Discussion Board

Thread: Very Slow..

Super Contributor

Very Slow..

Carbide looks like an atrociously slow IDE to work on..good old CodeWarrior is any day better..plus debugging is such a pain on Carbide...CodeWarrior was much better..and one could track down so many issues by debugging..am i missing something with Carbide..or others have also experienced the same issues..?

Cheers
    mayank

Regular Contributor

Re: Very Slow..

Even I feel the same.Poor debugging and slow.
    I find it comlex as well.
    Both CodeWarrior and Microsoft Visual were far better than it.

Reagrds.

Super Contributor

I guess going forward Nokia will look into this..and will ensure better performance and ease of use..in fact whats surprising is that Carbide is being preferred over CodeWarrior..because it is percieved that since Carbide is based on the Eclipse framework only..lot of people specially Java developers would find it easy to use..i wonder if thats really the case.

Cheers
    mayank

Nokia Developer Moderator

Hi,

I may be wrong...But I guess its more to do with being used to an IDE and teething problems using a different one.

Goodluck and cheers!!
    Neil

Super Contributor

Red face Re: Very Slow..

Yeah that could be the case..

I wanted to know if there is a way to create an mmp file using Carbide..for instance like how it happened in CodeWarrior..when u make a project..it used to create the mmp file for u. If Carbide doesnt create the mmp file..then where do i include the libraries like how i used to do with Codewarrior..and also without the mmp file and the bld.inf file..how does the command line works..

things like.

bldmake bldfiles
    abld build winscw/gcce/armv5 udeb/urel

Please let me know about this..i am new to Carbide..and may be some of the questions sounds like newbie stuff..

Mayank,

You can include the lib files and do other things that you need from an mmp file in the build configuration.

you can change the build settings too there, so when you compile it, it does the necessary. CodeWarrior constructs a mmp file for you, Carbide does the same but in a different way(presents it in the form of build configuration)

Hey Mayank you help quite a lot of us with our Symbian queries, its good that you have some too

any more questions...ur welcome

cheers
    Neil

Super Contributor

Hi Mayank,
    I guess you are using the Free version of Carbide.the Initial version.
    the next version Carbide c++ v1.1 do support .mmp files but its only a 21 days trial period.in the initial version its all ide specific.you need to mention the libraries in the ide itself.check the properties of your application-> c++ build-> GCCE Linker -> Libraries.

It would be always good to read the newbie docs. hope you must have read by this time.

i do personally feel the same! Carbide makes things even worse and debugging a app is really time consuming and makes me nuts at times :-)

Priju

Super Contributor

hey thanks people for the answers...

Yes I am using V1.0 for Carbide.

I checked the help docs but i could not find the exact information i was looking for..:-

For instance i imported my existing mmp file into Carbide..when i followed the path to C/C++ Builder and checked GCCE Linker..libraries..i do not see the libraries that are there in the mmp file.

Also I am still to figure out how to make the command line building work..i mean what do i do to make bldmake bldfiles work..what is the exact commands..steps that needs to be followed..?

Also if i make a project using Carbide..can i import this project in Codewarrior then..i mean what are the exact steps to create an mmp file using Carbide please?

Is there some basic information document that any of u guys have prepared for Carbide..something like a ready reckoner that i can read through for some of these details..?

Cheers
    mayank

dunno if this sorts your queries, but anyway you can check this out :

http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...creencast.html

Cheers
    Neil