Discussion Board

Can carbide handle included files in mmp files

I have the following situation: I want to be able to build both regular and demo version sof my app. The regaular version must be symbian signed (because it uses certain capabilities), but I don't want to sign the demo version for cost reasons, and the simple fact that it probably cannot be signed because it won't be a usable app (it's a demo).

I am investigating the the use of include files in mmp files for this. If the core of the mmp file (resources, sources, librarie etc) is included in a top-level mmp file, I can put the capability statements and possibly some other mmp statements in the top. A different mmp file can then be used for the demo version, using less or no capabilities, possibly defining macro's, etc.

for example

prj.mmh has the SOURCE, START RESOURCE etc stuff

prj.mmp looks like

CABABILITY WriteDeviceData

#include "prj.mmh"

and prj_demo.mmp looks like

MACRO DEMO_MODE

CABABILITY None

#include "prj.mmh"

By defining the macro I can conditionally compile demo mode code or regular code, including not compiling in the WriteDeviceData-dependent code.

There's also the situation when a shared dll needs different capabilities for the different UI's. This happens for instance with UIQ 3.x and S60 3rd edition. If you onclude the UIQ sendas dialog, you must have WriteDeviceData, while this isn't necessary when using RSendAs on S60.

If you use a single mmp file for the shared dll (which is reasonable, because it doesn't depend on the UI, only on the OS), one must use all capabilities that are are in use for all different UI's. This CAPABILITY CREEP therefore means that all apps must have the superset of capabilities needed by any app. Or that shared dll's must have different mmp files for each different UI, which are identical, except for the capability.

Using includes is a way out of this problem, and it works fine for the command line and CW 3.1.

My question is, will using include files in mmp files work for Eclipse/Carbide too?

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Can carbide handle included files in mmp files

The short answer is yes, Carbide 1.1 should not have a problem with include files for importing projects. If you are using 1.0 you will need to upgrade.

If you are keeping two different MMP files for each project you could possibly just put them both in a bld.inf and be able to keep them synchronized in a Carbide environment as well.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by timm-ah
    The short answer is yes, Carbide 1.1 should not have a problem with include files for importing projects. If you are using 1.0 you will need to upgrade.
    Ok, that is at least partially good news, but how about keeping them updated? It is my understanding that Carbide also manipulates the mmp file when adding/removing/renaming files.

If you are keeping two different MMP files for each project you could possibly just put them both in a bld.inf and be able to keep them synchronized in a Carbide environment as well.

Tim
    Putting both files in a bld.inf will also mean that abld build will build both of them, which is not what I want. In my experience, having multiple mmp file in a prj_mmpfiles statement only works well for plugin-like dll's, but not for build variants of the same code.

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by svdwal
    Ok, that is at least partially good news, but how about keeping them updated? It is my understanding that Carbide also manipulates the mmp file when adding/removing/renaming files.
    Currently Carbide does not have an active resource listener to automagically update your MMP files when projects resources are added/removed. If you manipulate project settings/resources I would choose the Update MMP option and then in the wizard select to append new items. Then you can see the delta and do any cleanup for what was exported.

The next release the we'll have active listeners and modify changes in place in the MMP.

Tim

Currently Carbide does not have an active resource listener to automagically update your MMP files when projects resources are added/removed. If you manipulate project settings/resources I would choose the Update MMP option and then in the wizard select to append new items. Then you can see the delta and do any cleanup for what was exported.

The next release the we'll have active listeners and modify changes in place in the MMP.

Tim
    OK, but how do you know in which file a new sourcefile must be places, if the mmp file has includes?