Discussion Board

Question OMA DM and OMA Over-The-Air Provisioning

Hi,
    I am trying to understand OMA Client provisioning. I need to know the corelation between OMA Client provisioning and OMA Device Management.

Consider a case that PoC client provisioning.
    Motorola document states that OMA Client provisioning is used for "initial provisioning", whereas OMA Device Management is used for "continuous provisioning".

Please help me understand this. I have following queries:

01 When <wap-provisioning-doc> is pushed to Mobile. Consider case like, sim change, mobile reboot, same sim in new mobile, new service created.

02 When is DM management object for PoC is obtained at Mobile. How does Mobile updates the provisioning information. At what time DM server shall update the provisioning information.

03 Can you share some whitepaper/techdoc which details about using OMA Client provisioning as well as OMA Device Management.

Thanks in Advance,
    Regards,
    Saurabh Gupta

Re: OMA DM and OMA Over-The-Air Provisioning

Hi,

I have the same problem as you. have you got the answers ,now? would you please help me with this subject? I am confused with the relationship between OMA Client Provisioning and OMA Device Management

Regards,
    Anis

Thumbs up Re: OMA DM and OMA Over-The-Air Provisioning

Hi,

OMA-DM is the current standard for mobile device management. OMA-CP was the first device management protocol standardized by the Open Mobile Alliance (in 2005). OMA-CP is now being superseded by OMA-DM.

The key functional difference between OMA-DM (Open Mobile Alliance – Device Management) and OMA-CP (Open Mobile Alliance – Client Provisioning) is that OMA-CP is an open loop system. The server can send management commands to the client, but there is no feedback mechanism to ensure that the client has received and acted upon the commands. OMA-DM provides a closed loop system where the server can not only set a parameter, but can also request that the client verify that the operation was successful.

Hope you got the differences.

Thanks and Regards,
    Last edited by abhijeet.banode; 2011-12-10 at 04:49.