Discussion Board

video display from WAP browser

Hi,
    I need to display video from a WAP browser. The information that I have gathered is, that this task needs a player to be installed on the mobile. Is it mandatory to have a audio/video player like real player running on the mobile?
    Is there any workaround to display the video in case there are no players installed on the mobile?
    If not can a J2ME midlet for playing video be integrated so that the midlet can be launched from the browser when the video display is requested?

-thanks
    Nagashree

Re: video display from WAP browser

Indeed you need to have a player installed, like real or packetvideo. There is a free realone player for mobiles on the net, but you never know upfront if the user has installed one.

I think associating videofiles with a java player is not possible, unless you're on the Symbian platform or download a java midlet everytime you click a link with the video data integrated in the midlet.

thanks a lot for the response. I have another problem trying to play the video.
    If I include the video as a href on the page, I want the video to be directly invoking the player instead of downloading and then playing. is this possible?

I think what you are talking about is "streaming" video. For that you need a streaming server. There is also progressive download that can be done with a standard web server and gets almost the same result, unfortunately I don't think many/any phones are supporting progressive download for video yet (some do for audio).

Hope that helps,
    Sorcery

If you want the video to be streamed, instead of downloaded, you need to have a mobile phone which is 3gpp compatible (all umts phones and some gprs/edge phones have this capability).
    A typical url would be rtsp://www.domain.com/music.3gp

For this protocol (rtsp) for the webserver to be recognized you need to install streaming server software, e.g. helix (expensive) or DSS (see www.apple.com) which is freeware and also runs on Windows platforms.
    There are a lot of other 'freeware' streaming server software, but none of them, except DSS, seems to work great on mobile phones.

Note: you also need to 'hint' your music/video files, which can be done by a freeware utility called mp4box. Use mp4box -hint -latm and copy the resulting files into your dss /movies folder.

Hi everyone...

I am facing a trouble..I am just trying to allow download of 3gp from site. Giving the href="http:..video/some.3gp"...This is working great for most phones, but it is giving trouble with smart phones(with symbiob nd other). It will be great if someone can help as soon as possible

3gp is not supported by all phones, e.g. none of the Windows Mobile phones, unless you install a 3gp player.

For other phones, make sure you use the correct codec.
    Some phones only support M4A/AAC, others H263/AAC, others only H263/AMR

Thankx so much for your reply...I really appreciate..
    Actually I have tested it on a smart phone with symbian 9 os, but rather than downloading the file, it starts to show a lot of junk data as it is trying to open it in a text format. And that phone also have a 3gp player...

Can you please suggest what could be the possible cause....
    Can it be a prob of mime type?what mime do you suggest for it>>?
    Waiting for your reply..

MIME type for 3gp video should be video/3gpp

Hope that helps,
    Sorcery

Can you please suggest me whether i shud change the mime type in the web server or the php header will do??

Thankyou for your co-operation

Sorry, I don't use php. Try it!

Sorcery