Discussion Board

implementing fonts and icons

Hi
    I hope this is the right section for this.
    I am attempting to have a go at developing new themes using both the S40 TS 2.1 and Carbide UI S60 Theme Edition 3.1.
    Really i am looking to make a new interface for a 6280, though i would like to develop for a more models to give to friends etc..
    My main sticking point is that it seems you cannot change the font used for any part of a theme (i.e - icon labels, operator logo, message type font, etc...)
    I can change the icons through a vector editor in Carbide, though not in TS 2.1.
    Can i use a theme created in Carbide on a 6280?
    Mostly is their any way i can use my own font?
    Also how do i get the 'application UID' to be able to load 3rd party icons into Carbide?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, many thanks in advance.

Super Contributor

Re: implementing fonts and icons

Carbide.ui S60 Theme Edition is for themes only for S60 based phones and will not work on S40 phones (S40 is based on an entirely different software platform, and is not compatible at all). While both platforms (starting with certain versions, or "Editions") support themes, the only commonality is that they are called "themes".

On S60 based devices, additional fonts can be installed. I could be wrong, but I don't think it is possible on S40.

S60/Symbian application UID's you can get from the applications (you could try apps such as TaskMan, analyzing the binaries or installation packages, or just searching the Internet for lists people may have created; I don't think there's any single place for a published, comprehensive list of even all the different built-in apps of different S60 based phones).

Thanks for the reply
    Do you know what type of fonts (e.g True Type)?
    I will have a look into this TaskMan thing, just the link given in the help file takes you to the Symbian Developer Library and this does not suggest any list for obtaining the application UID.
    At least though for now i can take the long way round and use the vector application to change them.

Is there a guru who helped create the software and provides help on this forum that can give specific feedback, as i would like to know if you can do a code view also and make changes in that to themes (kind of like dreamweaver with it's 'designer' + 'code view' options).
    As one of my other main problems is the lack of ability to remove items like the 'solid', 'solid idle navi pane' +'swift' bar.

With the S40 TS it kind of sucks that it is not possible to completely redo the interface.

Its more likely that this is possible for a series 60 device where you can expose the file system, however you won't be able to contain this information within the theme file itself.

Fonts are not strictly changable, and the font width is pretty critical and due to the number of combinations of text string lengths, its easier to only have one font, other wise words will be hanging off the end of pop ups and alike. If you could replace the font file with something it would need to be identical in width for each letter.

hope this helps

Hi!
    I´m new in this, but looking for a way to change the size of the font in my Nokia E61. This mobile have a large screen with plenty of place for larger text, and my eyes are not so good anymore... Will be happy if there is a way to do this!
    I cannot see the Carbide.ui 3.2 have tools for this?