Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Question App fails to be launched by Startup Management List

Like so many others I'm experiencing an autostart problem with 3rd edition. When the executable is installed, it is successfully launched by the installer and performs its task. However, after the phone is rebooted, it doesn't.

[aside: I've read extensively on Nokia Forum with respect to "Startup Management List API" and autostart. If you think I missed something don't hestitate to forward the link. I'd rather read it twice then not at all. ]

Here are the steps I've taken.

1) I am using a UID in the 0x2XXXXXXX range.
    2) it is signed with a dev cert.
    3) The resource file contains:

#include <startupitem.rh>

RESOURCE STARTUP_ITEM_INFO watchdog
    {
    executable_name = "!:\\sys\\bin\\watchdog.exe";
    recovery = EStartupItemExPolicyNone;
    }

4) Here is how it is references in the mmp file.
    // autostart - use Startup List Management API to start watchdog.exe during startup.
    START RESOURCE ..\..\autostart\group\2XXXXXXX.rss
    TARGETPATH \private\101f875a\import
    END //RESOURCE

5) The control file is copied to the SW Installer UI server import directory. From the offending package file:

"C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR\Epoc32\Release\gcce\urel\watchdog.exe"-"!:\sys\bin\watchdog.exe",FR,RI

; Startup Control file - Startup List Management API
    "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR\Epoc32\Data\z\private\101f875a\import\2XXXXXXX.rsc"- "c:\private\101f875a\import\[2XXXXXXX].rsc"

6) I believe I'm adhering to all the constrains. From the SDK -
    "The interface defines rules and policies, which allows 3rd party application to make modification to the device's startup list during the installation/uninstallation process. 1. SW Installer UI acceptes the modification request to the startup list only from trusted software. 2. SW Installer UI allows 3rd party application to add/remove to/from the startup list only executables deliveres within their own installation package. 3. Startup list modification requests must be installed to SW Installer UI server import directory (c:\private\101F875A\import). 4. The modification requests are accepted if its name (file name) equals to the UID of the currently proceding installation package otherwise they are rejected. 5. The modification request must contain: Name of executable file, Exception Policy"

No warnings are seen during installation. Is there a way to confirm Symbian tried to start it? If Symbian tried to launch the app and the app failed, is there a log file to check? Comments/suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

-jk

Super Contributor

Re: App fails to be launched by Startup Management List

I would create a little gui app that launches the watchdog process and verify that it can actually start on the device and does not stop within 5 seconds.

Also verify that your package id (the line with the #) is the same as the uid of the resource file.

Regular Contributor

Smile Re: App fails to be launched by Startup Management List

Thanks Paul.

I knew the application UID had to match the resource UID. I didn't know it also had to make the package UID. I've been using one package file with multiple executables. So this wasn't the case. It works if it split it into its own package file.

-jk

Regular Contributor

Question Re: App fails to be launched by Startup Management List

My product is composed of two 3rd edition applications. One is the full blown s60 application. The other is a daemon. I am using the Startup List Management API to ensure the daemon starts after the phone is rebooted. To use this facility, the UID of the package and application must be identical to the resource used to register the application. (see Paul's comments above). This implies one needs a separate package and sis file for it. If one installs two sis files on the phone, it works fine.

Users shouldn't have to install two sis files. If I embed the daemon sis file into the package file for the application. There are no errors but the daemon fails to start after the phone is rebooted. Why doesn't this work? Is there an alternative?

-jk

Regular Contributor

Re: App fails to be launched by Startup Management List

After posting, an answer came to me. There is no reason the package UID needs to be the same as the main s60 application. If I use the daemon's UID for the package UID, it works.

-jk