Discussion Board

Installing Certificates on Nokia S40 device

Is it possible to install a certificate on a Nokia S40 device (e.g. 6103)? I have tried everything that I've read on the internet after many hours of searching forums and Google'ing.

I exported the certificate from IE, saving it as a cer file in DER format. I transferred this file to the phone by dropping it on the OBEX file transfer link when connected via IR - the phone did not recognize it and stored it as a .cer.txt file. I then configured a web server to download the file from the phone's browser with content type application/x-x509-ca-cert. This killed my phone - it won't boot up now, so I'll have to send it in to be re-flashed.

The phone seems to support user certificates - it's a menu item in the Web menu. How are the certificates supposed to get on the phone?

Re: Installing Certificates on Nokia S40 device

Hello,

i´ve a similar problem.
    I think it is not possible to load a certificate on a series 40 device. There are some Root- Certificates from verisign etc. you can use to sign your application. You can buy such a certificate by a certificate authority and sign your application with such a certificate. Than the phone could accept your application.

I think this is related. Please continue there. Anyway:

– Certificates installed (on real phone; emulator is different) cannot be used for Code Signing, only for Internet (TLS/SSL) access.
    – Nokia Series 40 2nd Edition does not support X.509 DER directly
    – You have to convert your certificate into a WPKI one.
    – There is no freeware converter.
    When you still want to know more, please have a search for ‘WPKI’ at the upper left.
    Last edited by traud; 2006-11-10 at 12:22.

Hi,

i think it is possible to receive a certificate from i.e. verisighn or thawte to sign a midlet with such a certificate. When installing this midlet, the mobile phone knows the certificate when the ca´s root certificate is on the mobile phones ROM...

correct me, if i´m wrong....

traud, thanks for the reply - very informative.

I don't need the cert for code signing - just for SSL. Would someone with the right tools be willing to convert a cert for me? Assuming that it is not illegal to do so?

Quote Originally Posted by juppi
    it is possible to receive a certificate from i.e. VeriSign or thawte to sign a midlet with such a certificate. When installing this midlet, the mobile phone knows the certificate when the ca´s root certificate is on the mobile phones ROM.
    Yes, (intermediate) certificate(s) come with the JAD, however, it is neither available for other MIDlets nor for TLS/SSL Internet access.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielv
    SSL. Would someone with the right tools be willing to convert a cert for me?
    Please, ask Google to change or add a good certificate. This way all users benefit. The current situation is a no-go.

Quote Originally Posted by traud
    Please, ask Google to change or add a good certificate. This way all users benefit. The current situation is a no-go.
    When trying to run the Google application on my phone, I only control one side of the transaction, and that's my phone. I have submitted a request to Google to add another certificate, but I do not have much hope for this being done.

If I get a certificate converted to the WPKI format, will I be able to install it on my phone (Nokia 6103)? Do I have to install it via a web browser, or will OBEX transfer work? I still have to send my phone in to be reflashed, at my expense (hoping that it can be fixed), so I would be disinclined to try aonther cert and end up again with a broken phone. I am trying to leverage from the experience of folks who have already succeeded in adding certificates to a S40 2nd ed phone.

You have to install it via the browser. Via Bluetooth or Infrared has not worked for me, yet. However, that is no absolute answer, as I have not tried hard. Furthermore, although I have my own WPKI certificate, I have no converter (-license), so I am not able to convert a certificate for you – sorry. I do not know anyone else here on the forum who has a WPKI.

Ask the Valimo folks what the price would be for one conversion … have the Google root authority ready to hand. Not sure which one they use.

Perhaps they have a server misconfiguration? Here they use thawte SGC CA which is linked to VeriSign Class 3 with serial number 0x70 … . I have not tried the service you use, yet, however, I have that root certificate on my Nokia Series 40 2nd Edition. Nevertheless, I have a bit ‘confused’ operator firmware version. Let us check something else, are your certificates intact?
    Nokia > Menu > Web > Settings > Security settings > Authority certificates > Certificate list > Versign Class 3 Public. There should be three. Check whether one’s serial number starts with 70.
    Last edited by traud; 2006-11-13 at 13:55.

Thanks again for the reply and information. I don't have my phone with me; I sent it to (hopefully) have it repaired. It definitely did not have the Verisign certificates on the phone when I checked in the certificate list.

I am currently exploring other options to get a certificate converted. Is the WPKI spec a public spec? If so, I may be able to write a program to do the conversion myself, but we'll see. Step one is to have my phone repaired .