Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

"certificate error contact the application supplier"

hi,

I have the following problem - I cannot self sign any applications (N80 - Series 60 V3). I use Carbide to develop, make a basic hello world and sign it with my Verisign ACS publisher ID. the device still says "certificate error contact the application supplier"

my UID is in the 0x0A range
    the device is set to accept "All" (as opposed to "signed only")

any ideas ?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: "certificate error contact the application supplier"

Make sure that the dates are synchronized between your phone and your PC. The device will not accept certificates originating from the future.

Regular Contributor

I am also facing the same problem. The certificate is valid and the device settings are also correct.

Not sure what could be the problem.

Certificate validity - from July 2007 to July 2008.

Nokia Developer Champion

Smile Re: "certificate error contact the application supplier"

Quote Originally Posted by vinayakak View Post
    I am also facing the same problem. The certificate is valid and the device settings are also correct.

Not sure what could be the problem.

Certificate validity - from July 2007 to July 2008.
    I hope you have signed your .Sis file before installing.
    If you are Self-Signing then have a look into following Wiki Page:
    How to sign a .Sis file with Self-Sign Certificate

If it's with Developer Certificate then have a look into Following Wiki Page:
    Developer certificate

Kiran.

hi,

check this link to know the reason for ur error..

https://blogs.forum.nokia.com/view_entry.html?id=93

Regards,
    Mateen Maldar
    "Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve"

I have the same problem. Does anybody really know the solution?

You have the same problem? And the solutions/recommendations made in the previous posts somehow don't apply to you?

That's odd. Even more so as you don't see the need of providing more information that could help us understand what exactly have you done to fix the problem and how that did not help at all.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Nokia Developer Champion
    camilo2255, please do not ask one question several times: Where should someone answer? Let us continue there …
    Last edited by traud; 2009-05-20 at 15:10.

What do you know, not even the same problem ...
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

At Itomuta:

I resent that tone, coming from a forum Expert. I fail to see in which way my error is different than the posted in this thread.

The previous posts don't apply to me somehow. But it seems that they don't apply to the other people either, since nobody in this thread has reported the issue as solved.

User "traud" was very nice to give me some links to security documentation, which I'm going to read promptly.

Thanks

Well, we all have bad days some times ...

It's better to focus a bit when asking a question and if you reopen a thread do it so by using and continuing the initial discussion. "I have the same problem" does not bring anything useful to the table.

Also, java vs native ... different runtimes, different security models ... even if the error message is similar the problem is likely to differ in its details.
    -- Lucian

Hey all,

I'll admit out of the gate that I have no idea about even the moderately technical aspects of Symbian. I used a Nokia smart phone a couple years ago and loved it because it was easy to add a wide variety of apps and what-not without having to deal with many errors or freezing or crashes etc, etc.

That said, I am getting the "certificate error..." also. I have the E71x (S60v3). I've tried downloading a game or two from the carrier's "mobile mall" site (ATT) and I get the error. I figured it was just an incompatibility because ATT hasn't used a more complex (?) Symb OS in years so their apps wouldn't work (by the way, ATT has NO IDEA about anything when it comes to this phone... it's just too new). But I have tried downloading something as simple and straight forward as Widsets from Nokia, which I have been told by a friend will work. Maybe they were wrong, I don't know. I've tried the "quick and easy" fixes talked about: in the App. Mgr., switching Software Install to ALL and Online Cert Check to OFF, still doesn't work. Do I need to turn off the phone?

It's been mentioned that no one has really straight forward said, "This is how you fix this." Is it an issue with no real resolve? I've called Nokia about their own apps and they didn't have anything for me, said it may be my carrier... what is the chance?

I don't know how to create my own certs, I don't really want to have to bother, unless it takes so little time that it may be worth the few minutes per app. I just don't want to have to spend 3 hours per app I'm interested in adding.

I know most of you know your stuff and don't consider it to be that tough or difficult to understand, but this isn't my thing. I do genetic coding for a pharmaceutical co. Difficult in it's own right. Just please be patient with those of us who are admittedly SLOW with this stuff.

Any info, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you guys for your time.

Regular Contributor

here is a link you might find useful
    http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/index.p...7&articleId=93

Quote Originally Posted by scavanger34 View Post
    Hey all,

I'll admit out of the gate that I have no idea about even the moderately technical aspects of Symbian. I used a Nokia smart phone a couple years ago and loved it because it was easy to add a wide variety of apps and what-not without having to deal with many errors or freezing or crashes etc, etc.

That said, I am getting the "certificate error..." also. I have the E71x (S60v3). I've tried downloading a game or two from the carrier's "mobile mall" site (ATT) and I get the error. I figured it was just an incompatibility because ATT hasn't used a more complex (?) Symb OS in years so their apps wouldn't work (by the way, ATT has NO IDEA about anything when it comes to this phone... it's just too new). But I have tried downloading something as simple and straight forward as Widsets from Nokia, which I have been told by a friend will work. Maybe they were wrong, I don't know. I've tried the "quick and easy" fixes talked about: in the App. Mgr., switching Software Install to ALL and Online Cert Check to OFF, still doesn't work. Do I need to turn off the phone?

It's been mentioned that no one has really straight forward said, "This is how you fix this." Is it an issue with no real resolve? I've called Nokia about their own apps and they didn't have anything for me, said it may be my carrier... what is the chance?

I don't know how to create my own certs, I don't really want to have to bother, unless it takes so little time that it may be worth the few minutes per app. I just don't want to have to spend 3 hours per app I'm interested in adding.

I know most of you know your stuff and don't consider it to be that tough or difficult to understand, but this isn't my thing. I do genetic coding for a pharmaceutical co. Difficult in it's own right. Just please be patient with those of us who are admittedly SLOW with this stuff.

Any info, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you guys for your time.
    Aside from the fact that there should be better forums for end-users to use (this is reserved for developers ) there is one thing that should be clear to you: at no point should you ever consider signing a sis file that you have not created yourself, just as well as you are not expected to sign checks which you don't issue but only hope to cash.

The signing is applied by a developers in order to certify that a) he is the developers of that package, b) the package is unmodified (or else the signature would be broken) and c) if the signing is done through a trusted CA (i.e. Symbian Signed) that the application is also quality wise "certified".

The minimal thing you should do, as already hinted here, is to ensure that your phone accepts non-certified applications. See the settings in the Applications Manager. If the setting change does not help then all you can/should do is what the error message already suggests: contact the application supplier which can be either the seller (AT&T) or the developer. Have you checked their web sites? They might have already clear instructions on how to solve this issue ...
    -- Lucian