Discussion Board

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

failed symbian signed testing due to uninstall warning

I have been trying to get an application symbian signed, but am having trouble. I thought I'd share.

My application includes a daemon, a process with is run after install and boot, and is supposed to run all the time the phone is on. It will 'do stuff' when the phone receives a call or message, or when it's been idle for a while.

When the user uninstalls the application, the application manager gives an error, saying it cannot uninstall the application because it has to close an application first, or words to that effect. This all makes sense to us developers, but I guess the test house thinks this will confuse the user and so they say we need to provide some way of avoiding this message.

On the advice of (I think) Nokia, we added a setting that will stop (and start) the daemon, and we add instructions in the release notes (a readme.txt file supplied with the sis file) and help files to tell the user to do stop the daemon using this setting if they want to uninstall.

Unfortunately, it just failed testing again, apparently for the same reason.

How do other people stop their daemon/server processes prior to uninstallation, and so avoid the warning?

Max.

Regular Contributor

Re: failed symbian signed testing due to uninstall warning

This should solve the problem: create small app that will do only one job - stop the deamon, and start this application during uninstallation procces.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Basically with 3rd edition, the error note it shown before anything for uninstallation is run, thus the method in previous post wouldn't work.

Anyway, Nokia's advise is correct, you should always provide a method that allows users to shut down your applications completely. Thus your demon need to really shut-down after the settings are indicating so (of course you can have a delay before doing so, for couple of seconds etc.).

You could for example download Task-Spy from www.PushL.Com, to see which processes are running, and you could verify with it that your deamon is actually exiting when requested.

yucca

Nokia Developer Champion

Smile Re: failed symbian signed testing due to uninstall warning

Hi,

Create one Console based exe "KillMyExe" which has code to kill your exe.
    like:
    Code:
    	TFindProcess findProc;
    	findProc.Find(_L("MyRunningExe*"));
    	TFullName procName;
    	TInt err = findProc.Next(procName);
    	if (!err)
    	{
    		RProcess process;
    		err = process.Open(procName, EOwnerThread);
    		if (!err)
    		{
    			process.Kill(KErrCancel);
    			process.Close();
    			console->Write(_L("Exe Deleted!\n"));
    			console->Printf(_L("Command line args: \"%S\"\n"), &aArgs);

}
    	}
    in KillMyExe.pkg file:
    "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR\Epoc32\release\gcce\urel\killmyexe.exe"-"!:\sys\bin\killmyexe.exe",RR

Now in your MyRunningExe.pkg: add following entry for Embedded Sis
    @"KillMyExe.sis",(0xe2e12345)
    "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR\Epoc32\release\gcce\UREL\MyRunningExe.exe"-"!:\sys\bin\MyRunningExe.exe",FR,RI

@yucca: Is it a viable solution or will it have other consequnces? Please suggest.

Regards.
    Kiran.

killing a process requires PowerMgmt capability, which you also need to declare, dunno if they have any comments on using it in this way.

Anyway Killing a process might not be clean always, also if you have some open files, you might end up having problems, my suggestions would be to implement some sort of communications process which with you could inform your deamon to shut itself down. Client-server or some file that the deamon will monitor etc..

yucca

Nokia Developer Champion

Hello Yucca,

Yes i have added PowerMgmt capability.
    The code i have listed out is a working one. It can kill MyRunningExe.

Anyways i appreciate your suggestions. Let me do something in that way too.
    Thanks for sharing.

Thanks & Regards.
    Kiran.
    Last edited by kiran10182; 2007-01-03 at 06:42.

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca
    Basically with 3rd edition, the error note it shown before anything for uninstallation is run, thus the method in previous post wouldn't work.

Anyway, Nokia's advise is correct, you should always provide a method that allows users to shut down your applications completely. Thus your demon need to really shut-down after the settings are indicating so (of course you can have a delay before doing so, for couple of seconds etc.).

You could for example download Task-Spy from www.PushL.Com, to see which processes are running, and you could verify with it that your deamon is actually exiting when requested.

yucca
    OK. I implemented the setting that switches the daemon on/off, and it works - I tested by trying to uninstall and seeing if I get the message (which is the acid test, since that's what the test house is complaining about). The code actually kills the process, so it might not be the best way - I'm pretty sure it's ok though, since the daemon only runs in response to messages which don't happen when the user is uninstalling.

The test house sent it back with the same complaint. I am suspecting they didn't RTFM, since I added instructions in the README file (release notes) and in the help files. I hope it gets through this time :||

That's really scary. Is your test house just trying to make a bit of money?

Don't they say exactly which test you are failing with that thing? (Like MEM-02 or PKG-03 for instance) What if you just create a waiver for that?

Of course thay say, you will always get fully detailed report on the test, whether you passed it or not. I have had very good experiences with the testing house's (usually using MPhasis), I have found then doing their work very professionally, but maybe sometimes they can be a bit too strict (they really need to be to be fully honest), but then you could try reasoning with Nokia testing to get a waiver, which they usually grand, provided that you have a good reason and you can communicate it right.

yucca

Regular Contributor

Hi,

I had a similar app which passed the symbian signed.
    On uninstall , that 'Unable to uninstall.. Close first ?' pop-up was present, pressing OK, my background server was killed by the un/installer and the rest of uninstall finished ok.

The test house should have not any reason to fail for this because:
    1. it is device behaviour
    2. there is not in the test criterias specified to fail the application due to that box. It is required that the app to install and uninstall correctly. (PKG-003,PKG-005, PKG-004, as far as i remember). All files to be removed. So, what if that box is shown ? Press OK, go uninstall ok. Nothing wrong.
    Wouldnt be ok, if pressing OK, the server will fail to close hanging the uninstaller which waits on it.
    3. if still unsure, rise a waiver to the test house and symbiansigned.com to before to send the app for tests.

regards,
    tek

davidmaxwaterman , was your server getting closed when a user presses "Ok" at uninstall time on the application Manager Dialog ? as tektronic explained in point 2?

Quote Originally Posted by sgonzaliz
    davidmaxwaterman , was your server getting closed when a user presses "Ok" at uninstall time on the application Manager Dialog ? as tektronic explained in point 2?
    The server is the app that the dialog is complaining about. It says it has to stop the server before it is uninstalled. It doesn't complain about not being successful at stopping the app/etc. If I stop the server manually, then it doesn't complain at all.

I'm not sure how I could confirm that the server is actually removed, but I tested the disk space, and it returns to it's previous size, which it wouldn't if the server was still installed, right? It certainly can't run if it's not installed....

HELP HELP HELP I TRY TO INSTALL ONE APSS .SIS ON MY PHONE BUT MY PHONE IS BLOCKED!!! ANY BODY KNOWS ANY APSS FOR WIN AND WHEN I CONNECT MY PHONE WHIT PC TO EXPLORE SIS APSS AND DELETE? BECOUSE WHEN THE PHONE IS STARTED IS BLOKED BUT I CAN EXPLORE FILE .... help

Nokia Developer Champion

Hello kromanionetz,

Welcome to the Forum Nokia.
    Quote Originally Posted by kromanionetz View Post
    HELP HELP HELP I TRY TO INSTALL ONE APSS .SIS ON MY PHONE BUT MY PHONE IS BLOCKED!!! ANY BODY KNOWS ANY APSS FOR WIN AND WHEN I CONNECT MY PHONE WHIT PC TO EXPLORE SIS APSS AND DELETE? BECOUSE WHEN THE PHONE IS STARTED IS BLOKED BUT I CAN EXPLORE FILE .... help
    Would you please elaborate more about your problem?

Which Phone model are you dealing with?
    How has it been blocked? In what sense?

Kiran.

Sorry about that , I have nokia 6120 and i get before 7 days.
    I install symbian antivirus program on my device and now wen i turn on , device open f-secure mobile and blocked !!! and i cant do anything else
    I need some program which I can open the sysetem folder in my device and uninstall this application . any have any idea ?! Thanks alot !!!!