Metrowerks CodeWarrior.

at
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n..._0_en.zip.html

Jim

Jim,

Do you know if it can help to use recording and playing stream in the same time? We require that for a full duplex implementation.

Thanks

Regular Contributor

I have ported the Fullduplex Example for 2.8 to 3.0 but when I created the Sisx File and install it on my P990 it gives the following error "A required capability is not signed for "

Could any one suggest what are the capability required for making it run

Right now I am only giving UserEnvironment and the certificate is also having a Userenvironment

With Regards
    Bharat U

Super Contributor

It might require the MultiMediaDD capabilities..as u r using the multi media framework classes..did u try with that..?

If u can get the full duplex working on Series 60 3rd Edition..please update me..as i am also stuck with the same.

Cheers
    mayank

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by bharatuppal
    I have ported the Fullduplex Example for 2.8 to 3.0 but when I created the Sisx File and install it on my P990 it gives the following error "A required capability is not signed for "

Could any one suggest what are the capability required for making it run

Right now I am only giving UserEnvironment and the certificate is also having a Userenvironment

With Regards
    Bharat U
    Hi,
    I can only suggest what I did to find this.
    I ran my code via the emulator on s60 Ed FP1 and enabled EPOCwind.out from the debug options panel. If you enforce capability exceptions thenyou will find out where the code requires extra capability.

This file is created when the emulator runs, when a capability is requested it it logged in
    "C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Temp\epocwind.out"
    and this means you may find out the name of the requested capability. I only used it to find READ/Write capability so I dont know about audio.
    Good Luck

Jim
    Last edited by jimgilmour1; 2006-11-29 at 12:50. Reason: correct filename add further information