Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Arrow ENTER A BT PIN USING A BT DONGLE AND NCF???

Hi all,

I'm using the NCF (Nokia Connectivity Framework) 1.2 with Carbidej 1.5 and the Series 60 Prototype 4.0 emulator. I've created a scenario where an emulator instance, which is running my MIDlet application (it uses BT API), uses a BT DONGLE to connect to some BT real devices that are waiting for BT clients connections!

I've made the Inquiry process correctly with NCF (the emulator displays the BT real devices found) but the ServiceDiscovery process is not finished because in the real scenario the BT devices ask the mobile phone for introducing the correct PIN to make the authentication process before opening the corresponding streams. Those BT devices are using the SPP (Serial Port Profile) and one of them always ask the phone for the PIN introduction while the another asks the phone for PIN introduction only the first time!

In the real situation, the phone displays a "Form" to introduce the PIN numbers but the emulator doesn't display anything!

I'm asking myself if NCF supports this facility and how I would be able to set those PIN numbers!

Please I need a little of help from you and from NOKIA stuff!

Best regards.

Summerman.
    Last edited by Summerman; 2006-12-20 at 12:57.

Regular Contributor

Re: ENTER A PIN USING A DONGLE AND NCF???

Hi Summerman!
    as you can see at
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ad.php?t=95529
    and in other similar threads,I also found problems pairing with NCF. All I could find on documentation is that emulator sends directly the pin "1234" so this should be always the pin to insert by the user on the real phone when it requests.
    But I found in reality that there are some problems:
    s60 3rd edition phone cannot be connected from prototype 4.
    s4rd edition phone after asking the pin code the connection freezes itself.
    These behaviours with the application "BTsppecho".

regards

Regular Contributor

Thumbs up Re: ENTER A PIN USING A DONGLE AND NCF???

Thanks Matrix241!

I would like to know what documentation you are talking about!

Threrefore,
    Does this documentation ensure the impossibility to make the pairing between a BT real device and an emulator instance which is running a MIDlet where the user should introduce the corresponding BT PIN matching with the BT real device?

If it doesn't exist possibility to configure the PIN number manually used by the emulator, I can't understand the scope of the NCF application in order to use BT real devices, so the most unlikely situation is to use a BT real device with the "1234" PIN number!

Thanks a lot for your help. I would like to solve this problem between us and other developers and experts in Forum Nokia. This is an interesting topic that Nokia staff should take into account to change now or in the future!

Please, if you have good news, keep me informed! I´ll do the same if I find out something interesting!

Best regards.

Summerman.

Regular Contributor

Hello Summerman,

the documentation I'm referring to is the file "Nokia_prototype_SDK_UsersGuide.pdf". It is located in the installation directory of prototype 4 emulator. In normal installations it should be c:\nokia\device\Nokia_prototype_sdk_4_0\docs". In that file it is said this :

"Note : Nokia Prototype SDK emulators do not provide a dialog for entering a PIN code during the PIN handshake. Instead, they automatically respond to any PIN code request with the character string “1234.” Use this value whenever the destination/originating host requires this information. For example, when a “Please insert PIN code” dialog is displayed."

Nothing is said about the ability to change the "1234" setting.
    I tried to find manually if it is a setting on the various xml files of emulator configuration but I had no success.

I tried to use also S60 3rd edition for MIDP emulator instead, but no way about switching on bluetooth functionality using BT usb and NCF.

bye

Regular Contributor

Thanks Matrix241 again!

I'm looking into this topic and if I have some news, I'll keep you informed!
    I hope you do the same!

Merry Christmas.

Summerman.

Question Re: ENTER A PIN USING A DONGLE AND NCF???

Hi Summerman

I have the same problem. Do you know how change the "standard" PIN used by NCF?

Thanks for any information,

Zattar
    Last edited by lazattar; 2006-12-26 at 20:34.

Regular Contributor

Talking Re: ENTER A PIN USING A DONGLE AND NCF???

Hi Lazattar,

I'm looking into this topic but as Matrix241 said, emulators use PIN '1234' by
    default during PIN handshake!

Note : Nokia Prototype SDK emulators do not provide a dialog for entering a PIN code during the PIN handshake. Instead, they automatically respond to any PIN code request with the character string “1234.” Use this value whenever the destination/originating host requires this information. For example, when a “Please insert PIN code” dialog is displayed.
    This quoute is presented in the Nokia Prototype SDK 4.0 User Guide.

I recommend you to have a look to it because it mentions some topics about NCF 1.2.

I expect we will keep informed if any discovery is made!

Best regards.

Summerman.