Discussion Board

SMS Receiving Port No

Respected Sir,

I am begineer on J2ME tech. Now I can send SMS(Text) through my
    small J2ME app . But now i want to build a application which will
    be responsible to read all incoming SMS(Text) .
    Pls tell me how i can
    proceed. which Port No are used for receive SMS . plz give
    me some guide line. Can any on etell me service provide Port No is generalize
    or specialize ???? if generalize then what is the Port NO
    many many thx in advance

thx
    Souvik

Super Contributor

Re: SMS Receiving Port No

souvik4321, with J2ME you can access only SMS messages sent to your MIDlet. You do not have access to inbox, nor to all of the incoming messages.

Hartti

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by hartti
    souvik4321, with J2ME you can access only SMS messages sent to your MIDlet. You do not have access to inbox, nor to all of the incoming messages.

Hartti
    Hi Hartti,
    Is it possible to send a sms message to a port number(EX: 5000) of SMS receiver Midlet in Symbian SDK SMS API? I searched the Symbian SMS APIs, it does not provide any port number, how could I send sms to a midlet version SMS-receiver program?

Thanks,
    Chinlin

Super Contributor

In Java ME you can send a SMS to a specific port (see JSR-120 also known as Wireless Messaging API). It should be possible also on Symbian side, but I am not familiar with Symbian coding.
    You cannot send an SMS to a specific port using the built-in messaging application

Hartti

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by hartti
    In Java ME you can send a SMS to a specific port (see JSR-120 also known as Wireless Messaging API). It should be possible also on Symbian side, but I am not familiar with Symbian coding.
    You cannot send an SMS to a specific port using the built-in messaging application

Hartti
    Hartti,
    I still find no information about SMS with port number in Symbian C++ SDK. Does anyone know about it? I think it is not a good idea that the normal SMS without port number could not received by the SMS Midlet, I guess it might be the security problem. But why not use confirmation to execute the warnning by users? I think the JSR standard workgroup/implementer might put this into consideration.
    Thanks!

chinlin

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by chinlin
    Hartti,
    I still find no information about SMS with port number in Symbian C++ SDK. Does anyone know about it? I think it is not a good idea that the normal SMS without port number could not received by the SMS Midlet, I guess it might be the security problem. But why not use confirmation to execute the warnning by users? I think the JSR standard workgroup/implementer might put this into consideration.
    Thanks!

chinlin
    I found the solution. That is to use the PDU low level SMS messaging in Symbian SDK.

Sending a message from Symbian C++ to a J2ME MIDlet
    http://www.newlc.com/Sending-a-messa...Symbian-C.html

Sending SMS to emulator through application

Hi Friends,

I want to know: Is there any way to send a SMS to an emulator through our .NET desktop application?

Actually, I have developed a bill-notification service. A mobile application is developed (in J2ME) which is activated when an SMS comes on port 5000. It shows information to the user after extracting it from the received SMS. The user has the option to submit his response to the application. The application then sends the user-response back to the sender application. Now, the sender application has to receive and process the user-response.

We can use a SMS gateway API in SMS-sending application to interact with a mobile phone. Many SMS-Gateways are providing two-way SMS facility. But the problem is that our company is new in the field of mobile application development. The management wants to test the functionality without providing any mobile phone. They want all-free.

I do not know whether or not an emulator will be used from within my SMS-sending application (which I am going to develop in .NET), and whether or not it can receive the response sent back by the emulator.

Please help me. Me (and my company's management) will remain grateful to you.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by chinlin
    I found the solution. That is to use the PDU low level SMS messaging in Symbian SDK.

Sending a message from Symbian C++ to a J2ME MIDlet
    http://www.newlc.com/Sending-a-messa...Symbian-C.html
    I found the sample is not completed, and I don't know what is the next to do with the UserDataHeader(TP-User-Data-Header) that he just filled the application port number in the PDU data, and do nothing... (I think he forgot to describ how to send the extra header for application port number)

Does anyone know?

Thanks,
    Chinlin

Regular Contributor

Hi, I want to recevie the SMS with GSM AT command(CNMI).
    I have problem using the AT command in nokia 6630.

Firstly, I send the command, it is ok:
    AT+CMGF=1
    Secondly,
    I send AT+CNMI=1,2,0,0,0 to recevie all sms messges doesn't not succeed
    it response "ERR" instread.
    I guess nokia 6630 doesn't enable such option.
    does anyone successfuly execute the AT command?

Did u try AT+CMGR="REC READ". Did it work ?
    For phones, it will auto receive the SMSes. You must use AT+CPMS to read it from the memory.
    Check out my Freeware MMS, SMS Server
    http://www.mobizware.com

Regular Contributor

it doesn't work.
    I just searched some articles for nokia 6630.
    it doesn't allow the sms receive GSM AT command
    I think I need an old nokia phone to do such test.
    -_-

Smile Re: SMS Receiving Port No

Hi,

I have being successful at sending and receiving sms messages via AT commands on Nokia 6610 mobile phone.
    the command to be used are

set the msg format to text mode
    at+cmgf=1

enables notification of new messages to the DTE
    at+cnmi=2,2,0,0

I have tried using the same command set on Nokia 6600 and N93 but it seems that they do not support these commands.

Hii..
    I have to develop an J2ME application where a requesting SMS will be received requesting result. Reply SMS has to be sent back to the same number reqesting the result.
    For this the received SMS had to be accessed through PC and result is to be sent back via the application.
    So a Nokia 6233 phone is connected to the pc via USB cable. But m not able to access the phone in java code.
    pls reply soon

THrough PCConnectivity Api i can send an sms from pc using phone.Now i want to send it on paticular port no. is It possible? Because i have tried it with sms:\\Ph_noort_no but sms is not recieved(but it is sent as per balance deducted).Thank you

i also want that pls anybody has the solution pls post in forum

thanks...