Discussion Board

Exclamation Bug: Ukrainian language in the E70 is not supported in the QWERTY mode.

Good evening, friends !

Some days ago I became a "happy owner" of Nokia E70 (Symbian 9.1, S60 3rd edition). The smartphone not bad, but some bugs are present and work isn't always stable and quick.

For example, the cable connection is extremely unstable (first I have to find, how to put cutoff point into the phone, then I should not to breathe near the device). Why ? Is it difficult to make contacts a little longer ? Especially, as I know, this type of connection isn't new

But my main question concerns the software part. The E70 has two keyboards - numerical, as all other phones, and QWERTY, as ordinary computer. May be, you know, that there are three east-Slavonic languages: russian, ukrainian and belorussian.

I live in Ukraine and use two of them - russian and ukrainian. Their alphabets have some letters, which are differ. There are some letters in the Russian, which are not present in Ukrainian, and vice versa. That's why computers, phones, PDAs and other devices need to have differen input languages, different keyboard layout.

My E70 have both languages as input - Ukrainian and Russian. And when I use numeriacal keyboard, all OK. But in the QWERTY mode instead of special Ukrainian symbols Russian are typed. And that's why in this mode Ukrainian layout don't present, but Russian has two !!!

In the Ukrainian Nokia representative office I learned, that this bug is't plan to be repaired. BUT WHY ?!?!?!? It's 10 minutes of programmer work, because everything required is present. And it's astonishing, that it was not made at once.

Will be this bug corrected in the future ?????

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Re: Bug: Ukrainian language in the E70 is not supported in the QWERTY mode.

Hi,
    Because someothing is not supported does not make it a bug. If it says it supports Ukrainian in both modes then it probably is, but it is more likely a missing feature. Having said that. I'm afraid that you have came to the wrong place to voice a complaint.

This discussion board is only for Developers support, not for hardware or end user application support. There are some localized product support forums and one that is monitored and where you can get attention and solutions http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/. If you post your concerns there you may get a response from there.

But realistically if you want to make this known and have it addressed then the products support messages should be addressed at Nokia's online support sites http://www.nokia.com/support not here in Forum Nokia.

Red face Re: Bug: Ukrainian language in the E70 is not supported in the QWERTY mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Nokia Ron
    Hi,
    Because someothing is not supported does not make it a bug. If it says it supports Ukrainian in both modes then it probably is, but it is more likely a missing feature. Having said that. I'm afraid that you have came to the wrong place to voice a complaint.

This discussion board is only for Developers support, not for hardware or end user application support. There are some localized product support forums and one that is monitored and where you can get attention and solutions http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/. If you post your concerns there you may get a response from there.

But realistically if you want to make this known and have it addressed then the products support messages should be addressed at Nokia's online support sites http://www.nokia.com/support not here in Forum Nokia.
    Thank you for your answer !
    Because of my bad English I thought, that Developer Discussion Boards means contacts with Nokia Company developers.

I'll copy my letter on the adresses you have written.

Well, the Ukrainian language exists in the menu in the standart mode, and exists in the menu in the QWERTY mode. But in the standart mode it works, and in the QWERTY - doesn't. That's why I can confidently say - IT IS A BAG, it's a result of programmer's inattention. May be, programmer made Russian layout and then simply past-and-copy code for Ukrainian.

But he forgot to change symbols codes for the QWERTY.
    Well, I'm programmer too, and I understand, how such "missing features" appear/

Re: Bug: Ukrainian language in the E70 is not supported in the QWERTY mode.

I am not sure I write to the correct forum, but as an owner of Nokia E70 and a former programmer I need help.

Please forward this message to the correct people. In Ukraine I was not able to fix the problem.

In my phone I am able to choose Ukrainian as writing laguage ( by pressing Shift + Chr ).

But the keyboard become Russian instead of Ukrainian!

What I mean. There are several specific letters which are different in Ukrainian and Russian. The Ukrainian has "і", "є", "ї" and "ґ". Russian has "ы", "э" and "ъ".

The normal 101-keys PC keyboard uses this difference. When one selects Russian and press latin "S" he get russian "Ы". When one selects Ukrainian and press latin "S" he get ukrainian "І". The similar pairs exist for "Э" - "Є", "Ъ" - "Ї".

Now, on my Nokia E70, when I want to enter some specific Ukrainian characters, for example "і" - (i with dot) or "ї" (i with two dots) I need to press Chr and then select the character I need. This is very inconvenient.

I am aware that 56-keys E90 keyboard is not 101-keys PC one. Developers were not able to link all russian characters to the separate key (Russian "Ъ" can be entered only via Chr key). For specific Ukrainian characters I propose the following keys: "S (Ы)" for "І", "`(Э)" for "Є". The "Ї and "Ґ" as much more rare letters could be entered as now - via Chr key.

As I understand this problem could be easily fixed by Esteemed Nokia Developers.