Discussion Board

Unhappy Building a project with C and C++ files under Carbide

Hi,

I can succesfully build and link my project from command line (SDK S60-SDK-0616-3.0-mr.3.749) both on target WINSCW and GCCE.
    I need to build it from Carbide.c++ (Developer) to run on-device debugging.
    From Carbide I get several linking problems: I have to comment "extern C" statements otherwise I can't compile libraries and anyway, while linking the app altogether, references from C code are not found.
    I suspect the cause being Carbide compiling both C and C++ file with option "-x c++" (I can see it from console prints), while SDK command line is based on gcce.mk options stating:
    # For .cpp Source files
    CPP_LANG_OPTION=-x c++
    # For .c Source files
    C_LANG_OPTION=-x c
    that make it work correctly.
    Does anybody know how to make Carbide distinguish between C and C++ source files?
    (By the way, CodeWarrior had the same problems).
    Thanks,

Diego

Re: Carbide.c++ Hints and Tips

Support or feedback on Carbide and CodeWarrior from FN experts seems quite scarce, even on fundamental (though somehow "advanced") issues like the post on variables in dlls during on-device debugging, or my post on building projects containing C and C++ source files. Is there any other resource where discussion is going on with Carbide experts?
    Thanks,

Diego

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Re: Carbide.c++ Hints and Tips

Quote Originally Posted by loquendo
    Support or feedback on Carbide and CodeWarrior from FN experts seems quite scarce, even on fundamental (though somehow "advanced") issues like the post on variables in dlls during on-device debugging, or my post on building projects containing C and C++ source files. Is there any other resource where discussion is going on with Carbide experts?
    Thanks,

Diego
    The responsiveness of our Forum Experts and Champions is one of the highest for any free support group. Although they are volunteers we have over a 70% response rate to the threads in less than 24 hours. This is about as good as it gets for free support. Still it is not good enough for Forum Nokia and we are taking steps to increase the rate even higher if not faster.

This however, does not mean that we will answer any and all questions submitted. Some questions are beyond the scope of a discussion board or are not relevant questions.

I hope that you continue to ask questions and help others with their questions it is only by being a total community can a discussion board be truly successful.

Ron

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Re: Building a project with C and C++ files under Carbide

Symbian is a C++ based OS, you should always have the C++ compiler enabled. If you have pragmas and such that are not C++ they are in errors.

extern "C" should always be wrapped with #if cplusplus even when in a .c source file with. I'm not sure how to do this other than correct your source codes so they are correct.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by loquendo
    Hi,

I can succesfully build and link my project from command line (SDK S60-SDK-0616-3.0-mr.3.749) both on target WINSCW and GCCE.
    I need to build it from Carbide.c++ (Developer) to run on-device debugging.
    From Carbide I get several linking problems: I have to comment "extern C" statements otherwise I can't compile libraries and anyway, while linking the app altogether, references from C code are not found.
    I suspect the cause being Carbide compiling both C and C++ file with option "-x c++" (I can see it from console prints), while SDK command line is based on gcce.mk options stating:
    # For .cpp Source files
    CPP_LANG_OPTION=-x c++
    # For .c Source files
    C_LANG_OPTION=-x c
    that make it work correctly.
    Does anybody know how to make Carbide distinguish between C and C++ source files?
    (By the way, CodeWarrior had the same problems).
    Thanks,

Diego

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Forum Responsiveness

We try our best to make sure there are responses to all the questions on the forum, but there is no guarantee; handling the regular support load keeps us busy full time. When we have a bit of spare time we check the forums to see if there are any unanswered questions.

It's barely been a day since you posted your question. Please be patient and we'll try to help you.

Regards,

Matt P.