Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular Contributor

Converting application developed in Series 60 to series 40 and series 80 phones

Guys i have a quick question. i have developed an application using the series 60 SDK. Now in order to increase the range i want to convert this application for series 40 and series 80. I tried my application series 40 phone that is Nokia 6233 it did not work.

so my question is how much difference is there between series. Keep in mind my application involves bluetooth communication, communicating to a server and little bit of image display using canvas and key press events for scrolling.
    Regards
    Nouman

Super Contributor

Re: Converting application developed in Series 60 to series 40 and series 80 phones

6233 supports all of the functions you mentioned. What part of the application did not work? If the server connection failed, are you sure the netwok connections are properly defined (see for example here http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/view_entry.html?id=282)

You should be able to get your app working on Series 40 devices pretty easily. Note, that there are some UI differencies, like how the commands are assigned to softkeys when using high-level UI, but in your case that should not be a problem (as you are using canvas)

Hartti

Regular Contributor

Re: Converting application developed in Series 60 to series 40 and series 80 phones

hi harti thanx very much for reply.

so far my bluetooth communication works. image communication works on series 40 mobile 6230i at present but when i try to open a http connection to send data to server gives me an exception. the url is of an aspx page
    here is a code if u guys could help me.

hc = (HttpConnection) Connector.open(setting.GetURL(),Connector.WRITE);
    hc.setRequestMethod(HttpConnection.POST);
    hc.setRequestProperty("Host",this.getHostName(setting.GetURL()));
    hc.setRequestProperty("Content-Type", "application/x-www-form-urlencoded");
    hc.setRequestProperty("Content-Length",String.valueOf(message.length()));
    DataOutputStream outStream = hc.openDataOutputStream();
    outStream.write(message.getBytes());
    outStream.flush();
    dis = new DataInputStream(hc.openInputStream());
    int ch;
    message= "";
    while ((ch = dis.read()) != -1)
    {
    message = message + (char) ch;
    }

where hc is an Http Connection and Message is my string which i want to send to my aspx page and then also receives the response into it. I would like to know if there is something wrong here. the mobile is not been able to access the GPRS
    Regards
    Nouman

Super Contributor

hi Nouman,

have you configured your access point correcty?
    that technote outlines required steps exactly for 6230i device:
    http://forum.nokia.com/Technical_Lib...figuration.htm

regards
    peter

Regular Contributor

well issue is everything is configured GPRS is working fine. We are been abe to communicate with the server of the aspx page but issue is server in return is sending us invalid Header "bad request"

Can anybody tell me what will i have to do to solve this Problem. i am using 6230i

any kind of information will be highly appreciated
    Last edited by nicenouman; 2006-11-17 at 09:33.
    Regards
    Nouman

Super Contributor

Can you see from the server logs what the request coming from the phone looks like? Would be much easier to debug...

Hartti

Regular Contributor

Thanx harti but i manage to get the job done anyway. Nokia 6230i has a bit old browser and there were few header that i was using had to be remove since there was no support for them in this particular version.

but i have another question. is there are way that i can find out wheather the mobile is a series 60 mobile or series 40 mobile programtically via my midlet
    Regards
    Nouman

Super Contributor

Not directly, if my memory serves me right. I had a vague recollection that some system property string would be available for that, but apparently I got mixed up with the UserAgent header information.

You can find out the mobile phone model using "microedition.platform", and then you could have a lookup table for S60/Series 40 devices. Would get outdated soon, though.

Hartti

Super Contributor

hi Hartti,

shouldn't that work?
    Code:
        public static final int SERIES_40 = 0x4;
        public static final int SERIES_60 = 0x8;
        public static int PLATFORM_VERSION;
        static{
            if(System.getProperty("com.nokia.mid.timeformat") == null){
                PLATFORM_VERSION = SERIES_60;
            } else {
                PLATFORM_VERSION = SERIES_40;
            }
        }
    "com.nokia.mid.timeformat" is supposed to be S40 only property

regards,
    Peter

Super Contributor

Hmmm... yes... but no.
    I already found one error in the SystemProperties document today (related to the IMEI code info). This seems to be the second one. At least on those S60 3rd Edition devices (E61 and N75) I tested this on, this returned valid time format string.

I have notified the documentation team on this.

Hartti

Regular Contributor

Interesting thoughts fellas, really enjoyed reading these posts from u guys.
    by reading your posts i think it would better if i could keep a separate version of my midlet for series 40 and 60. I mean if there is a way and its going to be outdated in future then its better to be safe then sorry.

Also how about series 80 mobiles. on nokia i have only manage to find two devices so far Nokia communicators 9300 and 9500.
    Are there any more devices out there. i mean these communicators are quite expensive.??
    Regards
    Nouman

Super Contributor

If your users download the midlet from a server, you can at that point serve the correct version for each device group (the User agent header contains info about the platform).

9300 and 9500 are the only devices out there from Series 80.

Hartti

Regular Contributor

well i if there r only two devices which support series 80 then i dont think its feasible to convert it. but anyway thanx a lot guys for your help. i really appreciate it
    Regards
    Nouman

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by hartti
    Hmmm... yes... but no.
    [...]At least on those S60 3rd Edition devices (E61 and N75) I tested this on, this returned valid time format string.
    thanks Hartti,
    Iv'e hinted that few times on DiBos already so now I see that was wrong approach,
    regards,
    Peter

Regular Contributor

Guys i have another quick question.

Why Nokia opted for different platforms. i mean why there exists a series 40 Platform and series 60 and series 80 platform. what makes them different. is it the hardware of mobile device or something else which determines the platform. i mean i have converted my application from series 60 to series 40 without much trouble. if they r not that different then why defferentiate between series.
    Regards
    Nouman