Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Startup List API and self signed sis

am I correct in my impression that it is impossible to add to the startup list from a self signed package (only possible in symbian signed or with devcert) ?

I made a very simple hello world with a pkg that adds it to the startup list.

built it once signing it with devcert - the startup thing worked.

built it once self signed (with certificate and key generated by makekeys, not an ACS Publisher ID) - the startup thing did not work.

If I am correct in my above impression, would it work using embedded sis, if the embedded sis is symbian signed and adds something to the startup, while the outer sis is self signed.. ?

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Startup List API and self signed sis

you can not mix self-signed & symbian-signed sis files, thus your self-signed sis can only have self-signed sis files embedded, and if you want to embed symbian-signed sis, you need to sign that sis as well.

And, I could confirm that you need to sign autostarting stuff before it works.

yucca

Nokia Developer Moderator

The SDK help says:
    Quote Originally Posted by [URL="mk:@MSITStore:C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR\S60Doc\S60_CPP_SDK_3rd_APIRefGuide.chm::/Startup_List_Management_API4.html"]Startup List Management API[/URL]
    In addition, the following requirements must be met:

• The installation package containing the application must be trusted, i.e. it must be signed with a valid certificate.

Self-signed is not trusted.

A small correction to Yucca's post: one can mix self-signed with certified sis packages in the sense that certified packages ("Symbian signed" or devcert signed) can be embedded in an self-signed sis but not the other way arround.

So, your scenario could work, except that from the same "Startup List Management API" technical specifications we find that

Quote Originally Posted by [URL="mk:@MSITStore:C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR\S60Doc\S60_CPP_SDK_3rd_APIRefGuide.chm::/Startup_List_Management_API4.html"]Startup List Management API[/URL]
    • In case of an embedded package, the control file must be included in the parent package.
    and since the parent package is untrusted ...

Best regards,
    Last edited by ltomuta; 2006-12-12 at 12:32.

Regular Contributor

ltomuta says
    "Self-signed is not trusted."
    does that include self signed using ACS Publisher ID - does that also fall under the category of not trusted ?

Nokia Developer Expert

all other than symbian-signed and developer-certificate-signed are self-signed ones.

yucca

I have a problem regarding this Startup List Management API. I couldn't find any solution yet, and I've searched all the forums and docs upside down...
    I have a passive SIS that embeds an "engine" SIS. Although it's passive, I've made it use a protected range UID, I signed it with a DevCert. The Startup API docs say that in case of embedded SIS, the registration .rsc file must reside in the parent SIS, so I made that. I tried naming the RSC both with parent UID and with engine UID, and it still does nothing. If I include the [2XXX...].rsc in the engine, same thing, nothing happens. If I include the rsc in the engine (named by engine UID), and I don't embed it into the passive sis - then it works.

So my guess is we cannot have a startup resource that starts up a .exe (no matter with/without UI) included in an embedded sis.

What workaround do you guys recommend to try?

Quote Originally Posted by SDK Help
    The control file must be named as [<package UID>].RSC, where <package UID> equals to the UID of the installation package.
    Are you aware of that it is about the UID of the .pkg, not the executable?

Yes, I am aware of that. I am using the package UID to name the .rsc file. I tried both with parent package UID and engine package UID. Same result - not working.

API's technical specifications document sais:
    In addition, the following requirements must be met:

• The installation package containing the application must be trusted, i.e. it must be signed with a valid certificate.
    • The installation package must install the application executable to be added into the startup list.
    • The installation package type must be SISAPP.
    • In case of an embedded package, the control file must be included in the parent package.
    • The control file must be named as [<package UID>].RSC, where <package UID> equals to the UID of the installation package.
    • The control file must not contain any other resource items than those defined in the Detailed description section.

If any of the requirements above is not met, the Software Installer UI ignores the startup control file and no items will be added to the startup list.
    I think that you should take that ad litteram; though, I must confess, I have not tried all the possible combinations of adding an application to the startup list.

That's very true, we must take it Ad Litteram.
    But the problem is still unsolved. I can see no approach to use an embedded sis that has an executable and wants to register it for autostart. The two statements there hit one each other:
    1. The installation package must install the application executable to be added into the startup list
    2. In case of an embedded package, the control file must be included in the parent package

There's something wrong in paradise...

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca
    you can not mix self-signed & symbian-signed sis files, thus your self-signed sis can only have self-signed sis files embedded, and if you want to embed symbian-signed sis, you need to sign that sis as well.
    yucca
    This is not true, you can have a self-signed application with a Symbian signed sis file included, for example a recognizer

Regards
    lkz633