Discussion Board

Midlet Default Access Point

I've seen this question come up before but could not see an asnwer.
    How do I set a default access point for a Java application on an E70 so that it doesn't keep asking the user to pick from a list?

This is important as my company produces j2me business applications and if the user is asked, they get confused or pick the wrong one. I can't see anything in the "Suite Settings", the usual place for doing this.

Thanks.

Super Contributor

Re: Midlet Default Access Point

This is the normal behavior of S60 phones. The user is asked for the access point to be used. On Series 40 phones the MIDlets use the default access point defined in the phone settings, but there is no such concept on S60 devices.

Hartti

That's a shame, it means we are going to have to reject a phone that would otherwise be ideal for our sort of applications. One of the requirements that we have is that the user is not asked any questions we don't have control over, sooner or later (usually sooner) they will get the answer wrong! Not to mention they find the pop-up annoying since the answer (for them) is always the same.

Could this be considered for a future firmware update please? Even my old 6320 allows the the connection to be specified.
    Ideal would be like other applications, i.e. have the option to use a default or to ask each time.

Super Contributor

In the case of E70 - that phone also has WiFi, so limiting the user to use the default access point all the time is not really a good idea. The user might want to user the WiFi access point while sitting in a cafe. However a little later, when sitting in a train he/she might want to use the cellular data. So I would say the answer for your user is most likely not the same all the time.

Out of curiosity, what kind of business applications is your company (what's the name) working on? You can also contact me through email (click my screen name), if you do not want to share that info here.

Hartti