Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

The truth of implementing a VoIP client in Symbian

I think it's very urgent and necessary that somebody in Nokia clarifies the doubts about the possibility of implementing a VoIP client in Symbian 9.1 (and older versions).

We need to know what is necessary to have access to the libraries needed (eg: become a forum nokia pro member, ...) and what standards/protocols (RTP stack, SIP stack, ..) are implemented and what ones have to be implemented in each Symbian version. And of course the possibility of access to those libraries by developers.

Cheers.
    Benji.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: The truth of implementing a VoIP client in Symbian

I would suggest that you contact Forum Nokia, VoIP, business development managers. That maybe the best way to clarify the open issues you may have.

Americas: niklas.lyback@nokia.com
    EMEA: sanfrid.lindblom@nokia.com
    APAC: eng-wah.tay@nokia.com
    China: li.3.ma@nokia.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    Information that has been posted already here:

There are two main alternatives how to use VoIP services with S60 3rd ed phones: 1) Create a standalone full-duplex VoIP client with Symbian C++ or 2) configure the Nokia VoIP SIP client to work with IETF SIP servers.

Developers considering creating a full-duplex VoIP client are recommended to apply for Forum Nokia PRO membership as developers will need access to APIs, which are not currently available in the S60 3.0 SDK. Additionally, developers should note that there is already a full duplex Nokia VoIP client that ships with three S60 3rd Edition devices: the Nokia N80 multimedia device, Nokia E61 enterprise device, and Nokia N95 multimedia computer. VoIP service providers can simply configure this Nokia VoIP client to work with their SIP servers by manually configuring the settings, sending the OMA DM settings over SMS or creating an application that configures the Nokia client.

Useful information

1) Creating a Symbian VoIP client for S60 3rd devices:
    - Known audio routing & delay issue (for VoIP application developers) http://www.forum.nokia.com/Technical...S60_3rd_Ed.htm

- VoIP application specific test cases are defined in Nokia Test Criteria for Symbian C++ Applications

2) Nokia VoIP client
    - overview and OMA DM configuration documentation http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/reso..._IP/index.html

Question Re: The truth of implementing a VoIP client in Symbian

hello.. sorry to bore the developer forum, but I have some technical questions I don't thing I'll have an answer on any other place ;-)

I am a end-user (but quite tecnical) and need a UMTS phone with SIP Voip client to use it with my SIP local number, as mobile operators are **starting** to provide flat fixed data plans, at least in Italy..
    I came out with the Nokia E61, but I never used symbian OS and I have the following questions:

1) The VoIP client that is already shipped with the E61 is a standard SIP client? Can be locked by the ISP or it should works on any standard SIP provider? Does it works only along the WI-FI connection or it is completelly decoupled from the physical transport layer (e.g. works with UMTS, EDGE...)?
    2) In general, you -the developers- believe it is feasible to keep an always-on connection on a today-phone, or bacteries will miserabily die within hours (in other words, if keeping a data connection ON -without usage- is per se a bactery-intensive task)?
    3) Abuot application development on Symbian: Do you have a C++ compiler? A GTU standard toolkit??
    Which GUI library?? GTK, QT, wxWidgets..??? So you have a SDK for Linux systems?
    4) For the best or your knowledge, does exists tools to sync the PIM in the Nokia E61 with Linux PIM, like Evolution or Kontact??

Sorry for the large number of questions, but I am really new to Symbian and Nokia...

Regards,
    Antonello Lobianco

Unhappy Re: The truth of implementing a VoIP client in Symbian

..sorry.. it doesn't matter.. I didn't read the "light grey small text" at the end of the page of the mobile operator:

Flat data rates are only available if you use your mobile as a modem on your laptop, not if you use it "directly"...

It is clearly a marketing strategy for banning VoIP usage.. (you can't carry your laptop on yr pocket) :-((((

I own a laptop and a PDA but not a mobile.. there is a reason..

Nokia Developer Expert

1) Client settings cannot be locked. Client supports connection over 3G and WLAN. Technical documents about Nokia VoIP client:
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/reso...voice_over_IP/

2) Nokia S60 3rd Ed E- and N-series devices support WMM battery save (U-APSD). Default setting is to have battery save on. End-user can switch this off from Connection/WLAN/Option/Advanced settings. Additionally devices support Wi-Fi Multimedia.

3) Using the Nokia client does not require any Symbian C++ development as the APIs are not public. For the Nokia VoIP client you only need to create a SISX file that sets the configuration parameters for the Nokia VoIP client. Please contact forum Nokia VoIP BDMs if before tools are public. Alternatively you can create an own VoIP client. That requires you to do Symbian C++ development (UI, core engine, jitter management, RTP etc)

Hi, where can I get some information about configuring the SISX file to automate the Nokia VoIP Client configuration using J2ME. Thanks.

Nokia Developer Expert

Please contact Sanfrid.lindblom@nokia.com. He can advice when it will be possible for VoIP service provider to create a configuration file (Symbian file, not J2ME) for the Nokia Internet Telephony client. An example of such a configuration file for the Nokia Internet Telephony client is the Gizmo client available through the download client.

API to configure the Internet telephony client is not in the SDK.

I've seen Fring and it implements some functionalities I would to use but my application would act like a service acts in Windows detecting if WLAN is available and enabling Internet calls automatically, Fring seems to be develop using C++ and generates a .sis file. Would you have any advice for me? The worst is that I'm totally new at C++. Thanks.

Hi, my last question, before I give up to execute this task using J2ME, is if it's possible to access and edit any file that stores SIP profile's information and WLAN's informations using FileConnection, if so what's the file's path and name, and what kind of permission or signing I need to access them. Thanks.

No, the configuration info is not in a file that you can access from J2ME.

You cannot do anything like Fring in J2ME and I don't believe you can do automatic WLAN detection in there either - there just aren't any API's for it.

You would have to use C++ to do what you want and it is definitely not a project for a beginner. Sorry.

Sorcery

hi guys,

please any one find the clear answer about these problems ?
    i have mintioned this topic in many places but i didn't get a clear answer.

my main problem is : some S60 3rd ed handsets have SIP Stack and you can add SIP setting (Menu->Tools->Settings->Connection->SIP settings in N73) but it doesn't have internet telephony or you can't make internet call, can i reconfiger the handset in some how, or send a specific settings, or implement it programatically from my app., or any doable another idea ?

please give me a clear answer.

thanks in advance.

please any help
    Last edited by the_king2008; 2009-06-08 at 10:52.

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez help

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Quote Originally Posted by the_king2008 View Post
    pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez help
    I wish I oculd help, try posting this in the Symbian forum

Ron