Discussion Board

Super Contributor

Talking Python for S60 1.3.14 released

Python for S60 1.3.14 is now available for download at SourceForge:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=154155

This release is for both 2nd and 3rd edition devices. As mentioned before, we no longer actively support 1st edition, but if someone is interested in making 1st edition builds of PyS60, then just get the source and go ahead.

Highlights of this release include:

- OpenGL ES 1.0 support. This runs on all devices and emulators for S60 2.6 (2ndFP2) or newer. The first 2.6 phone was the 6630. The rendering is hardware accelerated on the N93.

- Support for speech synthesizer (similar to cyke64's Speechy, but developed independently by us and integrated into our audio module). Works on S60 2.8 and greater (though the function is included in older builds as well - should fix this). Inspired by Artem Marchenko's example code.

- Initial version of the new contacts module for 3rd edition included, but not very usable yet. Working on it...

- Experimental support for using the ARM RVCT compiler (v2.2 build 503 or later) for compiling Python. A binary SDK package compatible with RVCT (armv5) binaries is also included. You can use this to link to use the Python interpreter from code compiled with RVCT using the armv5 target.

- The structure of the SIS files is now flat, unlike before when the PythonForSymbianOS package was nested inside the PythonForS60 package. This is to make signing the packages more convenient.

- Unsigned SIS packages are now provided that have been compiled with the new, larger capability set that is allowed for new free devcerts. To use these, get a free devcert from Symbian Signed, install it to your phone, sign these packages and install them to your phone. No recompilation of the runtime is necessary anymore.

- Correct dates in release notes and documentation

Consult the release notes for more details: http://sourceforge.net/project/shown...roup_id=154155

This release is the same as 1.3.11 in that ***you need to install both the PythonforS60 _and_ the PythonScriptShell package to get the same functionality as before on 2nd edition. ***

This is still a work in progress so bug reports, patches and feature requests are welcomed in the usual places:

Bugs: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?grou...55&atid=790646
    Patches: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?grou...55&atid=790648
    Feature requests:http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?grou...55&atid=790649

When filing bugs, include the device you used, its firmware version (you can see this by entering *#0000# in the idle screen), the PyS60 version and a minimal test case (if applicable).

Stay tuned for the next release, and happy hacking!
    Last edited by jplauril; 2006-11-22 at 20:37.

Super Contributor

Re: Python for S60 1.3.14 released

Oh yeah, note that the audio.say is actually a thinly disguised general function for playing a sound file from a string. Try this:

audio.say(my_wav_file_contents_here, "")

These self-signed binaries are signed with the maximum capabilities available for self-signed apps, i.e.: ReadUserData, WriteUserData, UserEnvironment, LocalServices, NetworkServices.

Until 17 November 2006 the basic level developer certificate is free and getting it takes just a few minutes after you've installed the SDK and the certificate request tool. That basic level devcert gave you Location, PowerManagement, ProtServ, SurroundingsDD, and SWEvent in addition to the set available for self-signed apps

Until 17 November 2006 the medium level devcert will give you ReadDeviceData, WriteDeviceData and TrustedUI. Concretely, this will give you access to Cell ID and the contacts database. This kind of devcert requires an ACS Publisher ID, which costs about 350 dollars per year.

NEW : http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/view_entry.html?id=295

Some changes happening! Symbian has loosened the requirements in the Symbian Developer Certificates. Now a developer can also access ReadDeviceData, WriteDeviceData and TrustedUI without the VeriSign ACS Publisher ID for one IMEI (device).

The basic level developer certificate is free and getting it takes just a few minutes after you've installed the SDK and the certificate request tool. That basic level devcert gave you Location, PowerManagement, ProtServ, SurroundingsDD, SWEvent , ReadDeviceData, WriteDeviceData and TrustedUI. in addition to the set available for self-signed apps

Concretely this means that you can now use Cell ID and the contacts database !
    All you need is a free dev cert and sign yourself the provided following files from sourceforge (only since 1.3.14 !)
    PyS60 1.3.1.4 unsigned free dev cert
    PyS60 ScriptShell 1.3.14 unsigned free dev cert
    pys60 1.4.5 and 2.0.0, pygame, PyS60 CE on E90 and 5800 !

Find my pys60 extension modules on cyke64.googlepages.com

When I finally get a developer certificate, what is the next step? Do I need to install it on the phone somehow? Can I then use the pys60 freedevcert version of python rather than the self-signed one?

By the way, it was not so trivial to get a certificate. After running the certificate application, one must then figure out how to get it from the symbiansigned site. This took me a long time searching around until I realized I had to upload the *.csr file that was created.

Quote Originally Posted by curiouslarry
    When I finally get a developer certificate, what is the next step? Do I need to install it on the phone somehow? Can I then use the pys60 freedevcert version of python rather than the self-signed one?

The certificate is used to sign the SISX file before it is uploaded to the device.

When you apply for a Symbian Signed certificate, essentially what happens is that Symbian delegates to you some authority.

The certificate you got contains the following info:
    You (the cert owner) are allowed to sign applications which will:
    * Run ONLY on the specific IMEI they gave you
    * Have the capabilities that Symbian has decided you are worthy of.

In other words, the certificate Symbian sent you proves mathematically that you (well, your private key, really) has been delegated some limited authority.

To use that authority, what you do is:
    Give the signsis.exe app (part of the SDK) your private key, your certificate, and your SISX file.

The resulting SISX file contains some information that proves:
    * Symbian gave you a certificate, ie; permission to sign apps
    * You have signed this _precise_ app (any change _at_all_ will be detected. You must sign every SISX file.)
    * The SISX file also includes which privileges you have decided to give to this specific app. ie: Symbian will let you authorize "WriteDeviceData", but you can choose to _not_ give those permissions to an app.

The phone looks at the SISX file. The phone understands,
    "Symbian gave this guy a developer certificate, which is good only on IMEI FOO. This cert is allowed operations X,Y,Z. This guy has used his cert on this app. He chose to give this app permission to do only X,Y"

If the phone's got the wrong IMEI, the phone will say "No way!"

If the app has been changed - if you try to re-use a signed SISX file, the phone will say "No way!"

One important detail here is that the SISX file, _before_ you sign it, includes a list of what permissions the app wants. What that means is: You can take the Python for S60 SISX files, and sign them with your developer certificate. This means that the app is _permitted_ to have WriteDeviceData, Location, etc access. However, it will only _get_ that access if it asks for it. Since the distribution from Nokia does not, out of the box, have permission to access those features, the SISX file does not _ask_ for them.

If you wish to give Python for S60 permission to do more stuff, you'll probably have to build it yourself from source.

Also, if you install any .PYD documents (which are included in SISX files when you use them on the 3rd edition), they will _also_ need to be signed with appropriate permissions. My own, custom developer-signed Python installation won't let me run 3rd party Python extensions unless I sign them with enough permission.

Super Contributor

bhima, good explanation. One correction to this point:

Quote Originally Posted by bhima
    One important detail here is that the SISX file, _before_ you sign it, includes a list of what permissions the app wants. What that means is: You can take the Python for S60 SISX files, and sign them with your developer certificate. This means that the app is _permitted_ to have WriteDeviceData, Location, etc access. However, it will only _get_ that access if it asks for it. Since the distribution from Nokia does not, out of the box, have permission to access those features, the SISX file does not _ask_ for them.

If you wish to give Python for S60 permission to do more stuff, you'll probably have to build it yourself from source.
    The unsigned-freedevcert SIS packages included with PyS60 1.3.14 actually _do_ request all the capabilities that are available with the new, more liberal free devcert - including the new Read/WriteDeviceData and TrustedUI. So, now you don't need to recompile Python anymore to access those - just sign the provided SIS packages. They also now have a flat hierarchy (no embedded packages) to make signing them more convenient.

Super Contributor

Added mention of these new unsigned packages to the release announcement.

I just really really really love the OpenGL ES 1.0 support!!
    PS: Hmm... The "audio.say()" function isn't working for me...
    Last edited by RICH?; 2006-11-22 at 17:08.

Super Contributor

audio.say Text-to-Speech only works from S60 2.8 onwards.

Hmm, maybe we should remove that function from older builds since it's just confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH?
    I just really really really love the OpenGL ES 1.0 support!!
    PS: Hmm... The "audio.say()" function isn't working for me...
    Yes it's great
    But where is the documentation about the new OPENGL ES module(glcanvas and gles) ?
    In the next PyS60 version (1.3.15) I presume

Super Contributor

In the __future__, my friend, in the __future__.

Quote Originally Posted by jplauril
    In the __future__, my friend, in the __future__.
    For the impatients you can find doc on OPEN GL 1.0 here