Discussion Board

Question How can i edit stun server in N80 IE ?

Hi,
    my sip provider doesn't give me any configuration file to set sip parameters in N80 IE, so i can't use VoIP.
    I red in this forum the stun settings can't be edited from the terminal user interface.
    How can i edit this settings ?
    Where is in phone any file to edit?
    Have i to send me a special sms with sip settings ?
    Thanks for your support.
    Skizzo3000

Configurations:
    ADSL -> Router -> AP -> Nokia N80 IE
    Sip providers:
    http://www.voipstunt.com/en/sip.html
    http://www.skypho.net/index.php?opti...id=127&lang=en

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: How can i edit stun server in N80 IE ?

Hi,
    You can find the documentation about Nokia VoIP client 2.0 here:
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/reso..._IP/index.html

You will see that the documentation is really targeted to VoIP service providers. Please ask your service provider to create a SIS-file for their VoIP SIP settings for Nokia S60 3rd devices.

The recorded webinar in the bottom of the page, will give a good overview how to provisioning the Nokia VoIP client.

One VoIP configuration file (downloadable SIS file) is the Gizmo SIPPHONE client conveniently available behind N80 IE's "Download" or "Catalogue" client in your phone. See attached picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nokia Developer Expert

Editing STUN settings is not supported/possible for the moment from the phone user-interface of Nokia VoIP client 2.0. However, VoIP service providers may configure the STUN settings; e.g. STUNSrvAddr (IPv4/6 address or host name with domain name), STUNSrvPort (Port number (default: 3478) and STUNRetransmit (STUN retransmit timer value in milliseconds (default: 250milliseconds) either by provisioning these setting with

1) Open Mobile Alliance (OMA) Client Provisioning
    2) Open Mobile Alliance (OMA) Device Management
    3) VoIP plugin (how to create this Installable Symbian Installation File (.sisx) will be announced during 1Q2007)

If the STUN server address is not configured, the terminal tries to find one with a SIP SRV query using the Public User Identity domain of the used SIP profile.

Quote Originally Posted by nly
    Editing STUN settings is not supported/possible for the moment from the phone user-interface of Nokia VoIP client 2.0. However, VoIP service providers may configure the STUN settings; e.g. STUNSrvAddr (IPv4/6 address or host name with domain name), STUNSrvPort (Port number (default: 3478) and STUNRetransmit (STUN retransmit timer value in milliseconds (default: 250milliseconds) either by provisioning these setting with

1) Open Mobile Alliance (OMA) Client Provisioning
    2) Open Mobile Alliance (OMA) Device Management
    3) VoIP plugin (how to create this Installable Symbian Installation File (.sisx) will be announced during 1Q2007)

If the STUN server address is not configured, the terminal tries to find one with a SIP SRV query using the Public User Identity domain of the used SIP profile.

What sort of SRV record is it looking for? Obviously, a SIP srv record would not return a STUN server unless the STUN server and SIP proxy were located on the same machine (and even then, the port information would not be correct). Assuming one chooses to go the route of using a STUN server with SRV records (which we have, but for some reason Nokia doesn't see), what format is Nokia's OS looking for?

usually _stun._udp.yourdomain.com will be used. just us a packet sniffer on port 53 and you will see all the DNS lookups of your phone.

Nokia Developer Expert

The STUN server address, either an FQDN or a direct numeric IP address, can be defined with provisioning. If not provisioned, the VoIP client will try to resolve the address with a DNS SRV query. The query is expanded from the SIP domain, that is, the hostname part of the user’s SIP URI as specified in RFC 2782 and draft-ietf-behave-rfc3489bis-04.

For example, if the configured SIP URI is sip:john.doe@my.voip.provider.com, the DNS SRV query will be performed to _stun._udp.my.voip.provider.com

I have configured a _stun._udp SRV record in my DNS server with the hope of getting my N80ie to work at public access points and at my parents house. I have an Asterisk server on my local LAN at home.

It doesn't appear to be working at my parents house. I have configured the logging on my DNS server and the phone is querying the SRV record and then querying for stunserver.org but the phone does not update the IP address of to the public IP according to the Asterisk logs. It works at home as I temporarily configured the SRV record in my local LAN and the phone updated the URI with the public IP address. At my parents they have a Linksys router and I therefore think I've run into this problem:
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ad.php?t=96691

So a couple of questions:
    1. Is there a workaround?
    2. Will this be fixed in the next firmware?
    3. And if so, when will the next firmware be out?

Cheers,
    Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by OxleyDave
    1. Is there a workaround?
    2. Will this be fixed in the next firmware?
    3. And if so, when will the next firmware be out?

Cheers,
    Dave.
    Can anyone answer these questions please? My firmware is 4.0632.0.38. I'm assuming this firmware contains the VOIP 2.0 client. Is the problem fixed in the VOIP 2.1 client and if so when will this be available for the N80i?

Cheers,
    Dave.

This doesn't answer any questions on how to edit the stun server in Nokia phones, it might however give you other inputs on how to solve the actual problem. My main message is that under some circumstances activating STUN can prevent communicating through a router, i.e. it has the opposite effect as intended. Some relative modern routers have a built in function for handling the SIP protocol. Some manufacturers call it ALG, Application Level Gateway. I have never seen any documentation on what the ALG is doing. There is some documentation on what Nokia is doing in the phones regarding STUN but I haven't checked it lately.

The SIP protocol is not intended to be used behind a router. Some vital signaling, like which port the bit stream from the remote phone will be received at, is communicated inside UDP packages. If the STUN function in the phone are changing the content of some packages to give the correct function this might be changed once again by the ALG. I have read about those having problems of this nature when using Asterix. They sniffed the communication and found that the reason for the problem was like above, the STUN function in the phone changing some content, the ALG changing it again. I had a problem which seemed to be of the same nature but didn't analyze it in detail - I have an ALG in my router.

I have been involved in helping people getting through their routers when using Nokia phones with SIP. So far the problems have all been solved by changing settings in the router. The solutions might differ but a quick fix wort trying is:

- Set up the router to give the phone the same IP-address every time.

- Often the routers have a function called DMZ, DeMilitarized Zone, if an IP is in DMZ it is allowed to pass through the router firewall undisturbed and is allowed to act as a server for incoming calls. This set up is usually easier than using port forwarding for a lot of ports. Use the DMZ for the phones IP address.

- When trying solutions like above keep in mind that there is a time out for UDP ports in the router, usually around five minutes.

- A subscription with a supplier for phoning with the SIP protocol usually comes with a program to install in the computer for phoning. Turn this program of, often it uses the same port (UDP 5060) as the phone will use. Keep in mind the time out mentioned above.

- Should there be an ALG in the router it is sometimes possible to turn it of.

Still again:

STUN will not always help, in many cases it will instead prevent phoning with SIP. It should be possible to turn STUN on/off in a simple way in the phone.