Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Angry Carbide 1.5 killed my Windows XP user (my documents, desktop and so on)

I am REALLY disappointed and MAD over what just happended.

I chose to integrate with an eclipse directory in 'my c:/documents and settings/username' - my username has the nordic letter 'ø' in it- and the result was that the installastion came to a stand-still and that all files in my account were deleted (!!) and another directory in the documents and settings directory with my username only an O instaead of an Ø was created.

Words cannot express the total, utter incompetance of this product. I have never seen an installer doing something close to as bad as this. This is totally unacceptable and I demand an excuse!

Probably I was lucky it did not completely whipe my hard drive! Can you imagine an application that even deletes from parent directories. Grrrrrrr!

Thank you Nokia, for

- letting me delete 2 weeks of spam AGAIN
    - forcing me to manually link up my installed programs to the start menu and reconfigure settings in (probably) all programs
    - for the photos in 'my pictures' noone ever will see again
    - for my outgoing mail that was lost
    - for the time spent

And yeah, this IS a bug report in case YOU did not understand!!!!

Re: Carbide 1.5 killed my Windows XP user (my documents, desktop and so on)

IF YOU DONNOT INSTALL OR UNINSTALL FILES YOU MAY RECOVER ANYTHING DELETED.

Download an app named "file scavanger" and it will read the deleted directories.

You may also use "Get data back for NTFS/FAT"

(i hope this won't be considered as a spam. The user lost valuable data )

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Nokia installation should not result in any loss of data. I am contacting the Carbide team to see what happened and what steps can be done to prevent this happening again. I thank you for bringing this to our attention, and may request additional information from you as to how this occured.

I should have more once I've contacted and gotten a response from the Carbide team.

Ron

Nokia Developer Expert

How awful! I'm dreadfully sorry. I've never heard of anything like this occurring before. I need more information from you, though -- you mentioned Carbide v1.5. Can you tell me which flavor of Carbide you were trying to install? If it was Carbide.c++ I can help you. (This is unlikely -- our latest release is v1.1) If not, let me know if it was Carbide.j, Carbide.vs, or Carbide.ui and we'll find someone to help you out.

Regards,

Matt P.

Regular Contributor

Post Re: Carbide 1.5 killed my Windows XP user (my documents, desktop and so on)

I have a screenshot of the Carbide.j 1.5 installer locked up including my (lost) directories in explorer in the background. I will email it if you can send me your email address (the Nokia forum mailer does not seem to support attatchments).

As for my system - some apps will not start even after reinstall, so a full restore will probably be the best alternative now

Nokia Developer Expert

I am moving this thread to the Java board, and I've asked Ron to get a Carbide.j expert in touch with you.

Regards,

Matt P.

Super Contributor

First of all, I am sorry for the trouble caused. We have analysed the situation and here is a brief summary (tested on XP SP2 English):

We created a test user Øøuser with home directory C:\Documents and Settings\Øøuser and Eclipse home C:\Documents and Settings\Øøuser\eclipse. The root cause for what then happened (at least on the system where we did the test) was that Windows set a few parameters incorrectly in this case, from the command prompt we get:

USERNAME=Oouser
    USERPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\Oouser

Note the incorrect spelling, courtesy of XP! Java and the installer use these Windows parameters in their operations and trust that they are correct.

Even with these settings, in our tests, the plug-ins were correctly installed into C:\Documents and Settings\Øøuser\My Documents and Settings\eclipse\plugins as they should

However, due to the installer putting some othet stuff into $USER_HOME$
    (like the uninstaller, update manager xml file etc) these were created into C:\Documents and Settings\Oouser due to how XP has set the user parameters.

We also tried uninstallation in this case which then partially failed to remove some information but DID NOT remove the original user directory. We also tried stopping the installler manually at random instances during the installation, none of which did delete the original home directory.

So while it is obvious that there is a problem with the installer in your situation, this is not really due to Carbide.j but mainly originating in how Windows XP sets user settings combined with how the installer (and Java) behave. Also it seems that the fact that the files were deleted is not directly caused by the installer, at least not to a degree that we could have avoided even with more extensive testing.

To the best of our understanding there seems to have been some other occurence that has coincided with the installation, possibly a disk crash or the disk filling up or something similar as it seems that just running the installation in your situation would not have the consequences that you face.

All our experts however agree that most likely the files (if that is still relevant) can be recovered from the disk with some file recovery utility.

Regular Contributor

Exclamation Re: Carbide 1.5 killed my Windows XP user (my documents, desktop and so on)

The Carbide.j installer was for windows XP and so arguing that the problem is one of XP and could not be avoided is simply not true as long as the XP problem is deterministic.

However it is good that you are making some progress. And about 'some other occorance' please ask yourself:

What is the chance of a random bug in some other program occoring at the same time as the Carbide.j installer which gives two directories in Documents and Settings - one original and one a copy with o instead of ø - in the context of that the Ø-O problem has been detected in your installer ?

So what I am arguing is that your assumtion is very, very unlikely compared to the chance of a bug in your installer.

Note that the user account directory was not deleted, only it subdirectories. I have a screenshot showing the excact progress of the installer when it locked.

I am sure that some files can be recovered, but I was unable to find the time to recover the data without the progress of my work really suffering. And as the installer typically uses the disc, I did not feel that confident the files would be fully recovered anyway.

Super Contributor

While the occurrence has surely been painful, it is worth remembering also that the program has probably been downloaded a few tens or hundreds of thousands of times (or whatever), and installed more times than that by the same or different people, and that so far you seem to be the only one reporting this particular behaviour.

It of course doesn't mean that others have not encountered this particular issue, but it sounds serious enough that I suspect it would have been reported immediately (just as you did).

And in any case, it wouldn't in my experience be the first time some peculiar combination of hardware, Windows, other apps, registry clutter, etc., has caused software to fail in an unpredictable manner that was never discovered when it was developed.

And as you were downloading a software development tool, and unless you're a "newbie", I suspect you've had your share of hard-to-reproduce (or even impossible to reproduce) bugs to hunt, which turned out to be due to a fault in somebody else's software or hardware all along.

In my opinion, there doesn't seem to be enough evidence yet to rule out the possibility that some external condition to Carbide.j resulted in behaviour you saw, but what mitts et al couldn't reproduce.

Stepping down from my soapbox now.