Discussion Board

RProcess::Kill without PowerMgmt

I just wanted to share my experience with that API.
    I was using it from a process without PowerMgmt capability and funny enough it has some dramatic side effect on the device.

On E50 it just crashes the phone. The only way out is to remove the battery. Maybe that phone needs a firmware update though.

On N80 it makes the phone running dramatically slow until you reboot. That was with the latest firmware to date.

Regular Contributor

Re: RProcess::Kill without PowerMgmt

You could try to use EndTask() instead of KillTask(). No PowerMgmt capability required.

Super Contributor

That is only used to kill tasks that have a UI. If the task is marked as a system task then you require power management anyway.

My guess is the system stability issue is due to some other external factor such as someone watching or manipulating the thread or process incorrectly/concurrently or a really early ROM image.

Without the code it is hard to speculate

I'm not sure now that the RProcess::Kill call is responsible for the N80 performance issue. But it definitely was causing the crash on E50.

I'm using ECOM recognizer framework to manage a service process since the startup list management API is only C drive based and therefore won't work for pre-installed application. So in the destructor of my recognizer I try to kill the service and that was working just fine before V9.

BTW I don't believe they (Symbian/Nokia) still haven't manage to provide a proper framework for start-on-boot in V9/3rd ed To me it should be down to Symbian to do that so that you don't have to go for different implementation for UIQ. Yet again another point in favour of the dirty recognizer solution.

However I have the impression that recognizers are not loaded upon inserting the memory card on some phones at least...

Quote Originally Posted by lenclud
    I'm using ECOM recognizer framework to manage a service process since the startup list management API is only C drive based and therefore won't work for pre-installed application.
    Unless the application is also preinstalled on C drive, I'd assume?

Max.