Discussion Board

ExecuteLD in OfferKeyEventL

I'm shoing modal dialog box in two ways - one way from HandleCommandL - it works fine. Another way from OfferKeyEventL.
    In this case program works strange.
    I check for key code and if EStdKeyDevice3 was pressed I create dialog and call ExecuteLD.
    Dialog is contructed, then PreLayoutDynInitL called. After this immideatly called OkToExitL and dialog destructed even haven't been appared on the screen.

May be it is not possible to call for modal dialogs for offer key event or may be dialog reseives still not consumed key?

How to solve this problem?

Re: ExecuteLD in OfferKeyEventL

Hi

I had a problem similar to yours pertaining to OfferKeyEventL. I created a list box and wanted to handle events in OfferKeyEventL. Like for eg. displaying a information note when user selects third item in list box.

I eventually found out that you have to implement the key event handling in another function called HandleListBoxEventL. Here I get the number of the currently selected list box item using function CurrentItemIndex() And then use a simple switch case based on the number the above function returns.

Please note that before writing the code for HandleListBoxEventL I had to inherit my container class from MEikListBoxObserver and do forward declaration of MEikListBoxObserver.

I also had to implement SetListBoxObserver in the ConstructL of the container. I hope this information helps you.

The point to note is that OfferKeyEventL did not actually handle the key events, it was HandleListBoxEventL which did.

Quote Originally Posted by n-code View Post
    I'm shoing modal dialog box in two ways - one way from HandleCommandL - it works fine. Another way from OfferKeyEventL.
    In this case program works strange.
    I check for key code and if EStdKeyDevice3 was pressed I create dialog and call ExecuteLD.
    Dialog is contructed, then PreLayoutDynInitL called. After this immideatly called OkToExitL and dialog destructed even haven't been appared on the screen.

May be it is not possible to call for modal dialogs for offer key event or may be dialog reseives still not consumed key?

How to solve this problem?
    Was you able to solve this?
    I'm having exact same scenario and I figured that new dialog indeed process still not consumed key.
    The only question is - how to get around it.

Nokia Developer Moderator

On which of the 3 events (KeyDown-Key-KeyUp) do you execute your dialog? And what key are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    On which of the 3 events (KeyDown-Key-KeyUp) do you execute your dialog? And what key are you using?
    I tried all 3.

On KeyDown I have scenario 1 (described in my original post).
    On Key - scenario 1.
    On Up - scenario 2.

Or, sorry just realized, here

In my OfferKeyEventL upon pressing Left Soft Key or Enter I call function which checks some condition and outputs a note dialog with the warning.

The problem is
    Scenario 1
    1) I press left soft key.
    2) On Key event EEventKeyDown I call my function
    3) Check for condition and call note dialog
    4) Boom! Note dialog closes immediately because it captures either EEventKey or EEventKeyUp

Scenario 2
    1) I press left soft key.
    2) On Key event EEventKeyUp I call my function
    3) Check for condition and call note dialog
    4) This time I can see Note. But when I confirm (press either left soft or enter) note dialog destroyed on EEventKeyDown and
    5) Boom! We again in the OfferKeyEventL and calling my function.
    Infinite loop!

It looks to me that the only way to break this would be before displaying Note dialog - introduce a small delay (so Note dialog wouldn't catch EEventKeyUp ), but I don't like this approach.