Discussion Board

Symbian Signed test criteria

GEN-03 Scalable UI Compliance – Symbian OS v9 onwards only
    "The application should function and render its display as specified, regardless of the device screen resolution and format."

I think it is not Nokia or Symbian business how my application looks like.
    Is it some bunch of policemans who developed Symbian 9 OS or over-creative people? Are developers children in kindergarden?

About restrictions: Isn't much simpliest for Nokia/Symbian to develop built-in antivirus software instead of all this capababilties, mandatory signing, test houses etc?

P.S.
    its very hard for me to believe about 12,300 signing instances from this article: http://www.newlc.com/Symbian-Signed-...ast-Track.html

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Symbian Signed test criteria

Quote Originally Posted by kompotFX
    GEN-03 Scalable UI Compliance – Symbian OS v9 onwards only
    "The application should function and render its display as specified, regardless of the device screen resolution and format."

I think it is not Nokia or Symbian business how my application looks like.
    Is it some bunch of policemans who developed Symbian 9 OS or over-creative people? Are developers children in kindergarden?
    It is not that bad. At least in my reading the mentioned sentence prescribes that your application should work with the various screen resolutions. For example if you develop on N80 (352x416) it is not a viable option that owners of other devices with resolutions of 176x208 or 240x320 would see only the top-left quarter of of what your application renders.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by kompotFX
    built-in antivirus software [/url]
    Doens't anti-virus software work by knowing specifically what viruses there are and eliminating them - so if its built in how does that work then?

same way as you downloading and installing applications on your phone, you can download and install antivirus updates from nokia site. Dont see any problem here.

Nokia Developer Champion

I was just wondering if there was special emphasis in your use of the word "inbuilt" instead of just saying why don't SYmbian/Nokia use anti virus software.

How often have you heard of a world-wide virus spreading in days on windwos and, for example, bringing corporate networks down as they clog up the system with millions of emails. Happens quite frequently every year. Yet windows has hoards of anti-virus programs for it, if an anti virus program is panacea howcome this sort of thing continually happens, if it doesn't work for other systems why would it work for Symbian?
    Prevention isn't better than cure in your eyes then obviously.

If you're looking for a debate/argument/complain about things you're more likley to find a relevant forum on somewhere like newlc.com than on a help forum.
    Last edited by hotcheese; 2006-11-17 at 01:22.