Discussion Board

Super Contributor

VoIP Blues..please respond someone..!!

As you know, E61 has the Voice of IP (VoIP) functionality built in. Providing the right configuration, this phone can make Internet calls. I have successfully configured the SIP settings for my E61, and VoIP works on the device.

My question is: is there any API at all (public / privileged) that allows me to interact and control the VoIP to make an Internet call? For regular voice calls, I can use CTelephony provided by the SDK to dial a number, put conversation on hold, etc. However, there are no references to Internet Call from the Symbian S60 3rd SDK. I'd like to ask the experts there: Is there any Nokia proprietary API that allows me to dial a SIP address or pickup an incoming Internet call?

By the way, there is this CTelephony::EstablishDataCall(), what exact is a 'data call'?

Cheers
    mayank

Regular Contributor

Re: VoIP Blues..please respond someone..!!

I would guess there is a private Nokia proprietary API, but you will have to ask Nokia for that via Forum Nokia Pro I suspect.

CTelephony::EstablishDataCall() is and old, old, old method for doing a dial-up data connection (like a modem). Not something that is of any use in the world of GPRS and W-CDMA.
    Symsource Ltd.
    [url]www.symsource.com[/url]

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: VoIP Blues..please respond someone..!!

Nokia VoIP client 2.0 (=Nokia VoIP framework) is neither extendable nor accessible from Symbian C++/S60 3rd SDK. However, with proper configuration settings you can use it with IETF VoIP service.

More information about Nokia VoIP 2.0:
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/reso..._IP/index.html

Sounds like you would like to do an auto-ansver (pre-VCC or “seamless” handover like) VoIP-CS application for S60 3rd edition devices. If that is the case, you would need to create your own VoIP client that would interact with the Symbian telephony application.