Discussion Board

Thread: WHY?

WHY?

Sorry, i am stil struggling to see the sense and reason to have a web server serving HTTP directly on a mobile device.

Surely it makes more sense for the mobile device to send its status information (user status, GPS location, etc etc) to a hosted web server elsewhere. Then browsers find the required information at the "device owners" web page and NOT by running code on teh mobile device. This overcomes battery and code complexity and cost issues

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: WHY?

Sorry, I'm a bit glueless here, which service are you complaining about ?

yucca

Nokia Developer Expert

Have you ever forgotten your phone at home and wondered whether you have missed any important phone calls or SMSs? Hadn't it been convenient if you had been able to browse to your phone using a regular web-browser - any browser, not just the one on your PC - and check whether someone has called, and read any received SMSs and even answer them?

The UI of the phone is good, but nonetheless quite limited compared with what you could provide using the big screen and proper keyboard of a Laptop/PC. What if there were a Web-UI that you could use whenever you are next to one? Check also here - http://research.nokia.com/research/p...gin/index.html - how you can seamlessly integrate a web-browser on a PC with your mobile phone.

In a sense the name "mobile web server" gives the wrong connotations, as it implicitly emphasizes the "website on mobile phone" viewpoint. But as these two usecases above show, in many cases the only one accessing the mobsite is person who owns the phone and he is not accessing something that could be characterized as a regular website. A better description would be "personal mobile device with HTTP access to it", but that's a little bit too long

At the wiki-page - http://wiki.opensource.nokia.com/pro...ile_Web_Server - you can find more material about the concept. The slideset behind the "Session at O'Reilly..." link gives a fairly good overview of the whole thing.

Johan

Well, I think another good example is remote http access to someone's phone calendar (with authenticated access of course).
    I have a collegue (the typical commercial guy - always around selling selling selling - no time to stop more than few minutes sitting on a desk) who set all of his appointments in his mobile phone: it is easily done and the phone can alert you better than anything else when the deadline is approching, because you almost carry it with you all of the time.
    The problem is, this guy can never make up his mind to syncronize the phone with a "corporate" calendar: we tried everything (and I have to say a lot of "calendar/groupware" applications out there a overwhelming or too complicated for average user) but he can't really take a moment and synchronize his phone with a PC.
    Now, the problem is, everytime he's out for work and someone in the company looks for him there is anyone nowing where he is, if we can disturbing him with a phone call, if he is out to some important customer, etc.
    I think a simple thing as accessing via browser from any pc in the company to his phone calendar to see if and where he's busy would be a nice thing, prior to start calling (and spend money) just to receive the information we could have received by simply browsing a web page.
    Just my 2 cents