Discussion Board

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Python for UIQ

Re: Python for UIQ

Quote Originally Posted by cassioli View Post
    It's just a matter of finding out WHICH (damned) parameters they are!!
    Have you ever successfully compile a normal .py file into .jar file by using jythonc with Java 1.5 or above?
    I think it requires similar parameters like this situation. The only difference is you have to use older version of Java.

I think CPython is definitely dead. Just like my UIQ phone
    My P910i now servers as a PDA
    It's really interesting to explore how cross-platform language like Python and Java prove their strength

I plan to develop a light weight GUI component for UIQ 2 as CPython is now dead Hope that I'd have time

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by duc.nguyenanh View Post
    Have you ever successfully compile a normal .py file into .jar file by using jythonc with Java 1.5 or above?
    AFAIR (I stopped testiing long time ago...), I successfully compiled to jar, but was never able to LAUNCH the jar.

AFAIR (I stopped testiing long time ago...), I successfully compiled to jar, but was never able to LAUNCH the jar.
    Can you provide me steps that you have used to run your jar file?
    I made a small Jar file and successfully ran it, but I cannot post here as this forum doesn't support file upload.

I also curious about your question at compile .py file to .class file.
    jythonc always creates .class files during compilation process. They are put at jpywork directory which is located at the same directory at your .class files.
    Last edited by duc.nguyenanh; 2008-06-11 at 04:10.

An interesting note:
    If you compile .java file with javac whose version is higher than 1.1, pJava always informs that it cannot find the class (Exception: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError).
    I'm trying to compile jython library source, but I don't know where the start point is.

Super Contributor

An interesting note:
    If you compile .java file with javac whose version is higher than 1.1, pJava always informs that it cannot find the class (Exception: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError).
    I'm trying to compile jython library source, but I don't know where the start point is.
    I didn't check my old notes about this issue, but I think I remember this is just what happened to me: I tried compiling the .java file created by jythonc, I always obtained the infamous java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError , which can mean all and nothing...

No better luck I had with the .class created by jythonc, which I was not able to get working once inside a .jar .

My skill in java is very low: the classpath stuff is completely confusing me, being "messed up" among compile-time and run-time.
    I guess it's better for you not even to know which my attempts were to compile .py to .jar , tyehy'll probably only confuse you!
    just keep trying!

I didn't check my old notes about this issue, but I think I remember this is just what happened to me: I tried compiling the .java file created by jythonc, I always obtained the infamous java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError , which can mean all and nothing...

No better luck I had with the .class created by jythonc, which I was not able to get working once inside a .jar .

My skill in java is very low: the classpath stuff is completely confusing me, being "messed up" among compile-time and run-time.
    I guess it's better for you not even to know which my attempts were to compile .py to .jar , tyehy'll probably only confuse you!
    just keep trying!
    classpath is only a environment parameter. It is used by JVM to locate library packages and your .class files.

I've successfully run a small .jar file in my phone.
    The procedure is as following:
    1. Obtain the jython.jar from jython2.1 directory. (jython2.2 cannot work as it requires jre 1.4.0 or above while pJava is equivalent to jre1.1.1)

2. Using jythonc to compile .py file to .jar file. I cannot complete this step as jdk 1.1.8 is not compatible with Vista. jythonc hangs after it produces .java file. But I still have .java file to continue. It is placed in jpywork directory in current directory.
    Command for this step is:
    jythonc -a -j testJar.jar testJar.py

3. Compile .java by jdk1.1.8: We have to set classpath to jython.jar and library path of jdk1.1.8
    Command:
    "C:\program files\java\jdk1.1.8\bin\javac.exe" -classpath "C:\program files\java\jdk1.1.8\lib\classes.zip;C:\jython2.1\jython.jar" testJar.java

4. After third step, I get few .class files: testJar.class, testJar$_PyInner.class and testJar$testButton.class. Then use jar utility to pack them in a .jar file by following command:
    "C:\program files\java\jdk1.1.8\bin\jar.exe" -cvf0 testJar.jar testJar.class testJar$_PyInner.class testJar$testButton.class

5. Copy testJar.jar and jython.jar to a same directory in the phone. Set jRun.txt to:
    -cp "C:/classes;C:/classes/testJar.jar;C:/classes/jython.jar" testJar

6. THen invoke JRun and enjoy

Do you have same procedure with what I did?

Super Contributor

6. THen invoke JRun and enjoy

Do you have same procedure with what I did?
    Who knows? I don't remember.... But... who cares? You got it!

I hop I'll find a bit of time to test your procedure.

Thanks for your efforts.

Wanna try compiling my jython program to turn UIQ phones into GPS antitheft in the meantime?