Discussion Board

Any program to run textshell on the phone?

Hi,
    I developed a symbian program with IDE Code Warrior, programming language C++, SDK S603rd.
    It works with the emulator in 'textshell' mode, and I didn't yet make any GUI version for my application.
    Maybe someone know a program, which can be installed on the nokia E70 mobile phone(Symbian V9.1, S603rd platform), and as result I can run my 'textshell' application within.
    So I can finally see my application running in my mobile phone.
    It would be great.
    or is the ONLY solution, people need to make the GUI version first, to see it running on real mobile phone?
    Any hints or helps would be appreciated

Best Regards,
    Anton Herman
    Best Regards,
    Anton Herman

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Any program to run textshell on the phone?

On 3rd edition applications are .exe executables, thus non-GUI .exe-s can also be started from the application menu. You just need to deploy a minimal registration file.
    Code:
    // <your app>_reg.rss
    #include <appinfo.rh>

UID2 KUidAppRegistrationResourceFile
    UID3 0x<your UID>

RESOURCE APP_REGISTRATION_INFO
    {
        app_file="<name of executable without the .exe extension>";
    }
    Compile it from .mmp
    Code:
    START RESOURCE    <your app>_reg.rss
    #ifdef WINSCW
    TARGETPATH 	  \private\10003a3f\apps
    #else
    TARGETPATH 	  \private\10003a3f\import\apps
    #endif
    END
    And deploy using the .pkg
    Code:
    "...epoc32\release\data\z\\private\10003a3f\import\apps\<your app>_reg.rsc"-"!:\private\10003a3f\import\apps\<your app>_reg.rsc"

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    On 3rd edition applications are .exe executables, thus non-GUI .exe-s can also be started from the application menu. You just need to deploy a minimal registration file.
    Code:
    // <your app>_reg.rss
    #include <appinfo.rh>

UID2 KUidAppRegistrationResourceFile
    UID3 0x<your UID>

RESOURCE APP_REGISTRATION_INFO
    {
        app_file="<name of executable without the .exe extension>";
    }
    Compile it from .mmp
    Code:
    #ifdef WINSCW
    #else
    TARGETPATH 	  \private\10003a3f\import\apps
    #endif
    END
    Code:
    "...epoc32\release\data\z\\private\10003a3f\import\apps\<your app>_reg.rsc"-"!:\private\10003a3f\import\apps\<your app>_reg.rsc"

where to write the code and what should be the extension name

<your app>_reg.rss is <your app>_reg.rss. For example YourApp_reg.rss in the group folder.
    "Compile it from .mmp" comes to the .mmp file. For example at the end of YourApp.mmp in the group folder.

Thanks a lot wizard_hu. [ It helped me solve one big issue :) ]
    This helps in installing a console application too, where after implementing a <yourapp>_reg.rss file, you will have the application listed in 'installed items'.

What if we want to call another file, a midlet to be precise from our existing application? How can we make these two EXEs should run parallelly and bring the focus to the midlet?
    stay hungry, stay foolish :-)

Regular Contributor

Question Re: Any program to run textshell on the phone?

On 3rd edition applications are .exe executables, thus non-GUI .exe-s can also be started from the application menu. You just need ...
    Code:
    This is very helpful. A question, though: the line for the .pkg file is correct for the target, but not for the emulator. The pesky "import/" subdirectory isn't there for the emulator. I haven't seen a way (yet) to conditionalize the .pkg file other than using the macros like $(EPOCROOT). So while I changed my .pkg line to read:
    Code:
    "$(EPOCROOT)Epoc32\release\$(PLATFORM)\$(TARGET)\z\private\10003a3f\import\apps\myapp_reg.rsc"-"!:\private\10003a3f\import\apps\myapp_reg.rsc"
    it doesn't build completely cleanly under the emulator configuration. Suggestions? Do I need a separate .pgk file to make this work correctly? Ick...

Oh, the instructions as they stand do allow me to run from the emulator, since Carbide.c++ seems to oblige in building the .rsc files in the right places.
    Last edited by UncleOp; 2008-04-09 at 18:46. Reason: a little more info

In fact personally I never use the conditional TARGETPATH-selection, but simply use
    Code:
    END
    since it is totally indifferent to the .pkg file if it has to get the registration file from a location which would not be correct on the device. Who cares... I just included this construct in the post, since it is always present in Nokia example codes for some mysterious reason.
    So if you remove the conditionals, the .pkg file will be fine for all builds. In fact you can rarely use a WINSCW-built .sis file anyway.

Regular Contributor

In fact personally I never use the conditional TARGETPATH-selection, but simply use
    Code:
    END
    since it is totally indifferent to the .pkg file if it has to get the registration file from a location which would not be correct on the device.
    Interesting. In the File Locations section [1], it says:
    Applications on the emulator, or built into the ROM must provide registration files in:
    \private\10003a3f\apps\
    Applications installed via Software Install must provide registration files in:
    \private\10003a3f\import\apps\
    And I recollect (but can't remember where I saw it) that this has something to do with eclipsing applications.

Who cares... I just included this construct in the post, since it is always present in Nokia example codes for some mysterious reason.
    Heh. As a developer, I sort of don't care, though with the conditionals I get an "error" in the emulator build, and that in turn results in a prompt, "do you want to run (in the emulator) even though there are errors in the project?". But with a different hat, the CM/QA hat, I like to get rid of all "spurious" warnings or errors in my build so that - when a "real" error or warning comes up - I see it and it is not buried in the forest of false positives.
    So if you remove the conditionals, the .pkg file will be fine for all builds. In fact you can rarely use a WINSCW-built .sis file anyway.
    Fair enough; getting the application registered is a win for all the reasons listed thus far.

A side question, though (perhaps better posted in a new thread?): how does an application launched as a registered app get its arguments? I have a little C++ glue that calls on a CCommandLineArguments object to get and populate my "traditional" argv and argc to main(). When I use the eshell for my .exe (a legacy app that doesn't do GUI), the arguments are there. But when I use the new-fangled WRT (Widget Run Time) kit and its widget.openApplication() call, I only get the executable (argv[0], with argc = 1). Is this more likely a problem with the WRT or is it a feature of invoking registered applications?

Thanks.

[1] On my system the Carbide.c++ v1.3 Help link is http://127.0.0.1:54895/help/topic/co...2darchitecture
    - YMMV.
    Last edited by UncleOp; 2008-04-10 at 15:07. Reason: formatting

Regular Contributor

Exclamation Re: Any program to run textshell on the phone?

Code:
    END
    since it is totally indifferent to the .pkg file if it has to get the registration file from a location which would not be correct on the device. Who cares... I just included this construct in the post, since it is always present in Nokia example codes for some mysterious reason....
    Ah ha! In another thread it was suggested that I needed to switch to the 3rd Edition FP1 SDK instead of FP2. As I skimmed the release notes, what pops out but this:
    - Emulator freezes if files are deployed into \private\10003a3f\import\apps. Therefore, it is recommended to use following template to define _reg.rss resources in the .mmp file:

START RESOURCE HelloWorldBasic_reg.rss
    #ifdef WINSCW
    TARGETPATH \private\10003a3f\apps
    #else
    TARGETPATH \private\10003a3f\import\apps
    #endif END //RESOURCE
    Sooo I guess I'll try it without the conditional, and if the emulator in FP1 does freeze, I'll try it with the conditional.

Irritating. Is there an MR planned for FP1? Until recently, I sort of assumed FP2 was the "MR", but I have since been disabused of that notion.

i have all the lines you said i should have.
    but my freaking .rsg file is still not being opened. also the .mbg file "can not be opened"
    It was all working fine, i don't know why it stopped all of a sudden. And it is gettin on my nerves!

sb help me out here, pls. Is there anything else i should consider?
    Last edited by MkTk; 2010-11-16 at 08:49.

Nevermind, i removed some images from the mbm by editing the mmp.
    and it's back on track. I don't know how all of these is related to rss and the rsg as it is suggested.. and that's really really really annoying- when coding sounds like magic.
    ...the windmills of the gods..