Discussion Board

Hybrid View

firewall issues?

downloaded and installed the web server on my n80. Am really impressed by the concept and the demo applications are very compelling :-)

however i have had difficulties connecting from a number of networks.
    It works fine when i connect via the WLAN at my work however doesnt connect when i try using either GPRS (vodafone UK contract) or my home WLAN (a linksys WLAN).

I'd appreciate any tips/suggestions you might have?
    Mike

Re: firewall issues?

Oops, the only reason that comes to mind is the worst scenario: looks like those operators / ISPs are blocking arbitrary outbound TCP connections.

I assume here that otherwise you can browse the internet from your phone in those operator / ISP networks - if you can't browse then the problem is (fortunately) elsewhere.

Options:
    a) ask the operator nicely, arguing that this is also in their interests ... but don't bet your life on that
    b) it may be an interesting experiment to put the connection port on 8080 too - if the only thing those operators/ISPs do is to deny all outgoing traffic that is not using a well known port (like HTTP 80, 8080) without doing deeper analysis, it might just work - but at the moment I'm not sure how much the prototype gateway is prepared to do things like running the connectivity on multiple ports, I can look into that in the next few days
    c) implement the connectivity protocol on top of HTTP, like it was considered it in the past, but dismissed due to lack of time & resources ...

Nokia Developer Expert

You are using an access point that allows you to browse _anywhere_ on the Internet? For instance, can you browse to Forum Nokia using that access point?

Johan

Thumbs up Re: firewall issues?

Thanks for the quick responses. Made some progress :-)

I've identified that access via my home WLAN doesn't work for web browsing - so there is a more fundamental problem there i need to resolve.

however my GPRS access point (contract_WAP) does allow web browsing. I can use the S60 browser to go various websites including bbc, google, gmail, s60 etc.

but i have found another apn on my phone (contract_internet) and now i connect fine ;-)

Now all i have to do is work out why the n80 can connect but not browse via my home wlan so i can avoid all those data charges.
    Mike

Nokia Developer Expert

I'll bet that when using contract_wap there's a firewall that prevents the use of other ports than a few well-known (e.g. 80, 8080) and that when using contract_internet there is not.