Discussion Board

Problems Sending and Receiving SMS Messages from the Emulator

Hi,
    I am new to the Symbian Programming and I am using the Symbian Java SDK to develop a small application to Send and Receive the SMS Messages. I was able to use the Emulator to take a look at the sample Chat application which came along with the SDK Installation examples. I have a few questions:

1. How can I send and receive messages from the emulator? From the Sample Chat Application when I send the message to my Nokia Phone number, I don't receive that message.

2. If I need to setup a Server for processing the SMS Messages, then from where can I set up that test SMS Server to process and respond to the incoming messages. Any free version of the software available which can communicate with Nokia Emulators.

I really appreciate if anybody can provide me answers or pointers on how to resolve the above questions.

Re: Problems Sending and Receiving SMS Messages from the Emulator

> ...when I send the message to my Nokia Phone number, I don't receive that message...

You can send SMS message to the emulator only from another application on that PC. For example, in Netbeans Mobility Pack it's a part of the emulator. The phone number you should send to is the number which is displayed on the title bar of the emulator window.

> If I need to setup a Server for processing the SMS Messages, then from where can I set up that test SMS Server to process and respond to the incoming messages.

If I undestand you correctly you want some server that will process incoming SMS messages sent from the handset. The easiest solution would be a dedicated handset connected with a PC via USB cable. It will receive incoming short messages and transfer them to the PC's application.

Also look into NowSMS for sending SMS messages from a PC. They have a trial version.