Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Memory Leak debugging

My application have crashed a few times in device after running for quite a while. (20-60hrs)

By checking log, it crashed on a state where no action was doing.

I think it possibly caused by a memory leak?

I have searched for a while in forum about debugging memory leak and I have a general idea (only).

I would like to have some advice about, what's the next best move I should take now?

It's not easy and I really need a help. Thx in advanced!

Super Contributor

Re: Memory Leak debugging

first try to find out the panic for the application, and specify which platform you use, then we can help you better.

for getting the panic code refer : http://newlc.com/Display-the-extende...c-code-in.html

regards,
    vasant.

Nokia Developer Champion

Smile Re: Memory Leak debugging

Hi,
    Quote Originally Posted by hong.lam
    My application have crashed a few times in device after running for quite a while. (20-60hrs)

By checking log, it crashed on a state where no action was doing.

I think it possibly caused by a memory leak?

I have searched for a while in forum about debugging memory leak and I have a general idea (only).

I would like to have some advice about, what's the next best move I should take now?

It's not easy and I really need a help. Thx in advanced!
    What type of application you are developing?
    Please provide some more information about it so that someone can reply you if he/she faced such problem earlier.

Regards.
    Kiran.

Regular Contributor

Thx vasant, It's a 2nd edition and I have jsut created the file and try it in emulator. Hope that I can get a panic soon.

To Kiran:

It's an email client application. as it crashed when it was running with nobody care, I'm just suspecting the leak could be produced in the backend network part rather than the UI.

thx for prompt reply!

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi,
    It's an email client application. as it crashed when it was running with nobody care, I'm just suspecting the leak could be produced in the backend network part rather than the UI.
    Ya that could be one of the reasons. There may be other posibilities too, may be with your UI. Anyways you can better follow up the problem on catching actual panic code.

All the best.
    Regards.
    Kiran.

Regular Contributor

I got some difficulties.

My app run on the emulator with some unexpected errors(got not get mail as expected, but no crash), which i don't know if i could get the same crash.(I would still test it anyway)

And, my device, the program works fine, but it's a 6630 and the ErrRd doesn't work and I can hardly see any panic code pop up.

And, I think if I got memory leak that crashed the program, I could get a specific message as in this link: http://www.newlc.com/Tracking-down-memory-leaks.html

am i correct?

thx all!

Super Contributor

6600 uses Symbian OS v8.0a and Developer Platform:S60 2nd Edition, Feature Pack 2, so you can prepare one package file and include one text file and set the target path given below, if you have problem in installing the sis file specified in that link.

"C:\symbian\7.0s\Series60_v20\Epoc32\wins\c\system\ltracker\ltracker.log" - "C:\system\Bootdata\errd"
    create one sis file and install it on the device this file will be copied to the target path.

and yes the link you are talking about is very good source for tracking memory leaks.

regards,
    vasant.

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi,
    I got some difficulties.

My app run on the emulator with some unexpected errors(got not get mail as expected, but no crash), which i don't know if i could get the same crash.(I would still test it anyway)

And, my device, the program works fine, but it's a 6630 and the ErrRd doesn't work and I can hardly see any panic code pop up.

And, I think if I got memory leak that crashed the program, I could get a specific message as in this link: http://www.newlc.com/Tracking-down-memory-leaks.html

am i correct?

thx all!
    Using FileExplorer, check whether file named ErrRd is there or not on your phone. in C:\System\bootdata.
    Otherwise you can give one .pkg line entry with ErrRd from your sis file.
    like:
    "C:\Symbian\8.0a\S60_2nd_FP2\Epoc32\wins\c\system\ErrRd" - "C:\system\Bootdata\ErrRd"

Make sure that you have empty ErrRd(without any extension) is there in the following path:C:\Symbian\8.0a\S60_2nd_FP2\Epoc32\wins\c\system\ErrRd

Because it would be more easy to analyze if panic code is known.

Regards.
    Kiran.

Regular Contributor

Actuallly I have used FExplorer cut and paste the ErrRd to the C:\System\bootdata, it didn't work and I have searched for details. People did mention ErrRd won't work on and after 6630 and FP2 device.

-reference http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ad.php?t=74395

Eventually I got a 7610 on hand and use that to do testing.

Thanks for prompt reply and help!