Discussion Board

Racoon for UIQ3 (Sony p990i)

Hi,
    I'd like to port Racoon to UIQ3
    Where should I start?
    I have installed UIQ SDK and Carbide.C++, made some tests, a sample application.
    Now, what to do wit the sources? Can I use Carbide with them? Where to put them if so?
    Else, if I use the cmd line to build, I have an error message:
    # bldmake bldfiles
    WARNING: EPOCROOT does not specify an existing directory
    BLDMAKE ERROR: Can't find "\devel\symbian\racoon\src\mws\phone\BLD.INF"

Thanks to help.
    -jec

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Racoon for UIQ3 (Sony p990i)

Hi,

I don't have any experience in building software for UIQ3, so partly I'm guessing here...

And I don't use the Eclipse based environment, but work with emacs and the Cygwin-shell, so unfortunately I can't provide hints on how to build using the development environment.

But building from the command line is straightforward. You should define EPOCROOT to the path of the directory where the epoc32 directory is located. On the S60v3 SDK that is \Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR\ or something like that (I'm not at my development machine right now); on UIQ3 probably something else. Note that the drive-letter is missing and that there is a trailing back-slash.

Further, some of the build scripts (currently) assume that the mws-directory is located right next to the epoc32-directory, that is, in the directory specified by EPOCROOT, so you should relocate your sources there.

Having done that, you should in principle be able to build the whole shebang by entering mws/phone/group and:

# bldmake bldfiles
    # abld build gcce urel

Basically everything under mws/phone except for .../ui does not depend on S60 but only on Symbian, so it should build nicely. However, there are certain native Apache modules that do depend on S60 and those you will have to comment out.

You probably have to rewrite everything under mws/phone/ui. I suggest you create a directory mws/phone/ui/UIQ3.

BR,
    Johan

I tried to compile and I have 3 compilation errors:
    Not attempting to create "\Symbian\UIQ3SDK\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\httpdc.lib"
    from frozen .DEF file, since EXPORTUNFROZEN specified.

What does that mean?

And the other:
    make -s -r -f "\Symbian\UIQ3SDK\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\devel\racoon\src\mws\phone\group\MWSUTIL\WINSCW\MWSUTIL.WINSCW" RESOURCEUDEB
    make[1]: *** No rule to make target `\Symbian\UIQ3SDK\EPOC32\INCLUDE\avkon.rsg', needed by `\Symbian\UIQ3SDK\EPOC32\DATA
    \Z\resource\apps\mwsutil.RSC'. Stop.
    make: *** [RESOURCEMWSUTIL] Error 2

Thanks for your help.

Nokia Developer Expert

The warning "Not attempting...since EXPORTUNFROZEN specified" you can ignore. Typically, before releasing a DLL, you "freeze" it, which means that permanent ordinals are assigned to the functions exported from that DLL. This is to ensure that applications that have been built against a particular version of that DLL will continue to work against a new version of that DLL.

Since the Raccoon DLLs are only used by other Raccoon components and they are all released in one go anyway, and since the software is still evolving I havn't bothered freezing the DLLs but have instead specified that EXPORTUNFROZEN.

The complaint about avkon.rsg is more serious because it actually indicates that mwsutil depends upon S60. I have to look into this tomorrow when I am at work.

Sorry,
    Johan

Personal question: in which timezone are you?
    Would you mind exchanging emails instead of using this forum?

My email: jec at jesc dot ch
    My TZ : GMT+1, Central Europe, Switzerland

Nokia Developer Expert

I'm in GMT+2.

It's ok for you to mail me directly, if you'll make detailed enough notes about the porting process, for later inclusion in our Wiki-pages

johan.wikman at nokia.com

Nokia Developer Expert

To make this smooth, we need to be able to identify when the code is being compiled for S60 and when for UIQ3.

Please check the file mws/phone/include/mws/platform.h

There it is figured out which S60 SDK the code is being compiled with, and a bunch of defines are defined accordingly. For instance, when compiling using the S60v3 SDK, after the inclusion of platform.h, the following defines are defined:

MWS_SYMBIAN_MAJOR 9
    MWS_SYMBIAN_MINOR 1
    MWS_SYMBIAN_9
    MWS_SYMBIAN_9_1
    MWS_S60_MAJOR 3
    MWS_S60_MINOR 0
    MWS_S60
    MWS_S60_3
    MWS_S60_3_0

You need to add stuff for detecting when the UIQ3 SDK is being used. Then, when that is in place it will be possible to do things differently depending on whether the code is being compiled for S60 or UIQ3.

Note that platform.h is included by a number of different tools, so it must not contain anything else but what the C-preprocessor can understand.

Johan

Any news on the porting work?

/Adam