Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Carbide.c++ Express Problems

Hi,

I am working on a project that involves using mobile phone and WiFi protocols. However, I am new to Symbian development (but not to C++), so I am trying to get to grips with it by building the simple HelloWorld app. I had previously tried to get the SDK to work with the Visual C++ 6.0 IDE, but I was having a lot of problems in trying to get it to work, also I read in a forum that this IDE did not support the 3rd Edition SDK.
    So now I have got the Symbian 3rd Edition FP1 SDK and the Carbide.c++ Express IDE. I have followed the tutorial to generate a workspace, which I understand can be built straight away. The workspace is in a path with no spaces and the SDK has been installed to the default directory.
    When I try to build the project I have created, I get the following error:

ERROR: Unable to open file for reading! \Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1_3\epoc32\wins\c\system\temp\s3k0.tmp\C__Symbian_Carbide_Workspace2_HelloCarbide_gfx_qgn_menu_HelloCarbide.svgb

Also, whenever I start the build, I get a Windows error part of the way through saying that "svgtbinencode.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close"...etc. I assume the two are linked somehow, whichmeans it might not even be problem with Carbide.

It would be greatly appreciated if someone explain to me what this error is about, have I messed up the installation somehow? is this SDK supported? I really want to get part this set up point so I can start some actual coding.

Thanks in advance
    Nigel

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Carbide.c++ Express Problems

I've never seen this one and I don't know why svgtbinencode.exe would be invoked (it's under epoc32\release\winscw\udeb\.

You might try to create a project from a template (File > New > S60 3.0 Project) and build. If there are still problems, try to build from the command-line. At first glance this doesn't look like a Carbide problem.

Thanks,
    Tim

Super Contributor

I have seen this problem in S60 SDK 3rd FP1 too. It's not a problem of Carbide. Unfortunately, I don't know how to solve the problem...

I would recommend you to use S60 SDK 3rd MR if you don't need any new features in FP1.

Antony

Regular Contributor

I had a feeling it wasn't a Carbide problem, I'll try the 3rd edition without the feature pack and see how that goes

Regular Contributor

I have installed the 3rd edition (not the maintenance release). I had an issue with the install exiting unexpectedly with no error messages, I searched the forums and found that I had to create a file called S60_3rd.xml, why is this?

Anyway, I recreated the project and can now build the project. My only issue is that there are number of warnings from the build:

Warning: (045) the following label is used but has not been declared: R_AVKON_SOFTKEYS_OK_CANCEL[C:\\Symbian\\9.1\\S60_3rd\\epoc32\\include\\avkon.rh] HelloCarbide line 683 18 November 2006 19:31:45 13
    Warning: (045) the following label is used but has not been declared: R_AVKON_SOFTKEYS_OK_CANCEL[C:\\Symbian\\9.1\\S60_3rd\\epoc32\\include\\avkon.rh] HelloCarbide line 693 18 November 2006 19:31:45 14
    Warning: (045) the following label is used but has not been declared: R_AVKON_LIST_HEADING_PANE[C:\\Symbian\\9.1\\S60_3rd\\epoc32\\include\\avkon.rh] HelloCarbide line 220 18 November 2006 19:31:45 12
    Warning: (045) the following label is used but has not been declared: R_AKN_SELECTION_LIST_DIALOG[C:\\Symbian\\9.1\\S60_3rd\\epoc32\\include\\avkon.rh] HelloCarbide line 823 18 November 2006 19:31:45 15
    (047) the STRUCT that this resource is based on contains a STRUCT[] data member which has not been used in this resource, the missing element is: 'view_list' HelloCarbide.rss HelloCarbide/data line 127 18 November 2006 19:31:45 11
    (047) the STRUCT that this resource is based on contains a STRUCT[] data member which has not been used in this resource, the missing element is: 'service_list' HelloCarbide_reg.rss HelloCarbide/data line 24 18 November 2006 19:31:45 18
    (047) the STRUCT that this resource is based on contains a STRUCT[] data member which has not been used in this resource, the missing element is: 'file_ownership_list' HelloCarbide_reg.rss HelloCarbide/data line 24 18 November 2006 19:31:45 17
    (047) the STRUCT that this resource is based on contains a STRUCT[] data member which has not been used in this resource, the missing element is: 'datatype_list' HelloCarbide_reg.rss HelloCarbide/data line 24 18 November 2006 19:31:45 16

Also, the emulator crashed during debugging...but any progress is good progress

Nokia Developer Moderator

Did that 'svgtbinencode.exe error stop after you switched SDK??

am facing the same problem and your workaround would be great help and would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    cheers
    Neil

Regular Contributor

I switched from the 3rd Edition FP1 to the plain old 3rd Edition and I was able to build the project successfully.

Which SDK are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by NigelT
    I switched from the 3rd Edition FP1 to the plain old 3rd Edition and I was able to build the project successfully.

Which SDK are you using?

Thanks Nigel.

I have been using 3rd edition FP1 at the moment. But that problem hasnt occured again after I changed the preference in emulator(I de-selected the just in time error check) Dont know if that was responsible, or the error is just hybernating at the moment

Cheers
    Neil

Regular Contributor

There's a preference in the emulator?? I didn't know this and physically switched SDK's. Where is this option located?

Quote Originally Posted by NigelT
    There's a preference in the emulator?? I didn't know this and physically switched SDK's. Where is this option located?
    On the emulator..tools..preference..c++ debug..just in time..un-select (atleast thats what i did and hasnt occured till now). Although I am not sure what you mean by physically switched SDKs

good luck and cheers
    Neil

Regular Contributor

I installed the 3rd edition with feature pack 1 and installed the 3rd edition without.
    Although I think I will have to go back to the 3rd edition with feature pack as I plan to use WLAN and it seems the APIs are only available in the 3rd edition with feature pack 1

So you have the Carbide.c++ Express IDE successfully building and running with the 3rd edition FP1 SDK? I checked my settings and it seems that I already had that option unchecked, I am going to go back to the 3rd edition FP1 and see if that option is checked.
    Last edited by NigelT; 2006-12-14 at 14:39.

The svgtbinencode.exe problem is documented in Forum Nokia's Technical Library. You can also find there some hints about using WLAN with S60 3rd Edition SDK.

Best regards,

Thanks ltomuta for the doc.

@Nigel : as I thought, that Just in time made the difference. Check your FP1 setting, maybe you have it enabled.

Goodluck and cheers
    Neil

Unhappy Re: Carbide.c++ Express Problems

This is an annoying bug and the workaround is not really adequate for the following reasons:

1. The /X flag is not recognized by the tool prior to S60 3rd FP1, so for example using the flag in S60 3rd MR SDK causes the SVG tool to abort.
    2. Using the /X flag in FP1 will stop this tool being called, therefore causing the build process to be incomplete. Omitting the /X flag causes the whole build process to stop until the program error dialog is dismissed.
    3. JustInTime debugging is an essential feature, developers should not be forced to turn this off just because the tool crashes.

Can Nokia please release a new version of svgtbinencode.exe with the memory leaks fixed or alternatively release the source code to this program so the tool can be fixed?

P.S. The document has moved here

Obviously the problem should be fixed but until that happens:
    - the MIF files should only be built once as they are not expected to change (too often)
    - the MIF files can also be built outside the normal project build process if needed and then, for a few seconds, you can disable the JustInTime feature.
    Last edited by ltomuta; 2007-04-05 at 14:36.