Discussion Board

"Unable to install" sis file

Hello

I have been building sis files for some time now using Carbide but this time I've stumbled upon something I can't figure out.

I created a fresh project using Carbide and ported my application to it. It runs fine on the emulator so I'm confident that it works.

I went on to create my sis and that worked too. But when I try to install it I get "Unable to install". I stripped the *.pkg so that it doesn't include any binaries at all but I get the same error message. So my guess is that something is wrong with the UID or SID.

I have looked through all my code and since this was a new project the risk of old UIDs lurking is slim. I even changed the UID to start with 0xE when I created the project.

Is there any log written on the target (N73) that is a bit more verbose than the "Unable to install" message?

What should I try next? Creating the project from scratch?

The only thing I did differently this time is that I copied some lines from previous .cdtbuild files like:

<listOptionValue builtIn="false" value="fbscli.lib"/>

I did this because I was sick of writing them over and over and because Carbide doesn't let you copy more than one setting at the time.

Could this be the issue? Nowhere in the copied code could I find any specific tags that could be project related.

Many questions but no answers.

/ Martin Malek

many thanks

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: "Unable to install" sis file

If your code runs on the emulator, you can check epocwind.out (in your temp folder - typically Documents and Settings\<youruser>\Local Settings\Temp) for Platform Security warnings (search for string platsec). However a freshly generated code should install on the device, it should rather fail to start.

I solved the problem by copying an existing project that works and changing names and UIDs in the project settings. I guess somehow the generated project was messed up and created corrupt sis files.

Would you know if there is a similar platsec or install log created on the device?

thanks,

Martin Malek

I'm having the same problem with the carbide as well...

Can I get a copy of that working project from ya? I am pretty much stuck...
    my email: raymond_lo_84 AT hotmail DOT com
    Thanks.

I am also getting same message "Unable to install" when i try to install .sisx file on mobile. I am using self sign sis file option and able to create both .sis and .sisx file.
    I tried with Restoring mobile and
    i tried to install platsec as suggested by Wizard_hu but getting "Invalid Jar file".
    I am stuck with this one please Somebody help me.

content of .pkg file:
    ------------------------
    ;Languages
    &EN

;Header ,TYPE=SA
    #{"SmsExample"},(0xE01FF1e5),2,1,0

;Localised Vendor name
    %{"Forum Nokia"}

;Unique Vendor name
    :"Forum Nokia"

;Supports S60 v 3.0
    [0x101F7961], 0, 0, 0, {"S60ProductID"}

;Supports Series 60 v 5.0
    [0x1028315F], 0, 0, 0, {"S60ProductID"}

; Files to install
    ; Six files to install
    ;
    "C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1_2\Epoc32\release\winscw\udeb\SmsExample.exe"-"!:\sys\bin\SmsExample.exe"
    "C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1_2\Epoc32\release\winscw\udeb\SMSEngine.dll"-"!:\sys\bin\SMSEngine.dll"
    "C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1_2\Epoc32\Data\z\resource\apps\SmsExample.rsc"-"!:\resource\apps\SmsExample.rsc"
    "C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1_2\Epoc32\data\z\private\10003a3f\apps\SmsExample_reg.rsc"-"!:\private\10003a3f\import\apps\SmsExample_reg.rsc"
    "C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1_2\Epoc32\Data\z\resource\apps\SmsExample.mif"-"!:\resource\apps\SmsExample.mif"
    "C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1_2\Epoc32\Data\z\resource\apps\SmsExample.mbm"-"!:\resource\apps\SmsExample.mbm"

Please re-check that the actual note is really "Unable to install", and if it is anything else, please write it here exactly as it is shown, also if you are using the device on any other language than in English, please turn it in English language, so we could get the error note without need for translations.

if the message indeed is "Unable to install", then you could try commenting lines out one-by-one from your pkg, and seeing which line in it is causing the installation to fail.

Thank you. I tried by commenting first two lines and installed successfully.
    I was getting .dll and .exe not found so i replaced "GCCE\urel" with "winscw\udeb" bcs .exe and .dll is not theree in that path....

;"C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1_2\Epoc32\release\winscw\udeb\SmsExample.exe"-"!:\sys\bin\SmsExample.exe"
    ;"C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1_2\Epoc32\release\winscw\udeb\SMSEngine.dll"-"!:\sys\bin\SMSEngine.dll"

Can you tel me where i went wrong. why .dll and exe is not creating in gcce folder??
    Last edited by please_help; 2011-09-22 at 06:26.

you can not install Wins builds, thus please add the GCCE\urel back, and see what goes wrong with your build.

Nokia Developer Champion

Well build the project(s) SmsExample & SmsEngine(if this dll project is available) in the gcce urel mode & see if the build gets successful.

Thanks for helping. I was building for the emulator so i was not able to install on mobile.
    I built with phone release(GCCE) and installed problem solved.
    Last edited by please_help; 2011-09-22 at 07:19.