Discussion Board

Thumbs down Symbian C++ or MDIP: some newbie questions

Greetings

first of all, please apology if this thread is in the wrong place, but I want to start developing nokia based applications and don't know quite sure where to post for help.

I'm a programmer with large experience with the .NET platform, Java and PHP, and now I have a project that needs me to develop a client application for Nokia S60 devices. I'm gathering some info on the internet about the S60 platform development and I must say that I'm very confused. I need to make a decision about what to use in order to develop S60 apps, and I can't make that decision. So I ask the expert community to please give some guidance to this newbie here I am sure that the questions I have some other people (newbies to the nokia development) have too.

The application I want to develop needs, in a fisrt state, to communicate with a server to download some data, that needs to be stored on the device, for offline use. At any time, the user can communicate again with the server to download updated data. The communication is one way: server to device. For this I will use a .NET WebService. Now from here things start getting fuzy to me:

* the Nokia S60 develop can be made using several platforms/languages: Symbian based C++, MDIP, and FlashLite, to name a few. Does the Symbian C++ support communications with WebServices? And does the Java MDIP too? And the FlashLite?

* does these technologies support data storing (databases, or other)? I heared that it is possible to store data on apps based on Symbian C++ and MDIP, but don't know how it is done; if it is SQL-based databases, or others formats. Can you give a hint about where can I find docs about data storage on Nokia S60 devices?

* I read that the Symbian C++ is more difficult to use/learn than MDIP, and this is the toughest decision. I don't have C++ experience What you suggest: should I use MDIP instead of Symbian C++ to develop my S60 app? Remember that I need to communicate with .NET WebService.

* for MDIP, what are the supported IDEs? And for Symbian C++ I can use the IDEs VS 6, VS.NET 2003, CodeWarrior or Borland. Any of these are free?

* for Symbian C++ there is a new IDE: Carbide.c++, with 3 flavors. This IDE is free? As I said, I'm a beginner, and once more I don't know what to use: the express or the developer ed. One note: my app is for commercial use.

* the "power" of Carbide.c++, Carbide.j and Carbide.vs is the same, i.e, can I do the same things with these versions of Carbide?

* I have more other questions, but that is for later

I want to thank the community for the time spent in reading, and replying, if the case, to this thread. And please help this newbie here clarifying my doubts about S60 develop.

Thanks

Almeida

Regular Contributor

Re: Symbian C++ or MDIP: some newbie questions

Hi,
    * the Nokia S60 develop can be made using several platforms/languages: Symbian based C++, MDIP, and FlashLite, to name a few. Does the Symbian C++ support communications with WebServices? And does the Java MDIP too? And the FlashLite?
    Yes the communications with web service can be done with Symbian, and MIDP, not sure about FlashLite.

* does these technologies support data storing (databases, or other)? I heared that it is possible to store data on apps based on Symbian C++ and MDIP, but don't know how it is done; if it is SQL-based databases, or others formats. Can you give a hint about where can I find docs about data storage on Nokia S60 devices?
    There is Symbian DBMS and MIDP RMS, you can search on the forum based these keywords, you will get examples too.

* I read that the Symbian C++ is more difficult to use/learn than MDIP, and this is the toughest decision. I don't have C++ experience What you suggest: should I use MDIP instead of Symbian C++ to develop my S60 app? Remember that I need to communicate with .NET WebService.
    The learning curve of symbian c++ is higher than midp.
    With symbian you can get access to the public API's whereas MIDP API is very limited although, there are other J2ME API's which are not available in all S60 phones.

* for MDIP, what are the supported IDEs? And for Symbian C++ I can use the IDEs VS 6, VS.NET 2003, CodeWarrior or Borland. Any of these are free?
    There is Netbeans for MIDP and it is free.
    There is Carbide express for Symbian C++ and it is also free.

* for Symbian C++ there is a new IDE: Carbide.c++, with 3 flavors. This IDE is free? As I said, I'm a beginner, and once more I don't know what to use: the express or the developer ed. One note: my app is f
    or commercial use.
    Yes you can use carbide for developing commercial application.

* the "power" of Carbide.c++, Carbide.j and Carbide.vs is the same, i.e, can I do the same things with these versions of Carbide?
    Carbide.vs is a plugin for VC++.net, Carbide.j is for deleveloping MIDP/J2ME apps and Carbide.c++ is for developing Symbian C++ apps.

Regards,

rishiak

Re: Symbian C++ or MDIP: some newbie questions

I suggest that if it can be done by J2ME then use J2ME. Symbian C++ would take quite a lot of time just to get started - and you must really have some experience with C++ to avoid even more confusion. As for all projects - we all would surely try to keep things simple and J2ME has so much more supported devices.

I suggest getting the Netbeans IDE with its mobility pack where you can drag-and-drop your J2ME UI easily. And in my view, java.sun.com would be a very great place to start learning about J2ME.

If you really need deep native features then you'd go for a Symbian C++ and you really need a book for this to get things started smoother - a S60 C++ book.

All my best wishes and regards,
    Chad.
    Liberate yourself from the enslavement of World Monopoly!