Discussion Board

Thwate Certificate... Will it work?

I have a multipurpose thwate certificate. Can I use it to sign my sis file ?
    Or does it necessarily has to be a verisign one?

I talked with the Symbian team, and got different answers from different people there.
    One response told me to look at the option of using thwate ACS Id with verisign and phone manufacturer.
    Another response said that thwate cannot be used instead of verisgn.

Does Symbian has a thwate root certificate already installed on it?

I talked to the thwate live chat. And they said that a thawte Code-Signing Javasoft certificate would work?

Anyone has used thwate ACS Id before?

-- Vink

Super Contributor

Re: Thwate Certificate... Will it work?

I hav'nt seen anything about Thawte being a Symbian root signer though
    I think you are getting confused between the Java/J2me signed program and the Symbian signed program.

Currently only Verisign is able to issue an ACSID that is derived from the Symbian root certificate. This also means you cannot use your own certificate or try to get your own certificate put on the phone as the Installer only checks for the Verisign Symbian root certificate.

It would be possible in future releases to add additional vendors but this would require that the device be reflashed so that the new CA is in ROM as the software installer only trusts ROM certificates.

Craig Heath has a book Called "Symbian Security" which I recommend as this should clear up an issues you have about signing and Symbian

The only other thing I can think of is to use the Thawte ACSID with the DevCertRequest tool and see if it works.

I am referring to this PDF
    http://www.symbian.com/symbiansigned...bianSigned.pdf

Pages 12-15 say that verisign certificate is only used by the Test houses to verify the ISVs and the SIS content received from them. The test house removes the ACS Id of verisign (which chains to Verisign root) and resigns it with new ACS Id (which chains to Symbian root). The SIS installer only trusts Symbian Root. (not Verisign root)

What do you mean by "Verisign Symbian root certificate"?
    The Symbian OS has only Symbian root and only SIS signed by Symbian Signed (not even by verisign) will work as only they chain to Symbian root.

So if the Verisign Certificate is only used for verifying the genuineness (i.e received SIS is not hacked in transmission) of the SIS why cant a Thwate Certificate be used instead?

I'm confused... Am I getting something wrong?

-- Vink

Super Contributor

And sorry I think I explained a bit badly. The test house will run an automated tool which as far as I know just checks for Verisign but as I don't have anything other than Versign so I don't know for sure and this is probably what is happening when you asked others.

There are 3/4 things you can do to test quickly.

1. Use the devcert request tool with your ACS ID and see if it generates a certificate.

2. Sign a sis file and check that it works on the phone (It should as you got a devcert)

3. If that works use the apptestlite program to see if it accepts your ACS signed sis file.

4. Check with your test house if it is ok - in which case step 3 would probably fail but it would be ok as your test house would have waived that test case.

You can get the tools here
    https://www.symbiansigned.com/app/pa...oductUpdates#3