Discussion Board

webkit library and flash lite plugin

Hi,

I am using Webkit library for browser control functionality which (as far as my understaning) has in built support for Netscape plug-ins like flash-lite ( http://opensource.nokia.com/projects...ser/index.html ). But using this, my browser app does'nt show any flash contents which are embedded in xhtml pages. Since there is no documentation available yet for webkit library, it would be really great if someone can answer how to achieve my goal of loading flash lite contents using webkit library. The more specific questions are as

1) Has webkit library in-built support for Netscape plug-ins like flash-lite/audio etc.
    2) If yes then do we need to define it explicitly in our codes to turn on that particular feature.

Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated.

Cheers
    Farooq

Super Contributor

Re: webkit library and flash lite plugin

It may have support for Netscape plugins, but the question is: Is there a plugin for Flash-Lite? If not, you, someone else, Nokia or Adobe has to write one.

The flash lite plugin is in there .... namely npflashlite.dll, but still i cant load the contents

Actually the problem i think do i need to explicitly start this plugin from my application or webkit will handle it itself. My assumption is webkit can handle itself. As i saw the source code of webkit lib it has pluginhandler library in it as well.

Any comments?

Hi,

> Any comments?

You may be interested in the S60WebKit project at http://trac.webkit.org/projects/webkit/wiki/S60Webkit

Regards,
    Bradley

Flash Lite is licensed from Adobe. It is not present in S60 SDK. So you will not be able to see this in emulator.
    But it is available in Nokia Devices from S60 3.0 FP1 onwards.
    If you are not able to see flash contents in web page then Browser->settings-> Page : "Images no flash" to "All"

Hi,
    How do I load flashlite plugin for s60 5th edition so I can render movies in a Browser control?

Nokia Developer Moderator

You can not use Flash-plug-in in any other app than those that have Nokia vendor UID with their process, thus it is only usable in normal Browser (propably not available in any 3rd party browser) as well as in WRT Widget applications.

Hmm,
    Quote Originally Posted by [url=http://blogs.nokia.com/s60blogs/index.php/2008/06/04/two_things_that_go_well_togeth/]Old blogs » Java for S60 » Development - "Two things that go well together: Web Runtime and Java"[/url]
    So what is the web runtime connection? Just like eSWT’s Browser, the heart and soul of Web Runtime is S60 Browser. When eSWT initializes its Browser component, eSWT pretty much enables similar functionality to Web Runtime. As a result, all the AJAX programming available with Web Runtime is available but this time embedded inside a Midlet. Of course being embedded into a Midlet has advantages. Your web widget can now access all the local resources, use APIs like location and PIM and generate the content with the help of these Java APIs and set it to the Browser. It is even possible to mash up the local data with the online services, (Google Maps, Flickr etc.)
    It seems to be implying that from this eSWT Browser Control one has same functionality as S60 Browser! Am I missing something here?

Thanks!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Shouldn't you be asking this on the Java forums of this board? Presumably those active on those forums have used the eSWT Browser and know what it can do (or not).

And yes, you are missing something:
    Quote Originally Posted by [URL="http://blogs.nokia.com/s60blogs/index.php/2008/06/04/two_things_that_go_well_togeth/"]Old blogs » Java for S60 » Development - "Two things that go well together: Web Runtime and Java[/URL]
    ... Browser is one of the ~40 components of eSWT and its purpose is to provide access to the platform’s native web browser. In our case, this is the S60 Browser Control. ...
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite