Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

BT NCF driver and Prototype 4

Hi, I'm trying to test a simple BT application. The application simply has to connect to a device that offers a SPP service with a particular UUID number, set by the server version of the application. Using two emulator to test it all is ok.
    I also want to test it with a s60 prototype 4 emulator that uses a Bluesoleil usb dongle ( CSR device) and a real n91 device.
    When I try to connect from the phone to the emulator it is ok if I enter the pin code 1234 on the request from phone. Instead when I try to do the reverse( the emulator connects to the phone) on NCF BT logs I can see that the emulator try to connect (I can see the messages Write_enable, write_authentication) but immediately the connection is refused, I think, because I can see "Disconnect" message on BT logs on NCF.
    Is it due to pairing? What can I try? I tried to change the pin installing bluesoleil driver and the returning to NCF bt driver after having done the pairing with "0000" pin code, but always the pin required is 1234.
    Also if I delete from the memory on the phone the association with the bt dongle it is the same.
    Which is the pin code that the NCF BT driver send? Or better.. does it send the pin code? How can I change it?

thanks

Regular Contributor

Re: BT NCF driver and Prototype 4

Hi, I tried also with a demo application "Bluetooth demo" included in Wireless Toolkit. The results are the same, so it is not a problem of my specific application but it is a more hidden problem of the BT handshaking between device phone and PC. Do you know what can I change in BT NCF driver configuration in order to authenticate the communication between device phone and PC?

thanks

Regular Contributor

Hi,
    Is there someone that uses succesfully WinXP with NCF and Prototype 4 emulator to do BT connection with real phones?
    Could you suggest me a BT dongle to use?

Regular Contributor

Hi, I wonder if nobody can say "Yes I'm using succesfully s60 prototype 4 sdk in BT connection to a real device" !
    I tried two other BT dongles:

Belkin,
    Dlink

both presents the same failure in connecting from Prototype 4 to nokia n91 real device even if the NCF BT usb driver recgnizes them succesfully and is installed correctly. I tried also two different PCs!

In prototype 4 the application is a simple research of a SPP service in devices discovered; in the device it is waiting for incoming connection: the connection seems to be started ( I can see it from NCF logs ) but suddenly after CREATE_CONNECTION and WRITE_AUTHENTICATION it disconnects .
    I think it's due to pairing, but is it a bug? None seems to use succesfully the BT connection on protope 4 ?

Regular Contributor

Exclamation Re: BT NCF driver and Prototype 4 - BUG ?

Hei,
    I test the BT functionality of Prototype 4 s60 emulator in connecting to N91 real device using BTSPPEcho application, the OFFICIAL TEST EXAMPLE APPLICATION PROVIDED BY NOKIA FOR JSR-82 FOR J2ME: the results are the same!! ok disover and connection from phone to emulator , NOT OK CONNECTION FROM EMULATOR TO PHONE !!!

In particular the details given by the application show that when the emulator discover the device it is ok; when the emulator tries to search the services the function servicesearchcompleted() returns SERVICE_SEARCH_DEVICE_NOT_REACHABLE, but the BT of the n91 is setted to "visible to all", in fact it is discovered succesfully. The problem appears to be in connecting phase, unvisible to Jsr82 APIs except to servicesearchcompleted(). I tried also many configuration of BT application settings (as authorize = true/false, athenticate = true/false, encrypt = true/false, setting/unsetting the BT dongle as atuthorized on the phone control panel, erasing the association of the two BT devices) but the results are always the same.

Is this a Bug? Can any Nokia Expert or Champion or other person confirm or explain this behaviour?
    I bought a N91 device in order to test a BT application in developing stage. Is this a problem of the device or of the emulator?
    What could I do? I tried also to change from s60 Prototype 4 to s60 3rd edition emulator for MIDP, but with BT dongle it cannot start the BT from the phone menu!! (BTserver: app.closed)