Discussion Board

SMS Message associated information?

Hi,
    I am new to SMS based developement. I have some questions on what kind of information we get as part of the SMS deliver Message:

1. Is there any way I can get the information of the device from which the SMS Message is sent? like the make of the cell phone and stuff...
    2. Does the SMS Message provide any location information...like the location from where the SMS message was sent from?

Is there any online resource which will help me in understanding all the boundaries and limitations associated with SMS messages.

I appreciate any help on this.

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: SMS Message associated information?

1) You can't get such information from SMS. Only GSM/UMTS operators have such information in theirs databases (each time your phone registers to the network such information is updated). If you develop server-side service (like premium rate SMSes, access to wallpapers&ringtones stuff) you can contact your local operator and make appropriate agreement and access to such data may be given to you.
    2) NO, the message doesn't provide such information (although operator has the knowledge by which base station the message had arrived)

I recommend to you checking 3GPP pages (http://www.3gpp.org/) - the organization that maintains the SMS specification.

BR,
    jack

Re: SMS Message associated information?

Quote Originally Posted by jack44 View Post
    1) You can't get such information from SMS. Only GSM/UMTS operators have such information in theirs databases (each time your phone registers to the network such information is updated). If you develop server-side service (like premium rate SMSes, access to wallpapers&ringtones stuff) you can contact your local operator and make appropriate agreement and access to such data may be given to you.
    2) NO, the message doesn't provide such information (although operator has the knowledge by which base station the message had arrived)

I recommend to you checking 3GPP pages (http://www.3gpp.org/) - the organization that maintains the SMS specification.

BR,
    jack
    Is there any way to determine the origin of the base station from an sms message sent to you?? Is there any caller id of some sort that determines what part of the country? How about sms service center? will the telephone company disclose such info? thanks in advance jack44